I think I might do it

Should I go for it?

• Total voters
-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
I have been thinking it over and talking it over with the wife and I think I might start a "business" well....kinda....not really with the expectations of turning it into a full out business but more of something to make a few dollars here and there (an on the side kind of business I guess) and help people out and also save money myself being able to do these things on my own.

anyhow...here it is.

I am thinking of getting into making vinyl stickers !

Looking into buying a vinyl cutter/plotter ,they have some on ebay for around $400 I have been looking at,plus the cost of a few colors of vinyl and a few supplies....I should be able to get everything to get started for around $500.00 I am thinking.
Not sure what software they come with but I am sure I can get my hands on some software if need be.

I am just tired of not liking the stickers at stores and having to have the ones you do like custom made.

and I think alot of people I know (possibly including fabo) would like the convenience of wanting a sticker and it being a simple task to get it and at a lower price than everyone else.

I honestly do not think a sticker that says duster is worth $25.00 nore do I think the postage stamp for shipping is worth $8.00 for example.

I think in all fairness the price of a postage stamp would pay shipping on a sticker and maybe a couple dollars profit on the sticker itself but not price gouging like alot of company's do.

what do you guys think? sound like a good idea? do any of you know anything about this trade and can you give me any pointers and let me know what all I need to get started and if its even worth the initial investment?

Thanks everyone! ,Jerrod

Im starting my own business also. I got my LLC in January. Im gonna make aluminum Bumper brackets and other race parts. Learning how all of this comes together is one of the coolest things I have ever done in my life!! Go for it!! I hope that everything works out for you!:cheers:

Sounds like a great idea to me! I'd be interested in buying some Scamp stickers when you start up :)

Not to poop on your parade, but I would double check with the usage and copyright laws Ma Mopar might have on model names and logos. It would be a bummer to start up it up and the first business you get is a lawyer knocking at your door with a lawsuit.

Best of luck! As a small business owner (VERY small, lol) it's exhilirating to be your own boss.

Thanks for the tips.

I see alot alot of the people doing the ebay stickers will put in there adds that they are not the owners of the copyrights to the image (I think the use it as a fail safe....more so promoting the brand rather than steeling from them)

but still a good point.....I just think people would like a good sticker source in general and with the type I am talking about you can do custom stickers for if someone wants there business logo turned into a sticker or something of that sort

I'd be interested in a few, some for my duster and an Angels sticker (the baseball team) for my truck, i can't find for the life of me a sticker that is the right size for the back of my truck. Keep us updated as to how it goes and count me in!!

Thanks for the positive comments so far everyone!

hoping someone who is familiar in the field can chime in with some pointers

more small bissuness owners are what we need I would go for it most bissuness start out like that no reason to rush it start small and go big I would take a couple

Dang I was thinking more as a hobby with the perks of making a few $ here and there...but I just posted this thread up and already have a few takers.

I am giving it more and more thought and I will most likely do it ...I just want to make sure I cover all bases first and look at it from all directions before I just jump into it.

I think fabo has one guy atleast on here that does vinyl stickers and what not but I mostly see him doing car stripes and I dont see him on fabo that often....I would mostly specialize in stickers 24" and smaller I think....but thats not to say that a stripe kit would be out of the question.

Thats what I am thinking also,start off small and see where it goes.

Just remember that if you violate copyrite laws, they can confiscate your entire business and slap you with fines/jail time as well. Just because those guys on ebay say that they are not the copyrite owners doenst make it right. They can still be prosecuted if the copyrite owners choose to do so. You are also not allowed to reproduce any photographs taken by a photographer, or images created by someone else, without their express written consent, just to CYA.

Other than that, it sound like a cool business venture. Also, just remember that software only goes so far. You will need to have some artistic talent, or hire someone that does, when people ask for custom work.

Good luck.

OK...I will run the opposite. This is not a downer but something to think about.

As an owner of several small business, the first thing I would say is DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

If you are just doing this primarily for yourself and the odd graphic for friends..ok . However, if you are doing this for making money...think of the following..

. 400 dollar e-pay vinyl cutter is probably not for volume. Stickers come in various thickness and the good ones that go on MX bikes and cars are truly thick and takes really thick vinyl cutter..check to see this e-pay machine will cut it;

. how many companies do this sort of thing within a 30 mile radius ? Even in the sticks where I live, I can count at least 3;

. Initially, as a small business, you costs of purchasing will be higher because you are not a volume buyer and you don't have a track record yet with the suppliers ..and some companies may not deal with you if another company has exclusive rights for this product;

. The cost of a sticker is just not the vinyl..it is the total cost of the operation reduced down to the one product..so it includes labour, etc?

. Are you planning to work for free? Do you have the correct software ? Where are you going to get all the trademarked logos ?

I could go on for ever..

So, before you jump in..really decide what you want to do..your target market (FABO only ? ) and how much time you are willing to spend.with this..especially if you have kids.

And if you decide to jump in, good luck !

Ian.

And never accept any work from a politician wanting campaign material. If you ever do, they will all find out about it and you will be swamped by the scumbags and have your entire production tied up for months. Then, after the election, they are all broke and can't pay their bills. Once worked for a screen printer that almost went under because of this. Sounds like an interesting sideline. Just remember to keep it that way unless you absolutely can't avoid it.

I am a small business owner and I think for the size of the investment it is worth trying out. However Grassy does make some very good points. I am only going by the amount of the investment for my recomendation.Good luck if you choose to go ahead with it and I think you will get a good start from the folks here.8)

The hardest part of working at home is..
You cant leave work.
I've produced 3 lots of console brackets over 3 years. Sold 94 DeMonIVRs over 3 years.
Serviced 39 rallye fuel gauges over 3 years. Aint found a dime profit in any of it.
I have filled part needs and shared "the fix" that I first needed myself.
Proud to serve and generate smiles in this world feels good but doesn't put food on the table.
If you think shipping is nothing but a stamp you have a lot to learn too. Shipping and recieving is a hat in itself. Then there is the customer service rep' hat, the production worker hat, and the overseers hat. Add those to the husband, dad, and employee hats you wear now. Your head will hurt.
I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a cutting machine though. I have a custom sticker need on the back burner now. LOL
My .02

YES......Go for it....Nothing ventured, nothing gained.......

BUT, BUT, BUT>>>>>>>>>> Do NOT put your money in a cheap Chinese plotter.......PLEASE.......they do not last, are wicked problematic, and will just suck your money and get you disgusted........

My advice from experience is to look for a "Lynx" by Vinyl Express, or a good quality plotter similar to the above. PLEASE don't waste your money. DO YOUR RESEARCH before you buy!!

Good luck, and Blessings to ya' in your new endeavor. Doc

Please don't think I am trying to talk you out of it..I too are starting something that I am doing for my self..it I can make a few $s, great..if I don't , it is good also...

Redfish is correct..I have run 3 companies from my home and you can *never* leave work..it is just too easy to slip over to do a bit more work... luckily, I have a very patient wife and I have spent lots of time with my kids the last 5 years..and I have discovered the home / work boundary..

Again, good luck and I will look for some work you can do.

Ian,

Oh, last thing. Buy cheap, get cheap.

Add me to the list of those who would buy. I'm going to need a couple custom stickers that say "TurboScamp". Definitely want to support my FABO brethren if at all possible. Good luck! :cheers:

Add me to the list of those who would buy. I'm going to need a couple custom stickers that say "TurboScamp". Definitely want to support my FABO brethren if at all possible. Good luck! :cheers:
That goes for me to DusterDude72 X2 :happy10:
There is some good info here.

I honestly do not think a sticker that says duster is worth $25.00 nore do I think the postage stamp for shipping is worth $8.00 for example.

sure it cost that much for a sticker after chrysler gets their cut. there is definatley money to be made selling and making decals. but you better look into what you can and can not make legally. chrysler has shut down many of decal and tee shirt businesses over the years...

good luck if ya decide to do it.

I started my sign shop 15 years ago, not to rain on your parade...but.. a $400 plotter is not going to get you anywhere. If $25.00 for a windshield sticker is too much money, your obviously unaware of the cost of vinyl, mask, production...yea, you could sell it for $8.00..then when your plotter needs a $45.00 replacement blade, what are you gonna do? The $8.00 just barely paid for the materials and electric to run the computer and the plotter, if it did that. Suppose for some reason the plotter jammed and you have to recut and eat the first one then there is no profit just cost. You can buy cheap vinyl and produce cheap products...,when you sell a guy a sticker for his windshield and the next day the car wash takes it off, his fault maybe but if you don't make it good your the bad guy. I can tell you about 6 or 7 guys who were going to put me out of business because my prices are too high. I'm the one still in business, they're not...I can go on and on, but I have some overpriced "stickers" to go cut. Pm me if you want and we can discuss.

Dave Ginley
Ace of Signs
Since 1995

I'm sorry I misread the $8.00 issue, that was not to be the selling price...that was shipping, just a stamp is fine if it fits in a conventional envelope but somebody still has to pay for the envelope. .anything larger needs a box or tube which means more money and more shipping.

Thanks for all the info everyone.....and I have thought about most points everyone has made prior to them being stated.

again, I am not getting into it mainly as a business....I am more so getting into it for myself and friends ....but with making money on the side still in mind, this would NOT be my main source of income.

as for shipping with the price of a postage stamp, what I mean by that is that most stickers I would make would be small enough to fit into an envelope or in a manila envelope.....rather than being shipped out in an overly large package to hike up shipping costs.

I am not talking about turning it into a full time operation ....but if things went good and I could save up the cash to get bigger better equipment It would not be out of the question.

I am looking into a 31" cutter so it would be capable of cutting rather large stickers.

I know my way around photoshop and I have been a tattoo artist for about 7 years and I have worked on computers for years and years aswell so I am pretty sure I have the technical end covered.

The copy right laws I am still unsure of so I would still have to look into that aspect.

I understand that some products are cheap and some are not....the vinyl I am looking into is the premium 7 to 9 year life span out door vinyl not the 1-3 year thin outdoor vinyl.

I understand there is the cost of vinyl and transfer tape and shipping and energy bills to run those things and cost of blades (comes with multiple extras and new ones are les then $10 for the style I am looking at)

sure getting an industrial set up would be nice but the prices run from $2,000.00 up to $15,000.00 and more and I am NOT in the financial position to spend thaty much.

I was wanting to starts small....rather that be with a japanese machine or not, I am not seeing and american made machines selling for decent prices so this is pretty much the only option for now.

but again....its mostly a recreational thing ......which would be like throwing money in a bucket and not being able to fish it out.....I figure if I am planning on getting one anyhow and I will be using the electricity to run it and I will be buying the materials to be used anyhow......why not keep an open mind to maybe making some custom stickers for some people who need them for a little bit of cash!

then I would atleast be making some kind of money back on my investment rather than spending all the money and only using it for my own personal uses.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers and things to look out for...I appreciate all the help!

I have also toyed with the idea of getting a really nice computer printer.....so i can make full color stickers, people could send me a picture of there car and I could print it just how it is....or load it into photoshop and maybe do a couple things to it and then print it.

They make the sticky back printer paper which would be used to print the image on and then they make the clear vinyl laminate sheets that I could use to go over the top of the printed image ....and people could have weather resistant stickers of there own cars or whatever.

only problem with that is, I would have to cut out the image by hand and trim it or send it to the buyer as a full sheet and they would have to cut and trim it them self.

I like the idea of the vinyl cutting machine more I think.....but some have expressed that the cheaper machines are not as reliable and are not made for a high work load.

then again....It would not be cutting vinyl 24/7 either.

still going over the pros and cons of everything here.

where I live we really only have 1 or 2 vinyl sellers and they mostly specialize in large things like business signs and banners and things of that sorts and they like to charge alot even for a simple white 5x5 sticker.

anyways....keep all the input coming everyone, thanks

I have kicked the idea of owning my own place for a while now and I have just about decided to do it.

I am in the process of doing my homework, talking to others in the business who have their own shop, etc.

I found a nice little place for lease this past weekend. It is in a perfect area. I am checking on the price right now.

Good luck to you!!!!

Black market vinyl, I like it.

I'll be ordering some stuff from you. If you don't mind copyright crap, I don't either, and who has to know?
Just do those types of orders on the low and don't advertize to the world.

he, he, I love capilalism.

-
Back