Headlight short

-

remytherat

Reaction score
My headlights do function properly, but after 30 seconds of being on the switch itself gets hot and wisps of smoke come out of the dash. Could my switch itself be shorted even if it functions properly?
Thanks as always

More than likely, the short is somewhere else in the wiring. If it takes 30 seconds to heat up, it's probably a chafed wire. Unplug the rear lights in the driver's kick panel to see if it's the rear or the front/dash. You will just have to chase it down by following the wiring, and/or unplugging parts of the wiring system until you isolate the problem.

Go down to "the parts store" and buy yourself about a 20A universal automotive breaker. Or buy a "short finder kit" used to be by KD tool and others. Wire that in series with the battery ground, then turn on the lights and go to work. The simple old school short finders work by having a needle in what appears to be a meter that is influenced by magnetic force. When you lay it near a harness that has a short problem, the needle will deflect more that less, as it will when moved away.

Check the dimmer switch and plug on the floor for signs of heat.
And what mark said . lol
It's poss to chase a short with a temp gun .
Smoke outta left or right side of dash?

Thats for the info. Smoke out of left corner of dash, right by the headlight switch

My headlights do function properly, but after 30 seconds of being on the switch itself gets hot and wisps of smoke come out of the dash. Could my switch itself be shorted even if it functions properly?
Thanks as always
I had a 69 Charger that had that problem too. Found the headlight switch was bad. When I pulled the dash, I found a lot of paint dust around the switch from when the car was painted.

The headlite switch has a rheostat that can generate heat, and the plug itself can be the issue.
If you remove the switch, you can inspect it, and the plug, clean as nec.
To remove the switch, batt disconnected, pull the headlite knob out till it stops, THEN reach up behind the switch, and press and hold the "spring release button" on the switch, as in pic, pull knob out the rest of the way.
The release button is one of the 4 protrusions shown in the pic
Good luck

The rheostat is for the dash lights only.
However the same rotation handles the grounding switch for the interior lights (dome light).
The headlights are on a 15 amp internal breaker.
The other lights are fused (20 amp shared fuse IIRC)
If it smoked with headlights on, I'd suspect the B1 feed connection.

At this point I'd remove the headlight switch (a PIA but it must be done) and identify what got cooked.
You will probably have to repair or replace the connector and some terminals.

I've posted pics of this connector melted at the B1 on my Barracuda. IIRC Dana has also posted some pics (also '67)
Search for melted headlight connector and filter using my screen name.

edit here's a couple

Last edited:
Just disconnected the headlight switch and sure enough, the wire going to the B-1 terminal was melted + corroded and barely even attached to the connector.
On the other hand, I can't seen to get the switch out to inspect it. I took the knob out, but I can't figure out how it attaches to the dash since the fusebox is in the way.

Just disconnected the headlight switch and sure enough, the wire going to the B-1 terminal was melted + corroded and barely even attached to the connector.
On the other hand, I can't seen to get the switch out to inspect it. I took the knob out, but I can't figure out how it attaches to the dash since the fusebox is in the way.
That fancy chrome piece the knob came outta, - it unscrews.
There's a tool but...... Snap-ring pliers, needle-nose or similar have worked for me.
If it's just the one wire, you can kinda sculpt out the holder, if nec. and use a heavy duty spade. I prefer properly soldered,- but that's a can of worms in itself, lol
Good job . Good luck .

Last edited:
Just got the switch out.
definitely going to fix the ground wire connector
does the switch look bad enough to replace?

IMG_2830.jpeg

IMG_2831.jpeg

Jmo, if it were mine, I'd replace it cuz of all the things you can't see.
If absolutely nec. You could clean all those contacts for temporary use.
If nec, after cleaning, hook it up under dash, hold it in your hand, turn everything on, hi-beam too, for a few mins, - feel for heat.
The rheostat is supposed to get warm/hot when It's in use, controls dash/dome lite.
Scrutinize and clean/replace all the female spades in the holder, with "wire" tooth-brushes, and there are electrical contact cleaners avail.
Let fear and common sense prevail .
I normally say good luck, that doesnt seem appropriate. lol
Cheers

EDIT

Last edited:
Power for headlights go into the switch at the B1 terminal.
The black wire from the alternator labled R6 is power output. Power comes from there, and if its not running, then the battery. Even with the key off, these wires are hot unless you disconnect the battery.

Scheme looks like this, although details vary from year to year.
1692446846332.png

Headlights ground with a ring terminal to the radiator support sheet metal.

You could use the damaged connector and terminals if you put the headlights on relays. Then only a fraction of an amp needs to go through that wire and connection. In fact even once repaired, a headlight relay system is a great idea.
a) The original wiring was sized OK for the 40 Watt headlights used in the 60s. It was barely adequate for the higher Watt lamps that became common in the 1970s. The only saving grace of some of the halogen sealed beams (also sold as replacements in the later 70s and 80s) was the reduced power needed for the low beams (35 Watts). Perfomance did not improve with these halogens.

b) The path for power to the headlamps has to go from the alternator, through the headlight switch and all the way back to the headlights through the dimmer switch and firewall connectors. Long path with many connections results in loss of power and lower and lower voltage at the lamps. A relay system allows power to be drawn straight from the alternator (through fuses or circuit breakers).

c) With the headlights on relays, thats 9-10 amps that will never need to go through the firewall. That helps keep the R6 wire connection in the bulkhead connector (most years) from seeing excessively high current.

You can buy a kit from @slantsixdan or a plug and play from @crackedback.

Its sort of typical for the novice to assume a black wire casing means ground wire. No so. Black is on the ground side of the circuit but where the current actually reaches chassis ground is on other side of whatever the black wire is feeding. Consider the amp gauge. One red wire is initial feed. Black wire it the side where current is off to seek a ground somewhere.
Melting of this harness connector is somewhat common, especially in Jeeps where those owners have added more lights to the circuit.
A new connector is listed online for Jeep CJ. Same connector for your mopar.

Go down to "the parts store" and buy yourself about a 20A universal automotive breaker. Or buy a "short finder kit" used to be by KD tool and others. Wire that in series with the battery ground, then turn on the lights and go to work. The simple old school short finders work by having a needle in what appears to be a meter that is influenced by magnetic force. When you lay it near a harness that has a short problem, the needle will deflect more that less, as it will when moved away.

Very cool. I've never heard of a short finder before.

61SkaZ1rQAL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

It sends a pulse of electricity down the line, you follow the harness with the meter, each pulse, - the needle will move, when you lose the pulse on the meter, - the shorted wire either branched off, or you just passed the short .

-
Back