Has anyone had a car shipped from CA to the East coast

-

340doc

Reaction score
Just wondering what this might cost me. Another member has a vehicle for sale in CA. and I'm in Fl. We probably couldn't get much farther apart.

Had a car shipped from Brazil to SD. 10k. Just remember it will cost lots more if its not a running driving car. I know the Car I had shipped is not a fair comparison. MT

Wow! 10k, must have been something special. It is a running vehicle. Thanks

Wow! 10k, must have been something special. It is a running vehicle. Thanks

Got a 66 Hemi Charger with 45k miles original, unrestored from a War lord in Brazil. Really! Had about 55k into it. I stole it. I have pics of it on other posts.

I have a guy that brought me one from Northern Cal. to Tex enclosed and he said he typically goes from Cal thru Texas and on to Florida and back. He will do it for around $850 but car must be running, I made the mistake of going thru a broker and it cost me a grand. He doesn't do Open trailers but they are typically less and as a rule contract it directly with the carrier and save money. PM me if you want his contact info.

When I sold a 349 car years ago I think the guy from Connecticut that bought it paid around a grand to get it shipped. This was in 2002, I helped the transport guy help load it, it was sad to see it go.

Last Quote I had was $2000 to $2300 and it depends on where it being picked up from and where it is going and what I mean is if it a regular truck route or a off the wall area. Go on Moparts and check out the the transport section. Your better off finding a small guy that dose it , than a commercial carrier.

Last car I shipped in a enclosed trailer was about $1000 for a 2000 to 2500 mile ride. Open trailer look to pay about $600 to $800. DO NOT GO THRU A BROKER if you can. It may just be me but anytime I used a broker it was nothing but frustration and heartache.

Have you considered renting a truck and trailer and doing it yourself?
Then you know how it got there and you get to meet the seller in person.
Just a thought.....

Last car I shipped in a enclosed trailer was about $1000 for a 2000 to 2500 mile ride. Open trailer look to pay about $600 to $800. DO NOT GO THRU A BROKER if you can. It may just be me but anytime I used a broker it was nothing but frustration and heartache.

A broker gets his end all right. And you pay. :burnout:just use someone you feel good about. MT

Had a Duster shipped from California to Florida about 1 1/2 years ago. I paid 800 and change, but that was very cheap

Unless you REALLY like road trips, pay someone to haul it. In 2013, I hauled an empty trailer from West Texas to North Carolina, picked up a car and hauled it back. 2900 miles. 250 gals of gas. about 11.5 MPG. Avg $3.68/gal. Over $900 in fuel. Would have been cheaper than that to have it shipped at that time.. Was a fun trip tho...

Volare from West Virginia to just North of North East FLorida 2005 -$600

Dodge Aspen from Colorado 2006 -$700

Dodge Aspen rolling chassis from Colorado 2013 -$1692

Uship was horrible. 1973 Road Runner 90 miles west of New York, New York to 31547, $1100, November 2011

Here is some data I put up about bad shipping businesses-older data

http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/cla...php?2417-FYI-Auto-transportation-is-difficult

Shipping a car and pricing has a lot of variables. IE: Enlosed or open, door to door or when it fits in to the route and then time line How soon does it have to be picked up. I have used a Brokerage firm, Uship, and word of mouth. Uship was great as I found a hauler that had a twenty foot enclosed trailer with an empty trailer coming back East. Northern CA to MN for $700 door to door. The brokerage firm also worked well as I found an enclosed transporter from Northern CA to MN for $1100 but I was patient to find them. Great service. I also purchased a car in Canby OR and had it transported from there to MN for $1200 from a transport Co. that my buddy uses all the time. The car needed to be picked up quickly as the seller was moving. It just pays to shop around and be patient. If you have a tight deadline you will pay more.

Unless you REALLY like road trips, pay someone to haul it. In 2013, I hauled an empty trailer from West Texas to North Carolina, picked up a car and hauled it back. 2900 miles. 250 gals of gas. about 11.5 MPG. Avg $3.68/gal. Over $900 in fuel. Would have been cheaper than that to have it shipped at that time.. Was a fun trip tho...

Could rent a u-haul trailer when you get out there too. Or fly out and rent a box truck.

I appreciate all the info! If I don't use a broker how do I find the small guys? Just search up car shipping? Thanks for all the help.

ebay has a list of companies that you can call. Look at any classic car and hit shipping and you will get a quote.

I've often thought about calling those companies and seeing if they would match their ebay price....

Usually though it takes a week or 2 for them to pick up. They will coordinate it with a truck in the area etc but if you can be patient I've looked and with cheaper gas a couple of months ago it was around $1100 CA to CT

I purchased 2 inops from CA to CT about 2 years ago. did 1 car and then 4 months later did the other. averaged out to $1250. I used 4 corners and they were great. yes they are brokers. Dave in CT had used them and I also had good luck

Why not fly there, enjoy a SoCal vacation for a week, driving the car and fixing any niggling issues, then drive it back? If you have never seen the country it will be memorable. I have done the CA-GA drive several times in 3 days by myself, or 2 days w/ co-driver. Otherwise, I have had 2 cars delivered by a Drive-away service. Both were European vacationers, but that was going to CA which is always popular. Much cheaper than a transport company.

If it were me, and I had time, I would buy a 2nd classic car in SoCal and tow it behind. Sell in FL and make a wad. Buyers would drool when they see a car w/ zero rust behind the bumpers. Flat-towing usually only costs me an extra 3 mpg. Remove the drive-shaft. If both cars work, you are towing a backup.

Had this guy haul my Valiant from Spokane to San Jose. Cost was $1750. The experience was OK. But don't believe the part where he says that he doesn't start the car. That's completely false. When I met him a few blocks from my house to get the car (he couldn't get the truck and trailer into my neighborhood), the car was unloaded from the trailer and warmed up. He had it pointing the other direction from the way it was loaded, so he had to have driven it around at least a little bit. The hood was warm to the touch. I was pissed, but didn't argue because I wanted my car.

I had a Challenger shipped enclosed from Yorba Linda,Ca. several years back it was $1600. That was enclosed. More recently from Portland,Or. a Duster. it was $1200. That was open. I wouldn't want to drive it cross country, unless I new the car.

They all start and move them, even Horseless carriage does and they move some very high dollar rides

-
Back