Fixing stripped ECU screw for proper ground???!!!!

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
One of the screws to my ECU is loose / stripped. Cuda still starts so its not a ground issue yet. Anyway, I can't get my arm in far enough in the wheel well to use a nut to secure it properly. I was thinking a star lock washer on the fender well to ECU then another from the screw to the ECU in order to lock it in place for a proper ground. I really don't want to drill a new hole in the fender or drill a larger hole in the ECU for a larger screw. Fire away with your tips!

I have used weatherstrip adhesive to glue a nut with a captured lock washer to a coat hanger and fished it into place before. Just pull the coat hanger off when done

What I do sometimes is start the nut, then clamp vise grips to it to get it tight.

Take the wheel off....or is there a cavity between the fender apron metal and the wheel well metal?

Last edited:
I have used weatherstrip adhesive to glue a nut with a captured lock washer to a coat hanger and fished it into place before. Just pull the coat hanger off when done
That's one option...

You could use a machine screw and sandwich either side of inner fender with jam nuts and toothed washers? It will raise it up a bit to help cooling.

20231110_161646.jpg

A rivet nut/nutsert works best. You may be able to use/rent a tool from the parts store. Look it up.

What he said ^

This is just to get you in the right direction...

Part # 963-263D
About 10.00
They come in various sizes.

Find one that will have a head and screw size same as factory screw.

You might have to enlarge the sheet metal hole a bit.

Screenshot_20231110-153339.png

Since you can't get your hand behind it to use a nut, and you really don't want to drill it out larger; you have 2 options:
1.) Use a metric (oh, the horror!) screw that will use a slightly larger thread size- only you will know, and it's closer than going to the next SAE size.
2.) Take a small piece of copper wire, bend it into a "U" shape, and hook it in the hole. Then reinsert your original screw. The extra material of the copper wire will make up for the slop in the hole and allow the screw to tighten up.

I install rivnuts also...whether it needs it or not. I also run a ground strap to one of the mounting bolts. Use steel rivnuts, the aluminum ones dont hold very well. Since you now have a rivnut assortment, go ahead and fix that loose mirror on your door.

One of the screws to my ECU is loose / stripped. Cuda still starts so its not a ground issue yet. Anyway, I can't get my arm in far enough in the wheel well to use a nut to secure it properly. I was thinking a star lock washer on the fender well to ECU then another from the screw to the ECU in order to lock it in place for a proper ground. I really don't want to drill a new hole in the fender or drill a larger hole in the ECU for a larger screw. Fire away with your tips!
Being that I can access behind the cowl on most of my cars, I ran through with a bolt and used a lock washer under the nut.

-
Back