Found a 70 Coronet R/T ???

-
I'm in no hurry to check out the VIN, more of a curiousity issue anyways. Maybe I get a few shots of the VIN and the underside to post so everyone can tell more about this car, negative and/or positive. haha

I haven't found any more info regarding this oddity ; most info is related to :

- Mexican-built "A" Bodies

- Mexican-built "F" Bodies

- Brasilian "A" Bodies

- (some) info , Brasilian '72 Charger R/T

- Austrailian "A" Bodies

- Aussie "B" / "C" Body variations

- South African "A" Bodies (383-powered '66 Barracuda ?? )

This is probably a very rare car , as most people in Mexico's border towns couldn't afford much more than an "A" Body.
This is not meant as an insult ; their economy has long been in the proverbial shitter .

Another possibility is that it's a U.S.-built , export-spec Coronet , whose hood was swapped for a Hustle Stuff piece (yes , Hustle Stuff and Direct Connection had a home-grown presence in Mexico as well).

Its v.i.n. might be WH23G0A or of the like , with a Y09 on its fender tag / build sheet .

As a side note : back in the 90's I found a 1976 Duster in the local pick-a-part . Didn't look too unusual ; however , something told me to check it out ...

It was an international-spec build ( "I" on the fender tag ) , 318 with a 4 speed . The designated-country tag was missing ( I could see where it once was riveted on the firewall ) , so who knows where it was exported to originally ?

It was MB8 Blue with B8 Blue interior ; was lacking in any emissions' equipment ; its rear view mirror was still 'headliner' mounted ; and it had no radio .

Too bad that it was trashed beyond reproach :cry: . I did , however , help myself to its fender tag :D

I dunno what it WAS, but what it is, is a hack job, check out that awsome wiring job on the ECU, Trunk gaps, dirty interior ect........

As LH23 said that is in fact a Mexican Coronet which was marketed as a Coronet 500, not an R/T. They came with the 318 4bbl rated at 270HP (due to 340 top ends, thanks LH23 for the info) therfore the hood emblems. Who ever put this car together made a damn mess thats for sure and killed any collector value by throwing that 440 and torque flite in it as im sure the value with the 318ci/270hp and 4 speed combo would have made it a rare piece of Mopar muscle for any fan in the northern countries.

Thanks , Rudy , for your reply to my message as well as your reply to this post :glasses7: .

I'd say go peruse it again , but this time , take its power steering reservoir cap .
Why ?
'Cause it's the original Stant cap , and it's not available either in O.E.M. nor is it being reproduced !

Too bad this thing is so freakin' butchered :wack: . It certainly must be a rare car --- both in its homeland , and even more-so here in the U.S. !

by the looks of the engine bay it might possibly be a orange, but i know body work, and that car is carved out of bondo, inder all that putty it might even be a 69 roadrunner....lol

You are all nit picking this car to pieces and every one of you is missing the most important thing. This is a rare, one of one car. I have never seen and clutch shifted automatic before. It has to be rare. This thing is a must have for any serious collector.

I plan to check the car out this Thanksgiving weekend again. I'll get the VIN number and see what we exactly have. Being that it is a "buy-here, pay-here" beside a military installation, the owner is probably wanting an arm and a leg and is hopeing some young Private walks in and buys it, (and probably crashes or runs it into the ground). I will bet they are asking more than the car is worth. Beside it in the pictures is a 61 Ford Galaxie with 31,000 thousand original miles, 292 V8, three speed tranny that they are asking $4k for. I will keep you all posted, and humored.

i dont buy the "clutch shifted automatic thing" they probably changed the column out when they put the automatic in it as that was the only way they had to shift it. and that is if they didnt put the clutch/brake assembly in it. definitely a pieced together ride

I like it.

How cool would a factory 318 4 bbl 4 speed B body be?

..and if that's a factory steel hood..

Bet it's a long time before any of us see another one.

I'm very interested in seeing the VIN.

I saw a Mexican A body that had a thick plate poorly welded to the frame horn that was supposed to be the VIN. If this one's the same...

4K is not too bad for a 31000 mile early 60s Galaxie. You sure it isn't 4K DOWN and $400 a month for 4 years?

You are all nit picking this car to pieces and every one of you is missing the most important thing. This is a rare, one of one car. I have never seen and clutch shifted automatic before. It has to be rare. This thing is a must have for any serious collector.

Well that's why so many people miss out on truly rare cars. They only look as far as messy wiring, a swapped column and some bondo and automatically mentally write it off.

Who CARES about the wiring, who CARES about pedals, who cares about the paint on it?? Look at what it IS.

When I look at an old car I look right past all that CRAP and find out what kind of bones it has and whether it's something worthwhile.

People out to be whining about paint and wiring and trim on a $30,000 restored car, not some car-lot cheapy.

Well that's why so many people miss out on truly rare cars. They only look as far as messy wiring, a swapped column and some bondo and automatically mentally write it off.

Who CARES about the wiring, who CARES about pedals, who cares about the paint on it?? Look at what it IS.

When I look at an old car I look right past all that CRAP and find out what kind of bones it has and whether it's something worthwhile.

People out to be whining about paint and wiring and trim on a $30,000 restored car, not some car-lot cheapy.

I guess it's time for me to jump in here.
Well, where do i start?
I agree with you somewhat TylerW.
The reason for my posts and scrutinization of this car are as follows:

(1) I didn't want Button to buy a car (or anyone else for that matter) that was in fact as you call it a ''car-lot cheapy'' which this one obviously is.
(2) Every car has potential, but, not many people are willing to bring a car like this to it's former glory as in, how it was like when it was delivered and in an ''as new'' restored condition.
(3) If it was a rare Mexican car, for example, how easy would it be to restore it when it's been obviously pieced together with a lot of incorrect parts, the correct parts would be difficult, if not impossible to find to do a proper resto on the car in my opinion.
(4) Rare doesn't always equal desirable or even cost effective when it comes to restorations.
(5) The cost to restore a car in this condition would exceed the price of $30,000 including the purchase price of the car by a good margin in my opinion. Be realistic.
(6) I have owned and driven over 100 mopars in my life, including 10 Coronets, and in my experience, after looking at a lot of cars, i know sh*t from shinola, and this one is sh*t.

You can hate me or my opinions if you like, but the bottom line is this is the kind of car that is cobbled together trying to find an unsuspecting buyer with a boatload of dreams for it and after they drive it for awhile and the real problems arise from the shoddy way that this car is put together, it will end up either being parted out, crashed, sold to someone else who is a sucker, or another still born project in a back yard, which is probably where it originated in the first place.
Rare? Maybe.
Cool? Sure.
Worthwhile? Not a freakin' chance.

We would love to save them all, i'm guilty of that, but sometimes they need to be seen for what they really are.
It's a labour of love, not the resale value you need to look at when you restore a car.
Barret Jackson prices and hype don't apply here in this case.

So, i need to ask you this question,
Why aren't you there buying it right now if it's so great?

Cheers, :evil4:
Tom.

Its purchase price might be worth it sum-of-parts (440 engine ; 727 ; exclusive-to-1970 trim ; that unique hood and its emblem ) .

Now , all things being equal , I wonder if this poor car would be actually worth its price if it had its original small block / 4 speed / Dana 44 drivetrain combo ?

I guess it's time for me to jump in here.
Well, where do i start?
I agree with you somewhat TylerW.
The reason for my posts and scrutinization of this car are as follows:

(1) I didn't want Button to buy a car (or anyone else for that matter) that was in fact as you call it a ''car-lot cheapy'' which this one obviously is.
(2) Every car has potential, but, not many people are willing to bring a car like this to it's former glory as in, how it was like when it was delivered and in an ''as new'' restored condition.
(3) If it was a rare Mexican car, for example, how easy would it be to restore it when it's been obviously pieced together with a lot of incorrect parts, the correct parts would be difficult, if not impossible to find to do a proper resto on the car in my opinion.
(4) Rare doesn't always equal desirable or even cost effective when it comes to restorations.
(5) The cost to restore a car in this condition would exceed the price of $30,000 including the purchase price of the car by a good margin in my opinion. Be realistic.
(6) I have owned and driven over 100 mopars in my life, including 10 Coronets, and in my experience, after looking at a lot of cars, i know sh*t from shinola, and this one is sh*t.

You can hate me or my opinions if you like, but the bottom line is this is the kind of car that is cobbled together trying to find an unsuspecting buyer with a boatload of dreams for it and after they drive it for awhile and the real problems arise from the shoddy way that this car is put together, it will end up either being parted out, crashed, sold to someone else who is a sucker, or another still born project in a back yard, which is probably where it originated in the first place.
Rare? Maybe.
Cool? Sure.
Worthwhile? Not a freakin' chance.

We would love to save them all, i'm guilty of that, but sometimes they need to be seen for what they really are.
It's a labour of love, not the resale value you need to look at when you restore a car.
Barret Jackson prices and hype don't apply here in this case.

So, i need to ask you this question,
Why aren't you there buying it right now if it's so great?

Cheers, :evil4:
Tom.
i agree 100%. it not just that the paint sucks...its what it may be hiding. obviously from the looks of the engine bay,its been painted at least 3 times and from the looks of the body work it is most indeed a mud shark. and from the looks of the wiring and other mismatched pieces and parts , who knows how long it will run before it catches fire and burns to the ground. on the other side of things and coming from experience(i myself have had 2 70 bees,3 70 500's and 3 R/T's and half a dozen 70 coronet 440 4 four doors) i know how hard to find the body pieces and parts are and that the 70 coronets are a one year only body design.the only interchange is the drivetrain and suspension (you could physically bolt on 68 and 69 stuff but it would not be correct although i believe the doors maybe the same) given that, and the fact that it maybe a 318/4 speed car it maybe somewhat rare.in all my days with the 70's,i have never seen a factory hood like that and it may be desirable.but ,are you going to DRIVE it or buy it for VALUE? that is why we are NIT picking because the questions were asked and input was requested as it was being considered as a purchase and we are giving answers as to what we see and what it may be worth. i myself would not pay more than 1500 for it and i would drive the crap out of it and if i discovered in the mean time that it was in fact rare and worth dumping 40k into it to restore then maybe i would.but who cares how RARE it is any way? you are never going to get back the 80k you sunk into it . cant we all just buy them,build them,and enjoy them, without worrying about how much friggin value they hold? that is why prices have shot through the roof and made it almost impossible for average people to buy mopars.because all these people convince all the folks with deep pockets of how RARE a car is and next the you know you have people scouring the country picking up every 68 charger they see and selling piles of scrap for outrageous prices and driving the market through the roof. JMO

i agree 100%. it not just that the paint sucks...its what it may be hiding. obviously from the looks of the engine bay,its been painted at least 3 times and from the looks of the body work it is most indeed a mud shark. and from the looks of the wiring and other mismatched pieces and parts , who knows how long it will run before it catches fire and burns to the ground. on the other side of things and coming from experience(i myself have had 2 70 bees,3 70 500's and 3 R/T's and half a dozen 70 coronet 440 4 four doors) i know how hard to find the body pieces and parts are and that the 70 coronets are a one year only body design.the only interchange is the drivetrain and suspension (you could physically bolt on 68 and 69 stuff but it would not be correct although i believe the doors maybe the same) given that, and the fact that it maybe a 318/3 speed car it maybe somewhat rare.in all my days with the 70's,i have never seen a factory hood like that and it may be desirable.but ,are you going to DRIVE it or buy it for VALUE? that is why we are NIT picking because the questions were asked and input was requested as it was being considered as a purchase and we are giving answers as to what we see and what it may be worth. i myself would not pay more than 1500 for it and i would drive the crap out of it and if i discovered in the mean time that it was in fact rare and worth dumping 40k into it to restore then maybe i would.but who cares how RARE it is any way? you are never going to get back the 80k you sunk into it . cant we all just buy them,build them,and enjoy them, without worrying about how much friggin value they hold? that is why prices have shot through the roof and made it almost impossible for average people to buy mopars.because all these people convince all the folks with deep pockets of how RARE a car is and next the you know you have people scouring the country picking up every 68 charger they see and selling piles of scrap for outrageous prices and driving the market through the roof. JMO

Thanks for the back up.

To the OP

Can you take more pics when you go an look at it? Some of the underside of the hood, the VIN & fender tag. Looks like the car may have been white originally? Even if you're not interested in buying it try to find out some more details about it. Even though its hacked up it may be worth restoring to the right person.

Also, if its a Mexican car the model year may not be a 70

It is a mexican Coronet and thats for sure, that hood even here in Mexico is HARD to find. No one would bring a US car then piece it up with the most random mexican parts and then take it back to the US and install the 440, steering column and what ever else. My best bet is some young guy from the US came over the border and saw it sitting in the street rotting away and bought it for a few thousand pesos, some how got it back accross the border and then "hot rodded" it with all the "correct" parts like the 440, auto trans and shifters you see here (oh because this thing was mopar's 1st attempt at manual/auto shifting trans, lol).
On the collectors value/relevance matter topic, i think i've seen a lot of cars in way worst shape restored to show quality. Now if its worth the time or money it all depends on who is looking at it, some people in the US find muscle cars from Australia, Canada, Mexico even more interesting and valuable. For some other people anything made south of the border, nazy germany, the middle east or asia isnt worth a dime and no explanations will make them change their mind.
Like Dartnut said and i quote "It's a labour of love, not the resale value you need to look at when you restore a car.
Barret Jackson prices and hype don't apply here in this case." Bet he'd go nuts and find very restorable this mexican '69 Dart GTS 318 4bbl, 4 speed Hurst shifted basket case my dad is had waiting restoration for over a decade "waiting on it to collect value" lol.

I'm in no hurry to check out the VIN, more of a curiousity issue anyways. Maybe I get a few shots of the VIN and the underside to post so everyone can tell more about this car, negative and/or positive. haha

i would love to know every detail about this thing.it really has sparked my interest and i want to know the entire vin# and the fender tag if there is one. and if there is even a 4 speed hump any more because it sure didnt look like there was one. and yes underside of the hood would be nice that way we could tell if it is factory. i love 70 B bodies and i want to know more please !!

To the OP

Can you take more pics when you go an look at it? Some of the underside of the hood, the VIN & fender tag. Looks like the car may have been white originally? Even if you're not interested in buying it try to find out some more details about it. Even though its hacked up it may be worth restoring to the right person.

Also, if its a Mexican car the model year may not be a 70

yeah,it may bee a 86 model.....it's interesting

Well I went back to the car today and looked it over again. My digital camera died when I attempted the first picture, which drew a string of colorful words from me! A pictures worth a thousand words, so having no batteries really pissed me off. However this small photo was taken with my sons phone and is of the fender tag. It seems to say the following;
E44 D31 820 S77
?1 1X T?
A31 072123 F?223

The "?" means I wasnt sure about that digit. The dash had two rivets but no VIN tag attached, but it did not appear that the old one had been removed, (no scratches or damage in that area). One small tag was found in the driver door jam, by the upper door hinge. It was heavily painted over but the number appeared to match what was on the insurance paper work listed below.

Looking in the ash tray I found the current insurance slip and they listed the vehicles Identification Number as, T0102123, a 1970 Dodge Coronet. The glove box door said Coronet 440.

The hood was steel, and if I remember correctly, was painted black, top and bottom. Speedometer was a 200KPH one and appeared in good shape.

The clutch pedal did nothing and was positioned against the firewall. Shifter was a B&M setup.

I had a 69 Coronet 440, 4-door with a 318, while stationed at Fort Stewart, GA back in 93-95, so I am somewhat familiar with these cars.

Hope this info helps figure out what this car is, not that I'm looking to buy it.

Attachments

• 1970 Coronet fender tag.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 149
Rudy, so is that hood with those inserts stock on Mexican Coronet?

Is that a special model Coronet with that hood? Or did all Coronet have that hood?

At first, I thought someone took a Mexican Dart GTS hood and welded to a 70 coronet hood. Maybe not?

It is a mexican Coronet and thats for sure, that hood even here in Mexico is HARD to find. No one would bring a US car then piece it up with the most random mexican parts and then take it back to the US and install the 440, steering column and what ever else. My best bet is some young guy from the US came over the border and saw it sitting in the street rotting away and bought it for a few thousand pesos, some how got it back accross the border and then "hot rodded" it with all the "correct" parts like the 440, auto trans and shifters you see here (oh because this thing was mopar's 1st attempt at manual/auto shifting trans, lol).
On the collectors value/relevance matter topic, i think i've seen a lot of cars in way worst shape restored to show quality. Now if its worth the time or money it all depends on who is looking at it, some people in the US find muscle cars from Australia, Canada, Mexico even more interesting and valuable. For some other people anything made south of the border, nazy germany, the middle east or asia isnt worth a dime and no explanations will make them change their mind.
Like Dartnut said and i quote "It's a labour of love, not the resale value you need to look at when you restore a car.
Barret Jackson prices and hype don't apply here in this case." Bet he'd go nuts and find very restorable this mexican '69 Dart GTS 318 4bbl, 4 speed Hurst shifted basket case my dad is had waiting restoration for over a decade "waiting on it to collect value" lol.

-
Back