Getting fed up of high-perf , being happy with less

-
In my mind it's always a question of striking a balance. Where is the spot where the extra horsepower starts to interfere with what I want to do with the car.

I like the gas station conversations.
Last year my wife and I drove across the country mostly on 2 lane blacktop. I sure was glad she chose the Plum Crazy paint! Every little stop somebody would come over and strike up a conversation - lots of Dart stories from their long gone one, to Aunt Sadie's Dart, to my grandpa's Dart... Part of seeing the country was meeting hundreds of folks and having conversations.
DSC05757.JPG

DSC05203.JPG

Geez...I resemble that remark!!!! and proud to have lived this long!! :BangHead: :rofl: :steering: :poke:
I should've said I'm 65. I just missed the original musclecar era., but I've owned my share. I always wanted to build a fast street-strip car. But family responsibilities never allowed a completed project. Now, retired, I have my 11.4X '87 (original owner) Mustang and 11.8X '71 Duster clone (74 Dart Sport). Both street legal, and yes, impractical. I enjoy them both.
I don't know man. So far, my knees are holdin out, so I'm not comin down. lol I love to shift and I'm gonna have a manual as long as possible. When and if I need to go automatic, I have several slant 6 transmissions behind the shop. lol
I'm fortunate enough to have my physical abilities, too. I taught myself to powershift VW bugs back in the late 70's. They weren't fast, but I know that the secrets to a quick shift are; preloading the shifter, and concentrating on getting the clutch out at least as fast as it's pushed in. (And of course, the gas never leaves the floor!)

There's a lot to be said about the old quote, "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow". My '74 4 cyl. stick shift Mustang was an absolute blast to drive. Aforementioned shifting technique, and a passenger would use the tunnel mounted brake lever to chirp the tires on the shifts!

And, in respect to old school muscle, my '70 Challenger R/T with 383, pistol grip 4 spd and 3.91 gear (factory), demanded respect when driven using above technique. Not possible, because of the parking brake pedal location, but no brake tricks were needed to chirp them, for sure!

But I get the opinions expressed. That's why our daily is a '07 4 cyl., 31 mpg Accord. Heading to Chicago via Virginia and Kentucky in a month. We (my wife and I), took it to Florida for 3 weeks in February.

Last edited:
Life is funny at times. From around 1976-1983 the friends I met while I worked at a gas station are all still living. I met them after being semi challenged to a street race. One had a high winding 283 in a 67 chevelle, one in a 1968 Camaro with a 327, and a 1967 mustang with a 390 in it, and me having a 1972 Duster with a 340 in it. All four speed cars. The friend with the 68 Camaro was a twin and his brother bought a 1969 Z28 Camaro with a 302. The 1967 mustang (bright yellow) 4:30 gears just rattled the glass at the gas station when he drove by the station. When I was challenged I wanted him first. I beat him and after the race had a hole in my bypass hose. Mitch had tape and we taped it up and drive home. The friendship we made that night still lasts today. For approximately 7 years we raced each other and out of towners 5-7 days a week. And two track days. Several others friends had nice cars but didn’t join our races. All these years later the 1969 Z still is owned by my friend that street drives it. The 1968 Camaro is still owned by the other twin but it sits in a garage. Mitch eventually went with a 428 in his mustang which I could still beat and he later sold it. Out of a crew that lived to race I’m the only one still doing it. Man we lived during a great time.

In my mind it's always a question of striking a balance. Where is the spot where the extra horsepower starts to interfere with what I want to do with the car.

Last year my wife and I drove across the country mostly on 2 lane blacktop. I sure was glad she chose the Plum Crazy paint! Every little stop somebody would come over and strike up a conversation - lots of Dart stories from their long gone one, to Aunt Sadie's Dart, to my grandpa's Dart... Part of seeing the country was meeting hundreds of folks and having conversations.
View attachment 1716254983
View attachment 1716254985

I like the easy going talks and people remembering there old cars they had. I give a decent amount of Lee way to the brain forgetting exactly or details and even screw ups, but when the bull **** flys, in turn off.

The majority of people are really good people smiling and remembering the old days or even something recent. Screw ups like “I had a stock 489 Pontiac Tri power car and ….”

That’s supposed to be 389. Not a big deal at all. I’m cool with that.

This is one reason why I chose the camshaft I did for Vixen's engine. It's only .465 lift. I wanted to keep the lift low, so as not to run into any problems having to use a spring with lots of pressure. I knew it would last a long time. Even though the engine isn't stock and sounds pretty nasty, it won't hurt a thing and should last a very long time. With the exception of going around and tightening bolts from time to time. lol It's been a little over three years now and she's still runnin fine. I had an old guy I worked for as a kid say once that a true high performance engine only lasts about a year or so before it needs to be refreshed. He of course was talking about old school high compression, big cam builds and in a lot of cases, he was right. Higher than stock cylinder pressure, camshaft lift, valve sprAng pressure can all lead to lower than stock life expectancy. Especially when the end user mashes the loud pedal a lot. Just one more reason I just love to cruise old Vixen around and have a good time. Hopefully for a long time.
Hey Rusty, do you have a thread for your build?

Thank you. You guys are right about keeping it simple. I was enjoying the car so much that it took me 8 months to get parts and swap an 8 3/4 and front disc conversion/ well actually the car was only on stands for a month for me to do the work. I just kept delaying because the slant was so enjoyable to daily drive. Now it's back on the road since last Sunday and I have put 500 miles on it just daily driving, getting familiarized with the new disc brakes and gear. Why should I keep f ing with this car. I'm 55 and just need to enjoy this beauty.

As you get older, just driving the cars is enjoyable. I don't need to burn tires a city block.

A joke I always make is when I was young I had all the time in the world but no money to work on my Dart. Almost 20 years later and I’m married with a kid and the same Dart. Now I don’t have the time OR the money to work on the Dart. I’d be tickled to death to be able just to drive it once a month but the minute something minor needs fixed it’s weeks before I have time to even look at it.

Im housing a 68 firebird for a friend for a couple years while he goes abroad. 4 speed 400 and a little ratty. I get to work the bugs out while driving it. easy stuff. overheating or rattles. The barracuda is an 6 year project and who knows how that will drive, lord knows I haven't driven it. Then there is the Duster...../6 auto granny with shitty paint. perfect. I'd like to drive a fast car fast, but there is a price to pay, that I do pay....occasionally......but driving a slow car fast, well.....all ya gotta do is make it safe!

Great thread.

I'm so on board with the OP on this one!! My last car was a '73 Dart, w2 headed, 416 CI 4 speed car with 4:30 geared rear end... Fun car and pretty reliable but it wasn't what I wanted it to be. Sold all our cars in anticipation of moving south... (last car was sold in 2018)... Never moved (yet) and I wanted another "toy". I now currently have the'65 Valliant pictured in my avatar. 340, auto, 3:55 rear and a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb. Simple yet totally drivable. My only issue is cold starts. Other than that, we can drive this car anywhere as long as it's not too hot (no A/C) :(

View attachment 1716254983
View attachment 1716254985
That’s a striking car

Im housing a 68 firebird for a friend for a couple years while he goes abroad. 4 speed 400 and a little ratty. I get to work the bugs out while driving it. easy stuff. overheating or rattles. The barracuda is an 6 year project and who knows how that will drive, lord knows I haven't driven it. Then there is the Duster...../6 auto granny with shitty paint. perfect. I'd like to drive a fast car fast, but there is a price to pay, that I do pay....occasionally......but driving a slow car fast, well.....all ya gotta do is make it safe!

Great thread.
Pictures of the Bird ? I love 68s !

My situation I sold the 11 second duster because all the guys I ran with stop racing,The car sat in the garage for 5 years so I let it go but..as soon as the wife retires and we relocate I'll be buying something else you can count on that by the way I'm 63 :) :) :)

Pictures of the Bird ? I love 68s !
Don't pay any attention to that rigged gas line. I was trying to figure out fuel pressure. It used to be a drag car. Im experimenting with a 2:50 rear ratio and a 3:42 first in the super T10. No real traction in the car and plenty of torque so i basically get OD.

20161223_113653.jpg

20161223_113615.jpg

20161223_120254.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

Great example here:
20240610_172423.jpg

My brother recently bought this 68 GT, has a mild 318 with an Edelbrock top end, 727 transmission, 8.75 rear with 3.23s and a sure grip. Not the fastest car by any means, but it ain't no slouch either. Body and interior are very nice and it drives really well. Big bolt disc brakes with power assist stops it decently. Great driver IMHO.

-
Back