How do you get it up?

-
0A11E653-3FA7-4E5D-971D-6FAE921A80B1.gif

Its a little tougher with a Mopar, especially an A-body because of the short front segment of the leaf springs. It results in a short instant center above the squat line, meaning it wants to lift the rear of the body and plant the tire (not a bad thing), but that also cuts down on front end lift. It's a physics thing.
That situation can be changed a bit with Calvert or assassin bars, but if you want a nice big wheelie..... long low ladder bars will do it.
Check out Kevin Wilson's leaf spring tutorial on you tube.

Its a little tougher with a Mopar, especially an A-body because of the short front segment of the leaf springs. It results in a short instant center above the squat line, meaning it wants to lift the rear of the body and plant the tire (not a bad thing), but that also cuts down on front end lift. It's a physics thing.
That situation can be changed a bit with Calvert or assassin bars, but if you want a nice big wheelie..... long low ladder bars will do it.
Check out Kevin Wilson's leaf spring tutorial on you tube.
Good info thank you, I would imagine subframe connectors would be a must?

Two junk Chevy small block engines in the trunk will get the job done.

075_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=da31f3&_nc_ohc=zJ8FdTXd4V8AX_kQHYr&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-2.jpg

That's an interesting question. You will either step up your game in the equipment arena if you want to keep the 3 pedals. With that being said that's certainly an advantage IMO. I was helping with this car and their NOS setups years ago. It made 600hp at the rear wheels. But what created this was a high percentage of NOS when the brake released.

What I am conveying is if you want to put o a show put enough power to the ground and make it stick. IC, suspension Geometry all makes it easier and the car in this picture will be setup different from your car. It's having a clutch that's going to be interesting in your pursuit. If you can ever go to a strip that has a 3 pedal event go look at the cars and you will quickly see how they stand em' up.....

JW

Be careful what you wish for. Your next post could be " How do I keep it down".

Be careful what you wish for. Your next post could be " How do I keep it down".

That picture I posted came at a cost and still does today. Rims, shocks, headers, oil pan, sheetmetal. If you stand one up enough you will find things out about your car that you never know lol.....

That's kind of a tough question because I'm in transition. I want to go through my 340 this winter so I have options. The builds will be between 450 and 500 horsepower with about the same torque. Gear ratios 391 tire size is 26 in 275 50 15 drag radials, 4 speed car , clutch rated for 450 horsepower, drive shaft rated for 500 horsepower, 741 , 8.75, new 6 leaf spring packs, solid motor mounts.
Torque + Traction = wheelie.
How you get there is the tricky part.
Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Cope says torque
which means torque at the rear wheels....
After it comes out of the trans and out of the rear axles....... so it really means TM/ Torque Multiplication.
With an automatic, that must also include what is coming out of the TC..
If you had an automatic to go with those 3.91s, your TM might be
Crank torque x TC ratio x2.45 first gear x3.91= say
400 x 2.0 x 2.45 x 3.91 =7663 ftlbs. But with an A833, it looks like
400 x 1.0( noTC) x2.66 x3.91=4160 ftlbs. or about 54% So don't hold yur breath.
What you need is a Commando box and 4.30s for
400 x 3.09 x 4.30 =5315, or about 69%
But hang on; that TC ratio of 2.0 is gonna diminish the instant that the car starts to move. By the top of First gear, it might be down to say 1.2 ish, so then 7663 becomes 4598.
But wait the torque is not a fixed number but changes continuously with rpm. So 30 ft out say, anything could be anything, and you don't have a convertor anyway, so all this is relatively useless information.

For low ET; You gotta gear your car to trap at a favorable rpm, so that Fourth gear can put the power down, on that long long haul to the traps. That means, with a 4-speed, whatever you get out of the hole is whatever it is. If you don't get enough air to satisfy your craving, yur gonna need a bigger engine. Or at least, more torque. Or maybe a Torque Convertor.or a power-adder.
But without the other factor Cope mentioned, namely "traction"; if the tires spin yur screwed.

I might have a better question and it goes like this;
What do you have to do to your car, to get yur 60ft down low enough, in order to get X-amount of air under the front tires.
I'll go first
2.2 to 2.4= zero air, lol; but still went 93 in the Eighth.

Last edited:
Cope says torque
After it comes out of the trans and out of the rear axles....... so it really means TM/ Torque Multiplication.
But hang on; that TC ratio of 2.0 is gonna diminish the instant that the car starts to move. By the top of First gear, it might be down to say 1.2 ish, so then 7663 becomes 4598.
But wait the torque is not a fixed number but changes continuously with rpm. So 30 ft out say, anything could be anything, and you don't have a convertor anyway, so all this is relatively useless information.

For low ET; You gotta gear your car to trap at a favorable rpm, so that Fourth gear can put the power down, on that long long haul to the traps. That means, with a 4-speed, whatever you get out of the hole is whatever it is. If you don't get enough air to satisfy your craving, yur gonna need a bigger engine. Or at least, more torque. Or maybe a Torque Convertor.or a power-adder.
But without the other factor Cope mentioned, namely "traction"; if the tires spin yur screwed.

What do you have to do to your car, to get yur 60ft down low enough, in order to get X-amount of air under the front tires.
I'll go first
Okay your hypothesis is boring the problem with calculations is one or two wrong numbers and it all goes to s*** so thanks for telling me how I could better ask a question LOL but if you don't tell me how to ask my questions I won't tell you how to answer them.

Is this a one and done bucket list item, or a repeatable life adventure?
I would just like a couple nice pics of my 340 swinger with the front wheel snatched about a foot off the ground I don't need to be dragging the back bumper .

Step one, procure bucket.

Step two, fill said bucket with money.

Step three, dump bucket of money in hole where you existing engine was.

Step four, repeat steps two through three.

If you dropped a running and driving car off at my shop and the only requirement was to leave the line with the front tires one foot in the air, my ball park estimate would be 40K to get you there.

My shop is in san jose Ca so we charge more than most shops but I dont think that number is crazy out of line.

20k engine parts.
5k trans parts.
5K rear end parts.

That just 10k labor and no way in hell im doing all that fab work for 10K

So thats my take but I did stay at a Holliday inn one time.....

Last edited:
Cope says torque

I'll go first

AJ you never fail to amaze me. You post stuff like this, that I find fascinating. The depth of your posts is mind blowing. I think you post some of the best, most well thought out posts and then you post in N&P.

:rofl::poke:

Just messing with ya. I do enjoy your posts and I go out of my way to read and (try to) understand them.

Stay well and have a great weekend Sir.

I would just like a couple nice pics of my 340 swinger with the front wheel snatched about a foot off the ground I don't need to be dragging the back bumper .

Step one, procure bucket.

Step two, fill said bucket with money.

Step three, dump bucket of money in hole where you existing engine was.

Step four, repeat steps two through three.

Which is exactly why I asked. I had my dad (82yr) running my 10.6sec car last year and we had a blast. Don't think he won a single race. Unless the other guy red lite or something. But not the point. It pulls the front tires. The smiles were and are worth everything. As the line in Meet Joe Black, "Do you got enough nice pictures?" Your in Oregon, probably know where PIR is, and if you where an old fart, seeing your destination standing on the bucket. We'd work something out and I'd probably try to find away to help you with a checkmark. But since you have a ton of money to throw at it (ha) and have a specific dream.......

at about the 4min mark.

Well, I kinda hate to mention it, considering the recent threads on 8 3/4 strength..... but the first thing I would do in your shoes is put in a Dana or a nine, before you bust up your 8 3/4 and it's not saleable.
And wheelies kinda depend on track prep too. The first two tracks I took my car to were airport runways. Nothing. (Edit: and that was with 14" slicks!) Took it to a real strip, yanked the wheels about a foot.

Last edited:
Well, I kinda hate to mention it, considering the recent threads on 8 3/4 strength..... but the first thing I would do in your shoes is put in a Dana or a nine, before you bust up your 8 3/4 and it's not saleable.

But the MOPAR 8 3/4 is the ****!

@j par

Do you wanna tell him or should I?

:)

Stay well bud!

Has anyone mentioned that you probably won't be able to pop a wheelie on the street?

Simple 9" with axle, spool, gear upgrade. Nodular if you feel like spending a little more.

In the back and front go pull out an old DC book and it will get you there. Or Caltracs. The tyranny has a chance if you want to do this a bunch with a nice adjustable Clutch. Motor wise you can make 300Hp and throw a bunch of gas on it. Instant gratification. Fogger if you want a little more longevity out of the motor. In the spirit of your question this will stand it up....

JW

Get your factory steel bumper and take it off and fill it completely with lead...
Put it back on and see what happens lol..
You can probably do it with a slant six LOL.. it's called ballast.... Or balance LOL...
I remember being at PIR in the right lane and racing this Camaro in the left lane. The last yellow light flashes and I cut loose the clutch... I look over to the left and he's doing a ginormous wheelie and I'm thinking COOL!!!.. and that's the last I seen of him as I was gone while he was doing his wheelie...
Doing a wheelie was never my concern, coming down was always a bigger one...
This guy's mustang was like a 13 or 14 second mustang...
Sometimes it's not always the horsepower...
FB_IMG_14410346781991.jpg

Get your factory steel bumper and take it off and fill it completely with lead...
Put it back on and see what happens lol..
You can probably do it with a slant six LOL.. it's called ballast.... Or balance LOL...
I remember being at PIR in the right lane and racing this Camaro in the left lane. The last yellow light flashes and I cut loose the clutch... I look over to the left and he's doing a ginormous wheelie and I'm thinking COOL!!!.. and that's the last I seen of him as I was gone while he was doing his wheelie...
Doing a wheelie was never my concern, coming down was always a bigger one...
This guy's mustang was like a 13 or 14 second mustang...
Sometimes it's not always the horsepower...
View attachment 1715849429
Yep, that guy had hook and gear working for him.

-
Back