For those who like to cook

-
Seeing as how I was a fireman for more than 30 years. I've done a lot of cooking. Dinner by far is my favorite. I do a lot of Spanish or Cuban meals. Peccadillo, yellow rice and chicken, Pollio Asado, Spagetti,etc. I use venison in place of beef.

For those of you who like to cook, what meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner ) do you most like to cook for; and what??

Myself, breakfast and home fries

All of them, breakfast the most! Every mmotning except Thurday. Pay day I have my local deli whip me up something on my chores route.
I absoultely love scrambled eggs and home fries.
Lunch I give and take on. Love cold cuts.... a bit to much maybe. But a Dagwood I can do day in and out almost.
IF I am cooking dinner, then experimenting with my son is a great laugh and a wonderful time together. I'm not the most....exotic chef....but cook and have fun we do.

Oh yeah, I forgot one of my breakfast favorites. Baked chive and onion hash browns. Goes great with scrambled eggs and bacon...

CB05CA14-ECFC-43AF-BB95-F8525AFD7CBE.jpeg

Thanks now I am HUNGRY!!!! LOL

Thanks now I am HUNGRY!!!! LOL

To that I would say "mission accomplished"..........some mighty tasty vittles been put up here, though how do you manage to get pictures, best I could do is an empty dirty plate:D

Pot roast!

I feel unprepared because I have no pictures,never lasts long enough!

Prime rib, black eye peas, spinach maria and cornbread yesterday!

My favorite time to cook is when the grandkids spend the night. I get up the next morning & it's home made pancakes with thick sliced country bacon. It seems I've made them well, they tell their moms that POPPOP makes the best pancakes.

I do a fair bit of cooking, my favourite meal to cook is sunday dinner, always cooked while I drink a bottle of red, usually something in the crockpot, simmered on the stove for hours or cooked in the oven, I like it when the house smells like cooking.

My favourites to cook otherwise are tacos, teriyaki salmon or steaks on the grill.

Two of my latest kicks are fried rice and home canned sockey salmon, I bought myself a big pressure cooker for the salmon.

IMG_20180917_193657.jpg

IMG_20181006_133721.jpg

IMG_20181006_171249.jpg

I do a fair bit of cooking, my favourite meal to cook is sunday dinner, always cooked while I drink a bottle of red, usually something in the crockpot, simmered on the stove for hours or cooked in the oven, I like it when the house smells like cooking.

My favourites to cook otherwise are tacos, teriyaki salmon or steaks on the grill.

Two of my latest kicks are fried rice and home canned sockey salmon, I bought myself a big pressure cooker for the salmon.

View attachment 1715269897

View attachment 1715269902

View attachment 1715269903

I love sockeye salmon I eat it 3 times a week but I buy it in a can I wish we could get it here I would do 100 pints up .I do lots of canning but for fish I do mackerel and herring with 2 drops of liquid smoke awesome .

I love sockeye salmon I eat it 3 times a week but I buy it in a can I wish we could get it here I would do 100 pints up .I do lots of canning but for fish I do mackerel and herring with 2 drops of liquid smoke awesome .
I was fortunate enough to get out deckhanding on a commercial troller for a couple of weeks this summer and brought home some fresh sockeye. I used to commercial fish when I was younger but stepped away from it when it came time to raise a family. My wife thinks that I am nuts for taking holidays from my real job to go work on a fishboat, but she loves the canned sockeye!

I would love to get out on the west coast tuna fishery.

IMG_20180810_092154.jpg

Wow! You guys are making me HUNGRY!! Left th house thos AM at 10 just got back from running all kinds of errands, not it is 3:30.

I was fortunate enough to get out deckhanding on a commercial troller for a couple of weeks this summer and brought home some fresh sockeye. I used to commercial fish when I was younger but stepped away from it when it came time to raise a family. My wife thinks that I am nuts for taking holidays from my real job to go work on a fishboat, but she loves the canned sockeye!

I would love to get out on the west coast tuna fishery.

View attachment 1715269912

If you ever come to the east coast I can hook you up to a giant Bluefin tuna 400 to 1200 pounds great fun on the pole . commercial fishing is a great job lots of the unexpected but it's not for everyone you need to be able to work hard and long there is no such thing as an 8 hour day lol

I like to cook a lot. Most of what I like to make falls into the pasta category, but there is a bunch outside that.

Here are a few examples..

Spam and cheese sliders
View attachment 1715269759

Fried rice and spam
View attachment 1715269760

Vegetable lasagne
View attachment 1715269761

Fired squirrel View attachment 1715269762

Mac and cheese bacon bowls
View attachment 1715269763

Mushroom Alfredo Florentine over shells
View attachment 1715269764

Chicken Parikash
View attachment 1715269765

Can I please get a recipe for your Spam Flied Lice!

My wife turned up her nose and said Yuck!

I have to try it!

Can I please get a recipe for your Spam Flied Lice!

My wife turned up her nose and said Yuck!

I have to try it!
Sure, and it’s easy to make. Different kinds of spam can be used depending on your preference. I like to use the low sodium hickory smoked.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 ounces Spam, diced
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup frozen diced carrots
  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • Sriracha, for serving

Directions:
  1. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add eggs and cook until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side, flipping only once. Let cool before dicing into small pieces.
  2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and Spam, and cook, stirring often, until light golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add corn, peas and carrots. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender, about 1-2 minutes.
  4. Add rice and gently toss to combine.
  5. Add soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
  6. Stir in green onions and eggs.
  7. Serve immediately, drizzled with Sriracha, if desired.

Today it's black eyed peas with a hambone, rice, collard greens, and cornbread. Mmm Mmm.

Now, that's what I would LOVE to have for supper. Unfortunately, my wife and I are on a fairly restricted diet for the time being. One of my favorites is pan fried halibut or grouper.

Cut filet into steaks about 2" wide
Soak in beaten egg
Remove from egg and season with sea salt, red pepper, dried cilantro flakes
Sprinkle with almond flour, turn to season and flour other side
Cook in open non-stick skillet with about a tablespoon of olive or avocado oil
Use tongs (fish is delicate) to turn and brown on both sides

I serve with asparagus, cole slaw, roasted red potatoes, broiled tomatoes, or any combination of these.

All of this is done with at least 1 margarita applied. Tequila IS allowed on this diet.

Dinner.

I like making things I've never made before to see where I can improve.

Everyone begs me to grille steaks, though.

Pretty hard to beat a Full English fry up for breakfast..
Not very sexy but I love making soups in the cold months!

I'll try pretty much anything. I have a good recipe for Chicken Chili. I throw baby backs, pork butt, and brisket on the smoker. It all turns out good. I brew up some pretty good beer
7-4-18 2.jpg
7-21-18.jpg
brisket6.jpg
that a few of you guys have tried.

Now, that's what I would LOVE to have for supper. Unfortunately, my wife and I are on a fairly restricted diet for the time being. One of my favorites is pan fried halibut or grouper.

Cut filet into steaks about 2" wide
Soak in beaten egg
Remove from egg and season with sea salt, red pepper, dried cilantro flakes
Sprinkle with almond flour, turn to season and flour other side
Cook in open non-stick skillet with about a tablespoon of olive or avocado oil
Use tongs (fish is delicate) to turn and brown on both sides

I serve with asparagus, cole slaw, roasted red potatoes, broiled tomatoes, or any combination of these.

All of this is done with at least 1 margarita applied. Tequila IS allowed on this diet.
I am so going to try this one. Guaranteed to win me some brownie points with my wife. Have you done it with fish other than halibut?

I am so going to try this one. Guaranteed to win me some brownie points with my wife. Have you done it with fish other than halibut?
Do it just for the halibut. :rofl:

-
Back