ignition HELP asap PLEASE

-

osxdos

72' Duster / 360
Reaction score
My girlfriend took the key out at savealot, couldn't get it back in and now I showed up tried to get the key in and broke it, tumblers are bad, original column, and ignition I'd there a easy way to start it without tearing down the column at SAVEALOT IN A PARKING LOT ?????

tmp_3370-PHOTO_20161226_161418568898269.jpg

tmp_3370-PHOTO_20161226_1613551349745981.jpg

tmp_3370-PHOTO_20161226_161714-1235151385.jpg

Looks like the key was worn out. You might try to use a pick, to see if there is metal left in slot. Do you have a better spare? I would try that after you clean slot. I have made new keys by clamping new blank and old key in vise and carefully filing to nearly match, leaving a few 0.001" on the new one, then give it a try. Never had a problem doing that. I had a locksmith make one for me when I purchased an auction car. He put in a blank, turned it slightly with vise-grips, read the tumbler dents, and filed from there, repeated the process a few times.

There is a sticky or article on this site about lock R and R if you need to do that. With lock assembly out you can pull the tumblers and keep track of their locations. Then install one at a time, file one groove to work, than add another...

Last edited:
I would do as KitCarlson said and get you some graphite to put in the ignition where the key goes. You can get some graphite at home depot. I had the same thing happen to me. The key didn't break,but it would not go in. After I sprayed some graphite in the lock,it loosened up and the key works again. Hope this helps.

Does it have locking steering?
Starting it won't do much good if it can't steer.

You could try tapping the broken part in all the way and use the rest of the key to turn it.
Might get you out of the parking lot and home.
Probably a good idea to spray it with some type of lube first and it might go in the rest of the way easier.

UnGodly unbelievable that is the only key you have.

so pissed off at that ignition I left the car there overnight, I started to take a flathead to see if I could break through to the steering wheel lock... I realized I wasent thinking rationally.. Damn man I don't have a steering wheel puller ... There's gotta be a way to break lock through ignition or to pop the ignition out it looks like if I had a special tool it would thread out

I Judy got it running decent heat works, heh radio, turn signals, starter now this, I should have never let her drive it!!! needless to say I'm still up doing needless to say I'm still up doing research on it I can't find that R n R link. I hope it don't get towed

don't think it's going to do any good now I trided to hammer aflathead, Flathead through the ignition or tried to with a hammer anyway ...and yes my only key I called one locksmith before I did that and they said it was to old if a vehicle they coykfnt do nothing

Everything you have suggested you guys I tried it sprayed it with WD-40 try to get it in I wasn't forceful with it but then I was getting frustrated with it so I took a flathead and Hammer to it

Looks like the key was worn out. You might try to use a pick, to see if there is metal left in slot. Do you have a better spare? I would try that after you clean slot. I have made new keys by clamping new blank and old key in vise and carefully filing to nearly match, leaving a few 0.001" on the new one, then give it a try. Never had a problem doing that. I had a locksmith make one for me when I purchased an auction car. He put in a blank, turned it slightly with vise-grips, read the tumbler dents, and filed from there, repeated the process a few times.

There is a sticky or article on this site about lock R and R if you need to do that. With lock assembly out you can pull the tumblers and keep track of their locations. Then install one at a time, file one groove to work, than add another...
Do I have to have a pull tool for the steering wheel

First, do not blame on girl friend. She did normal thing of removing key, to keep somebody from driving off with car. Post #5, sums it up. Spare key cheap insurance.

Here is about changing ignition switch: How To Install an Ignition Switch in 1970 Dodge Dart
Time now to get it towed, fix it right. Might need more parts, after work with hammer. Most use dent puller to pull lock out, never tried that. I do my best not to booger, to avoid more fixing.

First, do not blame on girl friend. She did normal thing of removing key, to keep somebody from driving off with car. Post #5, sums it up. Spare key cheap insurance.

Here is about changing ignition switch: How To Install an Ignition Switch in 1970 Dodge Dart
Time now to get it towed, fix it right. Might need more parts, after work with hammer. Most use dent puller to pull lock out, never tried that. I do my best not to booger, to avoid more fixing.
I've already seen that, what it doesn't show is him actually using it with the wheel on, I've never used one

follow the thread posted above then these pics to get the tumbler out.. put the ******* hammer away and fix the stupid thing properly.. if you need a new tumblr let me know. i should have one with a key out in the shed.. i'll send i to you for just shipping cost.. can't get to it till the weekend though.

some have a pin that need to be depressed and some have a clip that has to be depressed.. not sure if the difference is in the years or just a random thing...

it also seems that you need a key in the ignition. even if it's not the right one.. not sure why but that has been my experience..
DSC_0133.jpg

with a key in, depress the pin or clip and pull it all out...
DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

Last edited:
I've already seen that, what it doesn't show is him actually using it with the wheel on, I've never used one

pull the horn button and it will work the same on your car... if you still can't figure it out then go look it up on youtube. i'm sure you'll find it there.. come on man.. we can't hold your hand here.. put the hammer the hell away, rent the tool and figure it out..

pull the horn button and it will work the same on your car... if you still can't figure it out then go look it up on youtube. i'm sure you'll find it there.. come on man.. we can't hold your hand here.. put the hammer the hell away, rent the tool and figure it out..
okay okay so I just stop by my friend's garage he gave me these 2 pullers I hope they work you think they will

tmp_5656-PHOTO_20161227_0828571910681432.jpg

Does this look right .... I don't know if that plate has to come off or not, but ....

tmp_5656-PHOTO_20161227_090059491794498.jpg

tmp_5656-PHOTO_20161227_090043-834105840.jpg

-
Back