i must be completely missing something ?!?

-
I've got a list of stuff I'd like ! I've had to take on (for give me) hourly work three days a week, thats how slow my personal business is. So again - time and money, but I'll get there. This last week it was a new water pump ($203) plus gaskets ect.... And yet another fabricating challenge to make yet another aftermarket part work. (I'll shoot a picture of the stock alternator bracket I had to hack up,then had to move the alternator out to the outer pulley so the belt wouldn't hit water pump#-o ) hopefully have time after work to look into why linelock doesn't work AGAIN ! Then go get u haul trailer ($55) for therd of six " hole in the hood" series race on Saturday ($30 fuel for durango to pull, $30 fuel for drag car, $50 to race, $12 for my gal) I'm keeping up, but not getting ahead with time and money .View attachment 1714821823

View attachment 1714821824

View attachment 1714821825

I am going the opposite way...getting rid of the Proform electric water pump and going with the old school moroso electric motor driven pump.....car would go through a bottom radiator hose every year...belt rub....

I am going the opposite way...getting rid of the Proform electric water pump and going with the old school moroso electric motor driven pump.....car would go through a bottom radiator hose every year...belt rub....

I actually moved the belt out to the outer flywheel pulley to solve that problem before it started

Got news for ya' a 410 stroker in a 2730 lb car running 11.88 is slowwwwwwwww..i mean my "stock stroke 360 in my 3450 lb duster has been 11.79..you need to pay attention to some of the advice given to you here you asked for it,some of the people here actually DO know what they're/we are talking about...
slow to you maybe, but the fastest I've ever been in a car. remember I'm new to drag racing. I've got a lot left on the table I know, but that's a good thing does I'll be able to work on the car and improve. this way I won't get bored with it and never go nowhere. I obviously have a lot to do and I have been listening to you, I've been listening to Cudafever, and triple R. again I can't say it enough I need more time more money I'm doing the best I can with what I have

It is actually haulin a lot of *** for the totally butchered up rear suspension it has.

I'm sure going to have to look through this thread and see where I was complaining about my car being too slow? I thought its met my expectations or exceeded them so far for what I have and how far I've gone. maybe when you started drag racing you knew everything right out of the gate and that's great. maybe I'll see your name next to Shirley Muldowney in the drag racing Hall of Fame one day, but until then this beginner's going to keep trying to do the best and gather as much Intel is possible from people who like to help. and you may say we tell you but you don't listen? but on the other hand I can't just run out and start spending money and time the minute somebody says to do something I have a job and I have a budget.

Son, this don't make you special. Most of us have budgets and other things that require the bulk of our incomes. Kindly quit beating this horse, the meat is tender enough to eat now.

You don't have a plan, so it seems you are all over the place. You did mention that you think your car was slow in your first post here by saying you weren't any faster than guys back in the day who added a few parts and went twelves.

So, it appears your engine works and your chassis doesn't. It has been said ad nausea. Somewhere in the middle of this mess you pop in with the weak suck rear springs. SS springs and good shocks are mentioned several times and you buy a dang pricey electric water pump and mention a carb you ain't happy with.

Your current carbs are faster than your car.
Your car isn't fast enough for an electric water pump.
You could have bought a regular water pump and had enough money for proper rear springs and shocks.

Get a plan. Like maybe sort out the chassis and then start your dial in on other things, one at a time.
It will probably show you how bad that stock ignition curve really is......

:violent2:

It is actually haulin a lot of *** for the totally butchered up rear suspension it has.

Thank you triple-R ! even though you got your butchered suspension shot in. Lol (witch is completely true!)
I'm really trying to get the motor in kind of a solid state first. I do struggle between what I've always wanted and what I need . I always wanted a car with dual quads - pistol grip 4-speed and cool stuff of the like. I didn't need to buy a electric water pump. I could have just put a pulley and a belt on it off my shelf, but I wanted it.
I'll address the chassis issues this coming month.
Let us recap ? 14 months ago my gal an I whent on a two hour drive to look at a 73 duster not running off an ad on Craigslist. We bought it, rented a truck and trailer and brought it home. Soon after my gal wanted me to have a 4 speed and she drove 3 1/2 hours each way to get it! And so on. How many People bave been on this forum for years and aren't driving there cars?
I guess my point is if I can get this far.in 14 months i have great optimism for the next 14 :DView attachment 20140311_185429.jpg

View attachment 20140311_185437.jpg

View attachment 20140319_143329.jpg

View attachment 20150531_100204-1.jpg

Son, this don't make you special. Most of us have budgets and other things that require the bulk of our incomes. Kindly quit beating this horse, the meat is tender enough to eat now.

You don't have a plan, so it seems you are all over the place. You did mention that you think your car was slow in your first post here by saying you weren't any faster than guys back in the day who added a few parts and went twelves.

So, it appears your engine works and your chassis doesn't. It has been said ad nausea. Somewhere in the middle of this mess you pop in with the weak suck rear springs. SS springs and good shocks are mentioned several times and you buy a dang pricey electric water pump and mention a carb you ain't happy with.

Your current carbs are faster than your car.
Your car isn't fast enough for an electric water pump.
You could have bought a regular water pump and had enough money for proper rear springs and shocks.

Get a plan. Like maybe sort out the chassis and then start your dial in on other things, one at a time.
It will probably show you how bad that stock ignition curve really is......

:violent2:
I know I'm special because my mommy tells me so. Thank for taking time to help me out.

I don't think anyone is really knocking what you've done. Certainly more than I.

It's just that you seem to have "no compass" so to speak and when people try as they might to give you sound advice, you run the opposite direction.

Sorta a stupid thing to do, really.

I don't think anyone is really knocking what you've done. Certainly more than I.

It's just that you seem to have "no compass" so to speak and when people try as they might to give you sound advice, you run the opposite direction.

Sorta a stupid thing to do, really.
It's now 11pm on the west coast and i can't sleep because of the anxiety i get before I go to the dragstrip the next morning. I'm going to get up at 530am and leave at 7 and be taking my first pass at 9am (lord willing). As slow as the car is its a serious rush!
Triple R I'm actually taking everyones advice, i just can't seem to get everyone done at the same time all at once. Like two weeks ago when half the dipstick got chewed up in the motor#-o was i to forget that and put new leaf springs on? Of course not, or the cut off switch before that, or the battery cable breaking after i fixed that!? I've been on a bit of a bqck slide, but I'll get back on track(excuse the pun). I'm going to pm you my # so i go over all the small things i don't mention. Just to much trouble.

Good luck man! Update the thread when you get back. Lots of good and helpful advice here for BOTH of us.

Had a great day ! First practice pass a new best 11.86. Second practice pass missed second gear #-o. It was a first and hopefully the last! I get back to the pits and noticed the alternator belt upside down and out of the groove? Easy fix. But kind of weird none less :dontknow: third practice pass I'm winding out second gear and fling !! Off flies the alternator belt :cheers: i think to myself "no harm-KEEP YOUR FOOT IN IT !!!" New best time 11.85 :D I get back to the pits and notice a small rubber scar on the upper passenger side window from the belt. lol Now its time to think about a dial in time ? First thing don't red light like i did the first round of the first two races! So going on history like today I do better and better as my practice rounds progress but then after lunch in the heat of the day the car tends to lose a couple tenths at least. So I think a 11.88 dial-in would be nice and I go with it. I take off the line I hear a little snap turns out to be that belt broke finally and this time just flung into the motor compartment and it ended up being a lose/win situation, I broke out and did my new fastest time ever an 11. 83! oh well I had fun. if I would have had another belt with me I would have kept running test and tune and stuff like that, now I know. now I have another month to work on that sorry suspension and get that 60 foot time in order before the next race in mid-july, and let's not forget the Mopar Nationals July 26th :burnout:View attachment 20150613_113927.jpg

View attachment 20150613_142144.jpg

View attachment 20150613_171618.jpg

Attachments

• 20150613_143342.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 158
It needs a water pump in the belt drive to stabilize it and a deep groove alternator pulley.

It needs a water pump in the belt drive to stabilize it and a deep groove alternator pulley.

I never had the problem before? I put the new electric water pump on and had to move the belt to the outer pulley of the drive pulley. I just believe I have the alternator a little askew? Or no alternator ? :D

I was also just thinking (I know I'm not supposed to do that) lol moving the alternator as close to the drive pulley as I can ?

Some good video of the car at the start line is tremendous help in sorting things out.

I never had the problem before? I put the new electric water pump on and had to move the belt to the outer pulley of the drive pulley. I just believe I have the alternator a little askew? Or no alternator ? :D

More pulleys in a belt drive system ads stability. If you cannot see that, then maybe we need to stop talkin.

Your 60' still sucks get down in the 1.50's and you'll be in business..

Yes, more pulleys equal stability but you can go crank to alt with out throwing belts, it's called alignment and not just an eyeball look. Use a straight edge to project a line from your alt down to the crank, move your alt in or out till you get a straight line. Another couple of things to think about...........what is the size of your crank pulley, and your alt pulley...........larger crank pulley than alt means you are driving alt 1.5 to 2 times faster than crank speed......what's your alt turning at 6000 rpm on the crank? Slow your alt down. Does the armature of your ride on bushings or ball bearings? That will cause problems as bushings are not too stable at rpm and they cause drag big time.

Good luck!

The alternator belt on my S has never has never come off, in 15 years, 125,000 miles.
I learned in 1971 or 72 How important belt alignment was, when at the tender age of about 18, my 1970 Swinger 340,blew its engine. Thank goodness for 5 and 50 Warranties. I was told, that,that engine had cracked a cylinder head, and lost 4 pistons. The warranty engine was not nearly as strong, but it never blew a belt again.

Your 60' still sucks get down in the 1.50's and you'll be in business..

EXACTLY ! Have you ever thought about going into rocket science!?? LOL :poke: this "i must be completely missing something" thread has turned into my suspension is garbage thread, no? Month before next race.
the first things I'm going to try- new heavy duty leaf springs and four new race shocks. While this is by no means a guarantee for a 1.50 sixty foot, its probably a step in the right direction? Thank you stroked340

Yes, more pulleys equal stability but you can go crank to alt with out throwing belts, it's called alignment and not just an eyeball look. Use a straight edge to project a line from your alt down to the crank, move your alt in or out till you get a straight line. Another couple of things to think about...........what is the size of your crank pulley, and your alt pulley...........larger crank pulley than alt means you are driving alt 1.5 to 2 times faster than crank speed......what's your alt turning at 6000 rpm on the crank? Slow your alt down. Does the armature of your ride on bushings or ball bearings? That will cause problems as bushings are not too stable at rpm and they cause drag big time.

Good luck!
Agreed - after the new electric water pump whent on I quickly discovered I needed to move the alternator out to the outer drive pulley witch is bigger and would slow the alternator a bit witch is a good thing. Yes I eyeballed it :eek:ops: Agreed again - my first thought after this was - I'm going to use a straight edge. I'll start there- thank you JBurch...:salut:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-64700/overview/make/dodge

moroso pulley....5 inch...slows down the alternator.....if you are running the alternator straight from the crank pulley...

use that pulley on all 3 cars with electric water pumps..no belt flying...
My thinking is backwards ( par for the course ! ) I put it on a bigger pulley and made it go faster ! :violent1:
on the parts list for summit (am I the only one thinking of taking stock in this company?) I got to take measurements for pulley depth. Thank you 70aarcuda

-
Back