Ignition boxes - worth it for the effieciencies

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking at MSD ignition boxes and wanted to find out from people using the product what they think?

I do not expect any additional horse power gain. But the added efficiencies (burning fuel evenly and additional spark to the plugs) and associated benefits (little better gas mileage, cold starts and improved idle) do seem interesting

Beside the price – is it worth the install?

Any gotchas?

The MSD advertises that it will do a few things. Better mileage & power from more sparks, more intense sparks, quicker start ups, & even lower emissions since all (or close) the fuel is being burnt.

I have found this to be true. Also use there coil mounted upright and up grade your wires and new plugs for the full package and best results.

Gotcha's?

Readjust the timing and fuel mix to get the best results. Start at a gap on the plug @ .050.
Problems in placing the box. That took longer than the instal.

My luck with MSD however has been less than stella. I have swap in and out approx. a dozen boxes. Returned them for repair under there warranty only to have them fail several times over and over. I will not personally ever purchase a MSD ignition box ever again.

I have 1 working unit from them that has lasted about 10-12 years now. If and when, actually, I'm sure it's when and not if, it goes, I'll look elsewhere for an ignition system.
Other people I know have had there box 15 plus years, no issues.

Personally, I don't know how they stay in biz with my track record with them.

i'd rather go HEI. used to run MSD. always had the 6al box. then my dart had the digital 6. the digital 6 went bad so i ditched it for stock chrysler electronic ign. never an issue with that.

have since gathered the parts to go HEI. it cleans up about 6 wires if i remember correctly and is easy to get a module for if it fails in my opinion..

I think I have 5 msd 6al.....2 are in use...with one or two as spares...and as said above they go back for repair if needed.....

the one msd 7-2 has been rock solid for many years now...

and I have one msd 6C I bought back in 1979, it still works...must have parts that were made in the USA in that one.

That sucks, I didn't know about reliability issues

My coil is upright on the firewall - I've heard about the problems with MSD coils

any other ignition box manufactures I could look into?

I have a Mallory HyFire 6AL on my race car. Installed it about 10 years ago and haven't had any issues. Coil is on the inside of the firewall to keep it away from the heat. Billet Mallory distributor w/magnetic pick-up and Accel wires complete the package.

I have been waiting to try this on something. It will work with the stock Mopar electronic distributor. My only worry is spark jump on the smaller distributor cap. It will probably end up on my 354 Gen 1 Hemi. The wiring diagram has been posted a few times in several threads.
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

I have been waiting to try this on something. It will work with the stock Mopar electronic distributor. My only worry is spark jump on the smaller distributor cap. It will probably end up on my 354 Gen 1 Hemi. The wiring diagram has been posted a few times in several threads.

That is a Ford diagram.
The Mopar diagram has no 3rd wire ground from the distributor and the ECU is grounded via it's mounting surface, or with a dedicated ground to the ECU. (can be done either way)

CudaJames, you can get one of our pre assembled HEI kits using the newer moisture proof ECU and connectors here if you are considering HEI. www.classichei.com
Our kits are pretty popular, and everyone is really happy with the performance of them.
$149 shipped to the lower 48, and they come with everything needed to be running HEI right out of the box.
(E core coil, 8 pin module, moisture proof connectors and all needed wiring pre assembled)

Been using msd system for over 6 years now not one single problem..well worth the money spent..

Been using msd system for over 6 years now not one single problem..well worth the money spent..

I agree on the 2 boxes that worked for me.
Otherwise, the MP Chrome box, FBO Chrome box, (better) have worked excellent for me.
I have an old Jacobs set up that uses the OE ignition as its trigger. It is a stupidly awesome box. I'd like to try out a Mallory set up next.

Mallory uses Jacobs tech after the parent company purchased Jacobs electronics. Mallory now has there "EZ" hook up system just like Doc Jacobs invented.

i have been running a msd 6a since 1990 and i bought it used and 2 6al's one from 1998 and one from 2006 all have run perfectly .

I have had a 6al on my 72 for 5 years never had a issue, my 72 currently has a 7al due to future motor upgrades neeing the more spark. I'll always use msd, but that's just me. It's up to you.

Ran an MSD 6 on my old Ranchero for a while. Chasing a problem I replaced it with the OEM Ford Dura-Spark II module. Wasn't the problem, but no difference in cold starting, fuel mileage, or power. The MSD has been in the garage ever since. Prolly ought to put it on CL and get it gone....

Try Mallory. Had 2 MSD fail on me (May Suddenly Fail) with no warning. Bought a beater Hyfire V (P/N 690, google it!) and its worked longer than the 2 MSDs together. And this thing is probably 35 years old. Has CD multispark and adjustable rev limiter built in and has 3 modes: electronic/points/crank trigger plus its as big as a 1970's lunchbox with thermos top!

I meant to mention that I converted my Valiant to the GM 8 pin module in prep for going throttle body EFI, likely with eventual ignition timing control too. I don't have any of the computer control stuff in place yet, just the HEI module conversion. Overall the engine behaves better than it ever did with the Mopar module, though I doubt there's been much if any fuel mileage increase.

A Canadian friend calls them a "Majorly Shiatty Device."

These big claims in changes in runability, starting, mileage, and power on a "fairly stock engine" are very troublesome. You really think? With the smog laws and mileage ratings the manufacturers have to meet that they'd leave something this easy "on the table?" I doubt that.

so far as Mallory, some of their products don't have a very good "internet" reliability rating, either.

HEI module. LMAO. Works great

Always tell us your year and engine when asking (it matters).

I think MSD is useful more for all-out racing, i.e. strong spark at >6000 rpm. For normal driving, any of the ~1990+ HEI modules are sufficient and simpler (GM, Ignitor II, ...). The Mopar ECU is 1970's electronics and requires a ballast (less efficient). The GM 8-pin module (posts 9 & 17) is preferred because it has sealed connectors. The earlier 4-pin module (post 8 ) leaves exposed copper. The 8-pin can also be computer-controlled for spark advance.

Be expecially careful of MSD boxes on ebay. You can find posts of opened ones that have just a tiny transistor inside the mostly-empty box. The Chinese knock-offs apparently all have the same SN.

All the fake MSD boxes had the same serial number....
Now.....I have this PC 2015 I bought for 40 bucks....and drilled out the pop rivets to see what was in it....

you can tell the difference in the idle of engine between the MP chrome box and the PC2015...NO..

the pc 2015 idles alot smoother

Attachments

• 20150513_155652.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 292
  • 20150513_155641.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 286
Another clue is that both counterfeits used the same serial number - 682013.

well, this will not be a straight forward as I thought

MSD's marketing department has done a fantastic job

It appears that Accel had a good product, but discontinued it. With several other major players in the field, Mallory, Crane, Holley etc

And i have other options to go HEI or both

Thank you everybody for the insight. It seems the products do help with efficiencies. So watch out for (redundant) cheap chinese crap

Accel had superior product, but got bought by Mallory's parent company and now Accel's product is just re-badged Mallory junk.

MSD has bought Accel Group which includes Mallory. You can Google more information on it, but we can only guess what changes will come.

Thank you everybody for the insight. It seems the products do help with efficiencies. So watch out for (redundant) cheap chinese crap

That cheap Chinese crap has been around for a while now. And watch where ha buy a msd. If it's too cheap it may be knock off. The knock offs will fool a lot of people. There are subtle differences between the real thing and the knock off.

-
Back