I'd like your thoughts on this 360

-
Congrats! Makes you wonder what it will run with deeper gears

A couple of questions that you may have answered.
Did you verify the 2.45 gear?
Stock 904 converter, stock in what? (So we can go buy one)
Is this 360 LA, or Magnum?
Still impressed!
  • I didn't take the cover off the rear, but it looks as if it was never removed and the tag says 2.45. Also, the long legs of each gear verify it.
  • It is a normal stock 904/converter, non-lock up, that you'd get in any 318 dart or duster. Converter came with the tranny.
  • LA 360. Typical low compression, recessed pistons, untouched heads, you know...

• I didn't take the cover off the rear, but it looks as if it was never removed and the tag says 2.45. Also, the long legs of each gear verify it.
  • It is a normal stock 904/converter, non-lock up, that you'd get in any 318 dart or duster. Converter came with the tranny.
  • LA 360. Typical low compression, recessed pistons, untouched heads, you know...
Did you notice the imbalance with the 318 converter?

If I'd known there wasn't going to be a lot of people, I'd brought my 670 Holley and 770 Holley with and gave them a whirl. I've always got a better time/MPH with the holleys vs the 600 Eddy. I also did some front end work (bushings, ball joints, etc), so I know the alignment is off. Perhaps one of my Holleys and a good front end alignment I get a 13.99..... :realcrazy:

Long legs?
Math says 95 is about 4700rpm .........in second gear. That's long all right. Further math says 5500 might get you a theoretical top speed of 162mph.

The 95 says your W/P is about 14/1 . Assuming 3600 raceweight, this makes your engine 3600/14=257hp. At 3400 it would be 243hp. In either case, that engine is a keeper;she's making pretty good power. I did not see this coming.
This has a theoretical ET of about 13.7. So your chassis is costing you 14.3 less
13.7=.6second

FSO; For Speculation Only
As at May 1980, the NHRA factored these engines as to crank hp;
The 1971-TQ 340s were factored at 325.
The hi-compression AVS 340s were at 300
The low C/R 340s were factored 280.
The 360 HP was factored at 265
The std 360-4bbl was factored at 250
So if you're running an original 4bbl engine, your trap speed says that your engine is right on the the factor. That's pretty incredible ,these 40plus years later. I did not see this coming.........

My pure stock 1970 Swinger 340 4-spd/3.55gears, in 1971, with about 12,000 to maybe 14,000 miles on it; went 98mph, factored at 300, at 3330 raceweight. That's a P/W of 11.1. The 98 mph trap speed, says my P/W was only 13.5, or 3330/13.5 or 247hp. The trapspeed made my car out to be a dog, yet it never lost a streetrace.
Congrats on your achievement.

Last edited:
Long legs?
Math says 95 is about 4700rpm .........in second gear.

So if you're running an original 4bbl engine, your trap speed says that your engine is right on the the factor. That's pretty incredible ,these 40plus years later. I did not see this coming.........
I had the choice to either shift or not shift as I crossed the finish line. Twice I crossed in 2nd gear and the E.T. didn't change. So your math must be close, because my speed was 95. I do not have a tach in yet....

I don't think the engine is an original 4bbl motor. It's just an auto parts remanufactured motor for a 360 replacement for a car. Maybe Cordoba, Monaco? Anyways, when the dust settled I ended up with it for 400 bucks. Added the 600 eddy and installed the cam that the guy had bought for it (listed in 1st post).

nice - kinda like what that guy said back in post 2 ---- that :realcrazy: prediction--- :poke: :D
Yes, you were the closest! Besides me.... :thankyou:
Like I posted, after a trip out of town, I said I'd be surprised if this car doesn't pull 14's. I'll admit, I didn't see 14.29.

On the way down my son asked exactly what I thought, and I said if it hooks, I guessed 14.60's.

Ok, I got back to this Duster after 6 weeks. It was running lean, too lean. I did a carb swap today. I pulled the old 600 eddy for a 770 Holley street avenger I had. My "seat" dyno says the car is stronger now, from the word go up to the shift point. I'm confident I'll run better my next trip down (maybe this Saturday??).
  • Maybe not quite there yet, but I'd like to punch a 13 (even a 13.99) with it. That'd put a smile on my face considering 2.45's, no headers, stock stall & tranny, and an almost 100% stock, low compression 360 (less than a stock 340 cam and a 4bbl, that's it) in a full weight Duster.

I had the choice to either shift or not shift as I crossed the finish line. Twice I crossed in 2nd gear and the E.T. didn't change. So your math must be close, because my speed was 95. I do not have a tach in yet....

I don't think the engine is an original 4bbl motor. It's just an auto parts remanufactured motor for a 360 replacement for a car. Maybe Cordoba, Monaco? Anyways, when the dust settled I ended up with it for 400 bucks. Added the 600 eddy and installed the cam that the guy had bought for it (listed in 1st post).

Oh it's a reman! you see my car come down yet?

Oh it's a reman! you see my car come down yet?
yeah, a reman. Don't know if that's a good thing...... :realcrazy:
I know it has the "dished" or recessed pistons, so I'm sure my compression is probably 8 to 1. I know it has stock 360 heads. I pulled the oil pan, but believe it or not, I didn't pop a cap to plastic gage their work..... LOL.... I just threw it in and fired her up!

• I think I found a piece of your car in my front yard...... :D

770 Holley replaced the 600 eddy. No other changes to the car. Post #45 had the first trip down the track.

DSCN0912.JPG

Takes me a while, but I got back to the Duster. Put a clutch fan on in place of the direct fan, and I had better air today. 13.91
dscn1190-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Willrun
I understand what you are saying, But if you can 60ft that at 2.1 I think I'll dynomite my car to smithereens,lol. If it doesn't spin,Ima thinking you'll be measuring the 60 ft with a sundial.
Look at that 60 ft in the post above..... :realcrazy:

Sorry AJ...… :D I had to one more time :poke:
:D

Well, i don't have slicks on the car, they are normal street tires. But if it launches without spinning, I think it will do just fine. By what standard? Well, knowing it's gears and converter, I would think a 2.1 60 ft would be doing just fine. and if it gets a 2.1, I'll say the cam is doing just fine on the low end.
Just can't set the bar at 1.6 60 ft times like an 11 second car, knowing you got a stock 360 with stock converter and 2.45's in a full weight car, correct? :)
Sorry AJ...… :D I had to one more time :poke:

That's funny! You can poke me as much as you got time for,lol.
I get what yur saying, and I dunno how you get the great results that you do. Ima thinking you could show me a thing or two.
As you may recall, My car went [email protected] in the 1/8, on the one and only successful run it ever made, and the accompanying 60 ft was in the mid 2.4s,lol. So I realize there might be close to a low 7second left to chase.
But that don't bother me cuz that's not what I built it for.
Keep on doing what you're doing, cuz it looks like it really works.

Last edited:
Takes me a while, but I got back to the Duster. Put a clutch fan on in place of the direct fan, and I had better air today. 13.91
View attachment 1715226952

Way to go Tim!!!

Love seeing highway gears get some respect!

Let's see if I have as good of luck cracking 11's with my 410 and 3.23's!
Should have the car back together this week. If it don't leak, I will get it to the track in October.

If I had a dollar for everytime someone told me to change out the 3.23's, I'd have a spare Sure Grip chunk with 4.10''s for the track, lol.
In Texas, average highway speed is 75mph (3150 rpm in my car) or more on toll roads where the posted limit is 80.

That's funny! You can poke me as much as you got time for,lol.
I get what yur saying, and I dunno how you get the great results that you do. Ima thinking you could show me a thing or two.

Like I have been saying to you over and over, your head has got to get out of the calculators.

I can't believe these times with a 2.45 rear end. I have a 2.71 in my BBody so I guess I can dream for awhile until I get to the track and install the motor (de-stroked 340 to 305).

I recently had a used suregrip installed. As for the 2.45, I am not sure there is even a factory suregrip that is available for that case.

I can't believe these times with a 2.45 rear end. I have a 2.71 in my BBody so I guess I can dream for awhile until I get to the track and install the motor (de-stroked 340 to 305).

As for the 2.45, I am not sure there is even a factory suregrip that is available for that case.
There is. FMJ rears have them for 2.45 and 2.25 rears-I think I have one. I bet money late A bodies have them once in a blue moon as well.

Last edited:
Wow that is impressive. Love this thread. Gives me hope that I can put together a fun "on the cheap" engine!

I recently had a used suregrip installed. As for the 2.45, I am not sure there is even a factory suregrip that is available for that case.

The 8.25 or 8 1/4 rear axles that interchange are 2.25 & 2.45 but the sure grip unit for those axles is not supposed to inter change with the 2.73 and higher gears.

-
Back