Good Years or Phoniex?

-

dusterdragracer

Drag Racer
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am running Hoosiers, always have on all my cars, but they don't make a tire to fit my mini tub Valiant. I am running 29.5 X 11.5 W which are 13.5 wide. I love them, but I have gone from S/S springs to Caltracs w/ mono's & and narrowed 9".I got them as centered as I can (like 3/8th" inside to frame, and about 1 1/2" outside). The wheel wells are jacked out but they still rub.I don't want to jack the car up again like it was either.(see before and after photo's)
What are better, Good Years, or Phoniex? They both make a 12.5 wide tire.And do you run Tubes or not with your choice.
I want to run S/ST so with the 5 teeth's Pro Tree, I need all the tire I can get.
Thanks Guys
Chris

Attachments

• GetAttachment[1].jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 279
  • pik 307.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 255
I would try and talk to both with your combo and weigh your options. Congrats on giving the class a shot. If I had to choose, i would probably look at Goodyear's and they would surely require tubes. Just curious to your approach, are you hitting them hard with a big mph 10.0 car on the stop, or are you running just under the index trying to make it work?

Not running the class yet.Still running S/P. I would be close to the 10:90 index as the car runs 10:70's @ sea level.The index is 11:20 here @ 2500', I run 11:15's.
Instead of a throttle stop, which I ran on my S/G Daytona, I might use a under carb. stop (slider), because I also would like to run 'D' gas at nostalgia races, which doesn't allow any electronics, with a 4th's Pro tree.(my delay box is on a plug for quick removal)
I have also changed the combo to 4:57's was running 4:30's. When I 1st ran the car last year. I was running 4:89's which were a bit too low, but ran 11:0's at our track..My freind talked me into the 4:30's but with the glide I felt they were too tall.
The car was consistant with the SS springs,, but it "stink bugged" out of the lights instead of lauching foward, which I think hurt the 60's.
As you can see by the picture, this car should be packin' the front tires, which it doesn't.
Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• summit.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 231
If you are using a tbrake i would suggest the Phoenix slicks.. They have a bit stiffer sidewall and they take that hit pretty well..

Love the car....

I agree with Rick. Call the 2 manufactures and get tire specifis. tackiness, sidewall stiffness, weight, ect. And go from there. Most manufacturers are more than happy to give it up if your considering their tire.

Thanks for the info Chris. Like "boosted" said, i've always heard the Phoenix tires were a little stiffer overall, although GY used to offer a harder tire in certain sizes years back, so I assume they still do.

Reason for asking about the stop, power, etc. is that i was trying to consider what the 2nd hit would be like, and would tire choice be effected by that. Since you've run a S/G car, you already know about that. I've never run any kind of stop, so i'll just watch and try to learn something.

I'll bet the new rear suspension is going to be nice when you get it all dialed in.

Good Luck, and it is a beautiful car.

We have ran every tire on the Dart in the last 3 years and the Phoenix was the best. Second is the M/T stiff side wall, then goodyears and Hoosiers last. The Hoosiers spun no matter what we did with the shocks, launch RPM ect... nothing seemed to work. So I would go with the Phoenix tires. We run a 29.5 10.5 slick and usually pull low 1.30 60's.

DSCN0273.jpg

ClintGravesPhoto025-1.jpg

we just but the F/X tires on the back of the landy hemi dart and it Loved them! same tire and all. went 10.10 at 134mph 1.43 60ft,on a phoenix tune, which is really fat!

Wow thanks everybody. Great input.I was leaning toward the Phoniex tires.I hear only positive every where else too. I heard 500 passes compaired to Hoosier 300. They have the closests in size I need same all over as my Hoosiers, but 12.4 wide (running 13.5 wide now).
@ oldman rick A little input on stops. I ran a air stop on both the Daytona, and my prior car with this engine, which was a back 1/2 duster with 14/32's. I ran the stop down track, durning 2nd gear. It would just come on, kind of coast (not slow down, not speed up) and then come off before it shifted to 3 rd (727 trans).It worked with 1/8th and 1/4.No hard tire hit either.
The trick was, especially when I went to other tracks, people thought I was lifting,or ask me after a TT if something was wrong with my car.It worked great against 7 second dragesters.
I went 3 rounds at the Summit finals in Ascroft with that car in 2004, the bottom of the index because of altitude was 12:20 (11:99 for S/P altitude adjusted) and I set it up to 12:19.It just plain messes people up!The care ran 10:70's full on.And the MPH stayed the same too.
As for the Daytona, I ran it right at the hit, because it ran close to the 9:90 index.It was all glass 2200 LBS with my 'glide I run now.(9:70's)
I didn't get an answer about running tubes or not?

Attachments

• 25383_1247275868315_2388581_n.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 25383_1247275948317_5157023_n.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 216
The Phoenix name is now owned by Coker Tire.Product may be the same as before. I ran Phoenix about 10 years ago and worked great.

Thanks Chris for the first hand info on your use of stops. Honestly, I never had a big interest in the index classes. I have watched some "Gas" & "Comp" over the years. Mostly big powered cars using them just out. Love how you used it down track with the Duster. I think i'd prefer that method myself if it was feasible. You've had some really nice rides over the years, Congrats :thumleft:.

As far as tubes, I've never run any slicks without. Granted most were in the 9/10" range, although I had a set of 11" M&H at one time. Some of the 2pc wheels (Supertricks) wouldn't hold air very well without them....lol. I know they stiffen the tire a little and I've heard also help with heat distribution. Modern thinking may be very different these days. I'll be watching for some responses.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I may call the manufacture.I hear do's and don't on tubes. I was running them, but left them out because I would need to drill the hole in the wheels for the tube stem. It is larger. They held air for 3 months so far. I got the new diff. together today, so I need to drive it to see how the tires clear.They are close. I would love to stay with the 13.5 wide ones, because they are still good.
Same motor in these 3 differnt cars, but the Daytona, and the Valiant have aluminum heads.
Here a pic of the Daytona.

Attachments

• violet, breathers, vest 006.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 72609_d_1-24.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 213
Wow! I thought I really liked the Duster, but the Daytona was downright nasty looking :D. Did you build that or buy it built. My first thought was that's a Top Sportsman quality car...... Seems to me, most like to over tire in the index classes for security. If the 13.5's work, it can save a few bucks in the process too. Keep us informed on the progress. I think your gonna do real well.

Rick

Hi Rick
A doctor in Seattle built it. It was supose to have a Bucky Austin blown Hemi in it, and be a 'A' gas car.He got into finacial troubles with it, so he sold it.
It changed hands a few times, each person did a liitle more, tin work etc.The last guy finished it.Got his lis. went 9 rounds won the race, and pulled the motor.My friend bought it, I bought it from him, cleaned a few things up, put my bullet in it,and won the 1st Pro Gas race with it.It was a total winner.It left like a pro stocker.
It was a little tight inside, and I was little claustrophobic in it. I had it 3 years, took it south to Speedworld and Firebird in Az. for a winter.Made a lot of money with it.
It was a Chris Alston chassis,aluminum 9' etc.lots of dough in it. I bought it for $9,000.00 as a roller w/ complete JW gide/converter, so it was a steal, sold it $13,000.00 as a roller without the JW glide it came with.So I was happy.
My plan was to run Top sportsman at the time, because cars were running low 8's high 7's, so it would not taken much motor ( 2200 lbs).I had a bad *** 600 something inch indy motor linned up, then I just got burnt out on all of all the cert's and costs running super classes, so I decided to step back to the 10's. The Valiant turned up on ebay, I got a deal. I am really havin fun with it.
Yup, my theroy is, you can't put a big enough tire on a car running the Pro tree.

Hi Rick
A doctor in Seattle built it. It was supose to have a Bucky Austin blown Hemi in it, and be a 'A' gas car.He got into finacial troubles with it, so he sold it.
It changed hands a few times, each person did a liitle more, tin work etc.The last guy finished it.Got his lis. went 9 rounds won the race, and pulled the motor.My friend bought it, I bought it from him, cleaned a few things up, put my bullet in it,and won the 1st Pro Gas race with it.It was a total winner.It left like a pro stocker.
It was a little tight inside, and I was little claustrophobic in it. I had it 3 years, took it south to Speedworld and Firebird in Az. for a winter.Made a lot of money with it.
It was a Chris Alston chassis,aluminum 9' etc.lots of dough in it. I bought it for $9,000.00 as a roller w/ complete JW gide/converter, so it was a steal, sold it $13,000.00 as a roller without the JW glide it came with.So I was happy.
My plan was to run Top sportsman at the time, because cars were running low 8's high 7's, so it would not taken much motor ( 2200 lbs).I had a bad *** 600 something inch indy motor linned up, then I just got burnt out on all of all the cert's and costs running super classes, so I decided to step back to the 10's. The Valiant turned up on ebay, I got a deal. I am really havin fun with it.
Yup, my theroy is, you can't put a big enough tire on a car running the Pro tree.

Thanks for the history on the Daytona. That's so cool, and yea I agree, you got a deal. I was able to talk to Walt many years ago in the 80's at Maple Grove when Pat & Bucky were still young, lol. Very nice family..........Winning and making some green with the car is icing on the cake. I understand about what they ran back then, my first thought was high 7's. So glad you enjoyed it in S/G.

Thanks for talking with me Chris, your miles ahead of where I've been or will ever go. I think the Val. is gonna be sweet in the Street class, just wish I was close enough to see you run it. :thumbrig:

Well,I drove it today, and everything works. The tires clear. So I guess I will hold off on the Phoniex tires for a while.
Can't wait to take it to the track.

-
Back