Foging an engine

-

HOW TO USE FOGGING OIL

22001_STA-BIL_Fogging-Oil_12oz-1-min-300x200.png
Automotive engine fogging is simple. Consider the administration of STA-BIL’s, top-rated fogging oilOpens a new window. The manufacturer recommends a six-step process:

1. Start the engine and remove the air filter.
2. While the engine is running, spray STA-BIL fogging oil into the air intake of each cylinder.
3. After 10 seconds, shut off the engine.
4. Remove the spark plugs – carefully!
5. Spray STA-BIL fogging oil into each cylinder via included extension tube for three seconds.
6. Replace spark plugs.
7. (Bonus step): Breathe easier.

Transmission fluid down a running engine does a great job. Get her smoking good and shut her down. I have I nice big spray bottle I use for this job and engine assembly.

I've done the ATF fluid down the carb a couple times. Worked good smoked like a b with an itch! Coats inside of exhaust too lol.
Transmission fluid down a running engine does a great job. Get her smoking good and shut her down. I have I nice big spray bottle I use for this job and engine assembly.

My grand paw always poured in the gas tank of vehicles ! I periodically pour some tranny fluid in my lawnmower gas tank ! I was told by an old lawnmower repair guy that tranny fluid keeps the valve stems and guides from wearing out ! To answer the op question, no I’ve never used it or seen it !

When I had my old wooden cabin cruiser with a 340 Chrysler Marine engine the service manual recommended that you pour oil in the carb slowly until it stalls .In spring you take the valve covers off and tap each valve to make sure they arent stuck so you don't bend a push rod when you first crank it.If you live in a damp place this would work well for car motors for long term storage .

In my 30 plus years of storing my muscle cars I have NEVER used fogging oil and I never have had any issues what so ever come start up time in the spring after sitting idle for 6 months...

OK I will stick to what I do every winter,fire her up twice over the winter,and I do run it for half hour,thanks for your thoughts all.

marvel mystery oil poured down carb works excellent , might smoke when started, doesn't foul plugs. been using it long time, i pour it down each carb bore, about a cap full, each one, open throttle blades and crank engine over, usually couple revs, then back rocker shafts off,cover carb with towel,good for all winter,, just food for thought

marvel mystery oil poured down carb works excellent , might smoke when started, doesn't foul plugs. been using it long time, i pour it down each carb bore, about a cap full, each one, open throttle blades and crank engine over, usually couple revs, then back rocker shafts off,cover carb with towel,good for all winter,, just food for thought
This^^^^You can also easily fog the motor using the ported or manifold vacuum sucking from a bottle.

fire her up twice over the winter
:thumbsup:

FWIW, I fog my boat I/O engine only because it hibernates outside in the elements over winter months. I also use Stabil in all fuel for it.

I've never fogged any car engines that can have run time every month or so.

We fog the race engines when they are going to sit more than 6 months. The fogging oil coats the cylinders and such as it is “sticky”. I don’t fog my 340 over the winter, but I do try to start her every month.

-
Back