How does a 360 408 stroker work?

-
What’s the diff between Flat top (with two valve reliefs) and Dish (with a D-shaped cup)

I'm looking at the kits and want to know when does the forged crank really come in handy? How many people have had the scat cast cranks break on them?

difference between the two pistons is going to be in compression...the flat tops are going to be higher...

you need to know how many cc the head chambers are to determine the compression ratio...close chamber or open chamber heads?

you need to know how many cc the head chambers are to determine the compression ratio...close chamber or open chamber heads?
Forged crank

Piston Head Volume

(cc) +20.50cc Dish, with a D-shaped cup
(cc) +20.00cc Dish, with a D-shaped cup
(cc) +5.50cc Flat top, with two valve reliefs
(cc) +6.50cc Flat top, with two valve reliefs

flat tops...

62 cc heads-12.1 compression
68 cc heads-11.3
72 cc heads-10.8

dish pistons...

62 cc heads-10.2 compression..
68 cc heads-9.6
72 cc heads-9.3

these are Icon pistons which are the pistons that come with the Scat kits...as far as the crank the steel 4340 crank will handle more HP and RPM...where does the switch from cast crank to forged steel crank comes...that is your call...

how much HP are looking for? ..is it a race car?...what heads ....what camshaft are you using?...You want to play it safe...buy the Forged Steel Crank...Will the cast crank work..yes...there are alot of 408s built with cast cranks....and again...if you are going cast...buy the Scat cast crank.

Been here,what do you intend for heads? Used a Scat piece,from M/P when it came out,niceproduct.

There are also manufacturer that have slightly smaller dished. SRP has some that are 16.5cc IIRC.

I am looking at that same kit. My machinist wants to use bearings that he is comfortable with and has used before. They are probably going to cost me a little more, but I trust his judgement.

The bearings in the second kit would probably be fine for a regular rebuild, but I wouldn't risk it on a stroker build. Bearings are too important to cheap out on.

I thought the stroker bearings are more narrow to account for the increased radius' on they put on the stroker crank journals?

That radius makes the cranks stronger.

-
Back