Hemi opinions

-

lenky1

Reaction score
So ive been reading alot of the hemi swap threads. I have a buddy who owns a towing company. He said i can have my pick of 2 motors for free. One is a 2008 5.7 and the other is a 2014. These are both in the cars still with trans harnesses etc. They both have 60k miles roughly. I just want opinions on which one is the better choice. They are both in chargers btw. Any input is appreciated. Ty. Oh it would be going in a 71 duster

I think UTG just did a video and the later ones have better heads. Although that's have been the 6.4.

Not knowing what they came out of i'd lean towards the 2014. It has more miles per year.

They are both in chargers. The 2008 is a former police car that was stolen and led on a chase which worries me. The 2014 charger was t boned and bags deployed so no front end damage

They are both in chargers. The 2008 is a former police car that was stolen and led on a chase which worries me. The 2014 charger was t boned and bags deployed so no front end damage

2014, no doubt now.

Police vehicles are beat to ****. They idle all the time, they flog them repeatedly daily. Remember, the police don't have a nickel in them, and treat them as such.

Engine Master did a video comparing the two versions, both with a mild cam. The Eagle made like 100hp more than the early one. Get the 2014.

Awhile ago the Eagle was kind of avoided due to the lack of VVT support, but Holley supports it now and (I think) MegaSquirt as well.

Some drawbacks to the 2014 that you don't have with the 2008 if you use the OEM PCM is you will need to deal with getting SKIM removed and the need for a starter sense replicator. DIYHemi can turn a PCM into a crate motor PCM which removes both of those, but either way you will need to deal with both of those somehow.

Isn't the Holley controller plug and play end to end?

Far as I know it is. Only caveat is you need the Terminator X Max to run the DBW throttle body. Other than that, they both run VVT and even the SRV intake.

Being a modern Hemi swap graduate, hands down go with the 2014. Mechanical superiority aside, X police cars are just beat to pieces. The constant idle does not help. Hands down 14 for the win.

YouTuber Reignited did a test with an early Hemi and found that the oil pressure at idle with a stock oil pump was pretty low. His argument is that longer periods of idling could contribute to the higher failure rates of cams and lifter which seemed to happen at an even higher rate in police cars.

I've been leaning in the Hemi swap direction myself. And after the Engine Master episode, the Eagle motor was the only option for me. The VVT made a significant difference and the SRV intake (I think) is the sole reason the truck 5.7's makes 25-30 hp more than the cars.

Unfortunately I don't have the connections you do, so I had to settle for a 2017 or 2019 core that has some water in the cylinders. Brought it home last night. Tonight the heads come off so I can dry it out and assess how bad it really is.

Last edited:
I've been leaning in the Hemi swap direction myself. And after the Engine Master episode, the Eagle motor was the only option for me. The VVT made a significant difference and the SVR intake (I think) is the sole reason the truck 5.7's makes 25-30 hp more than the cars.

Unfortunately I don't have the connections you do, so I had to settle for a 2017 or 2019 core that has some water in the cylinders. Brought it home last night. Tonight the heads come off so I can dry it out and assess how bad it really is.

I got lucky with mine. It's a 2018 SRT 6.4 with 18k on it. Typical spun bearing at #7 but otherwise in good shape. Will clean up nice. My son works at the dealership and he's the one who replaced the engine. he also got me an SRV intake as well. Connections are good...

I got lucky with mine. It's a 2018 SRT 6.4 with 18k on it. Typical spun bearing at #7 but otherwise in good shape. Will clean up nice. My son works at the dealership and he's the one who replaced the engine. he also got me an SRV intake as well. Connections are good...

Can he hook me up with an intake too? :lol:

Can he hook me up with an intake too? :lol:

I wish I could extend that. It was fluke for this one. Seems a lot of failures result in the guts getting ruined. This one got replaced for some reason that had caused zero damage.

Connections.

I'm a retired police officer, and I agree with what others here have said, the police car engine is not the best choice. They are right in that the cars do spend long periods idling and they aren't well cared for either. I would definitely go with the 2014 option!

Get the 2014. Replace cam and lifters with MDS delete kit and you will be good to go. I highly recommend doing this. Last year I replaced the 14 engine in my nephews truck because of lifter and cam. This summer bought a 2014 ram with 70,000 miles on for $800 dollars because the cam and lifter problem. The owner didn’t want to spend the money on it so I bought it and fixed it. I also have a 2014 motor sitting in my garage for the same thing I bought from a guy that replaced his motor. I payed his core charge. I just wanted the heads which are better than my 04 heads in my Barracuda.
Get the Hellcat lifters and the MDS Delete and a nice cam. You won’t be disappointed.

Ok guys thanks for the input i will definitely go with the 2014. Does anybody have a parts list of everything i will need to make this happen. I have a 4 speed 833 in the car now. Will it mate to the hemi? This is a big undertaking and im a bit nervous about it tbh

Ok guys thanks for the input i will definitely go with the 2014. Does anybody have a parts list of everything i will need to make this happen. I have a 4 speed 833 in the car now. Will it mate to the hemi? This is a big undertaking and im a bit nervous about it tbh

Here is some good info that might apply. E-body stuff but should be of value.

392 Hemi build in Modern Hemi Swaps

Might be some stuff later in this thread too.
71 'cuda finally getting some love after 28 years in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

Please do so document it here.
GLW-P (project)

-
Back