I need help deciding what to do...urgently.

What driveline?

• Option 1

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Option 2

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters
-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
I have two great choices on the driveline solution for my dart. I'll give you guys the quick rundown on both builds. I want your opinions and quick! I want pretty much whatever is going to give me a more beastly car. Thanks guys!

Build 1:

73 340
stock bore and stroke
J-Heads
2.02 and 3 angle grind
Ultradyne cam (unknown specs)
Demon Mighty Demon Carb
M-1 Intake
727 with B&M prostick
8 3/4 rear with 4.10 gears

Build 2:
73 (I think) 400ci
Mild cam
906 heads
Performer RPM intake
holly 750 double pumper
MSD ignition
8 3/4 rear with 4.30 gears, strange spool, and yukon axles.

Oh, come come now. Urgent? Quick? You have to drive this to work Monday?

Where's option 3, 4, 5?

My vote is for option 1. I have a similar 400 and it's kind of a turd, it's gonna cost some $$$ to get any more power out of it.

But then again, if you're not comfortable spending some $$$ this is probably not the right hobby to be in.

The 340 is one of the best motors Mopar ever built.

Both options are technically free, but chances are it will be about a $1,500 loss in the long run if I take option 1.

Because I already own the setup but it's in a car, and without that drivetrain I wouldn't get my money out of it. However, I could trade that whole car with option 1 for a car with option two, and get what I originally paid out of it.

go with #2, there is nothing like a big block in an A-body. I had a 340 in my drag car and the big block was alot better. Not saying a 340 will not run as good. But the torque is alot different.

if option 2 is a break even and option 1 is a $1500 loss, go with 2 and use the $1500 you would have lost to upgrade to a more aggressive cam or some other upgrade.

I voted option 2.
More torque and less money loss for you as you state the pros and cons.
In the long run, i think you will be happier with a big block given the circumstances.

i voted #1 only because it will be easier to install the 340 in the car and the handeling would be better with the small block. just my opinion. 400s were factory low compression so lots of work to get the grunt you want.

-
Back