hughes cam quality?

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
im looking into buying this cam for my car but was wondering what everyone else thought of them, anyone have any comments?

HUG HTL5660AS

CAMSHAFT, SOLID 106º LSA+3

FLAT TAPPET SOLID

$190.00

Flat Tappet Solid

. Hot street/bracket racing. Single plane intake manifold. 1 7/8" Big Block and 1 ¾" Small Block primary tube headers. 4.10:1 rear gear ratio. 4000rpm stall speed. HP ported Stage II cylinder heads. 190psi suggested cylinder pressure.

VIEW OUR CAMSHAFT F.A.Q. PAGE.

Camshaft Technical Details
Intake Valve Lift 1.5
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.5 .579"
.587"

Intake Valve Lift 1.6
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.6 .614"
.626"

Intake Duration at .050"
Exhaust Duration at .050" 256°
260°

Lobe Separation Angle 106

Intake Opening at .050"
Exhaust Opening at .050" 25° BTC
59° BBC

Intake Closing at .050"
Exhaust Closing at .050" 51° ABC
21° ATC

Min. Suggested Cylinder PSI 190

Sweet Spot RPM 2800 - 6600

Note: All camshafts are supplied without keys. Specify part number 7542 when ordering if you need a new cam key. See the Camshaft Accessory page for more information
Note: The HTL series of camshafts give the maximum performance available with a flat tappet camshaft and .904" diameter lifter. When used with 1.6:1 ratio rockers they will achieve lift rates and performance of a roller tappet camshaft. Also similar to a roller camshaft, the HTL cams give very wide, flat power curves, but piston to valve clearances must be checked closely.

Caution: Minimum piston-to-valve clearance is .060" intake and .100" exhaust. If your clearance is not adequate, we have tooling to cut deeper valve reliefs.
Check our tooling section or call us.

Maximum lift with stock guide height is 0.450", more lift requires shortening the valve guides.

Spring Warning: Our camshafts are not comparable to other manufacturers and require special valve spring pressures to operate and live satisfactorily. We suggest that you only use our springs, most other springs will not work properly and may cause severe damage.

I have had excellent results with their cams...

currently have a HTL6064AS in 71 dart...

my 69 barracuda ran a HEV5665 for 5 yrs with no problems...also had another HEV5665 in another engine...

and have one of their hydraulic in my 73 duster...again one of the older designs...H3038....

their valve springs 1111 is pretty good spring for the money also.

I've heard of others having problems with wiping out lobes. Maybe due to improper break in procedures or wrong valve springs. I don't know. I've had one of the largest solid cams they make in my engine. It started in a 340 and is now in a 360. I use 1.6 rockers and a spring with a little more pressure over the nose than Dave recommended but it had to have it for the 340 to rev past 7500. Other than that I've had no problems with this cam even after 9 years and 2 different engines.

Oh and it was 3 tenths quicker than the MP .590 cam.

They are garbage Dave Hughes himself installed my last one it lost a lobe.I went through 2 Hughes cams.I live only 10 miles from Hughes and will not buy a thing from them.I also know of atleast 5 engines Hughes built that failed in the past 3 years.
Jim

Just Finished My 3rd Race Season. No Concerns At All. I'm Very Happy With Their Cams & Performance! The Main Thing Is To Use Their Oil Additive & Oil That Contains A Zinc Package. Their Cams Degree Differently From Other Brands. Just Follow The Supplied Instructions & Ask Questions. I Used All Their Related Componets.
They Have All My Future Bizness.

I don't have any real run time on my 426 stroker yet, but it really sounds great.
All's I know is all the guys there Dave, Kevin, and Tim are extremely great folks to deal with. My build carried out for 10 months and changed several times. Through all of this, never once did they not have the time to talk with me on several different issues. They always got back to me and steered me in the correct direction. They never talked down to me or hesitated to explain things to me.
This really means a lot to me, with today's fast pace, sometimes customers are treated like a number or generic create build. I was always called by my first name and was kept up to date on the build.

All cam manufacturers have had issues with poor break in and failure. Personally, I think the vast majority of these are related to ignorance on the part of the person firing the engine the first time. However, Hughes pushed the limit of fast rate flat tappets to the edge, and IMO got burnt by the effort. If the lifter bores are not perfect... as in not too large or too small; if the engine is not turned over excessively; if the lifters rotate; if the inner springs are not isntalled for break in(if spec'd for the cam); if the proper oil is used; if the person starting it gets all the preparation and setup right so it fires immediately; and if the cooling system and ancillary systems are done right so it can be run for 15-20minutes over 1800 rpm.. then you will have no issues. But that's true for all brands with fast rates of lift.

I have NEVER had any issues with any other cams but Hughes.I mainly use Comp no days but have used many others as well..
Jim

I have NEVER had any issues with any other cams but Hughes.I mainly use Comp no days but have used many others as well..
Jim

I have heard of allot of other cam brands going flat including Comp Cams but yours is the only Hughes I've heard of going flat. You mention Dave Hughes built your last engine and it went flat. Who started it and broke it in? That's the important part like Moper said.

I personally have never had anybody's cam go flat on any of my engines.

I have the exact cam in my new 360. Wish I could tell you that I liked it but I haven't even fired the engine yet. My combo is 360 .040 with KB190 pistons with the 5660 cam and W2 heads. It should yeild a 11.6 to 1 compression ratio. I'll be running it with a 4-speed in a 3200 lb dart, with a 4.88 gear. If you get it and fire it before I do let me know what you think of it. Thanks Rick

I broke Hughes Cams in the way Dave told me too and the way I always broke them in before and since.Don't get me wrong Dave is a nice guy and he made good on BOTH cams thats more than some shops would do.Dave built a 375HP 340 for my buddies 69 Barracuda in 1991 thats when Dave still built Chevys and Fords anyway that 340 ran strong very strong.
jim

thanks everyone you helped me make up my mind! 75dartsport if i get it in and all together i will post a vid of the break in. let me know how yours turns out!

I believe the cams are ground by engle for the company. Engle has been around forever, and is a reputable company. Todays oils are a real pain in the rear for the performance market. Most if not all the zinc has been removed. Use a break in additive+ use a good quality oil such as Brad Penn or Gibbs if your running a flat tappet style cam. I have all my cams ground on a pro 55 or better core when running the aggressive stuff. But proper breakin proceedure is the key to a long life for any camshaft.

I do not think Engle does Hughes any more. Not for a couple years now.

Great service, great products...I've got one of their cams going in my 340 this spring when the damn temp gets above single digits...Dave was kind enough to email back/forth with me for a better part of a day before I bought my cam.

-
Back