Is a GMC truck just a dressed up Chevy truck?

-
The earlier Buick 231's had the same oil pump configuration. They changed it to a gerotor pump on the crankshaft, injected the engine and made it into something dependable.

My grandpa always told me that GMC trucks were always a higher trim, level and nicer and more options. Usually they had different trim, wheels grills, that kind of stuff. And yes they cost more…..

Last summer I bought a pair of 63 Valiants from a guy, and I had my 19 Ram 1500 to trailer them home, the guy had a nice GMC, his was pretty new…. He asked me how I liked it and how I liked the hemi power, I told him I was really happy with it. He told me that he had to have some hail damage repair on his GMC and he got a rental while us was being fixed they gave him a hemi powered Ram, and he said he really liked it, and that it had way more power than his GMC and rode nicer, he was telling me how he was thinking about trading it in on a Ram….

The Buick 350 was the most prolific engine used in that time period, because they had an enormous Amount of them left over. I'd MUCH rather have a Buick 350 than a Chevy 350 any day anyway. Way more torquey. The only "weak" spot on the Buick V8 was the timing cover. It was a high wear item, because everything mounted on it. Distributor, water pump, fuel pump and I think even the oil pump body was an integral part of the timing cover. There was a lot of action goin on in the Buick timing cover, but they were really good engines.

I owned (well, my mom and me) two of them. A 70 4 barrel in a lesabre and a 72 2 barrel in a skylark.

The v6 in those mid 60's gmc trucks was 304 cubic inches IIRC. Looked like a V8 except for the spark plug and exhaust port count.

The whole Dodge/Plymouth "luxury" thing is kinda blurry.

C body VIP vs Monaco?

B body Satellite/GTX in 66 and 67 has WAY more extra cost "trinkets" than Coronet 500 and R\T.
(but they do have a squeaky/bendy plastic mount for the headlight switch vs the Dodge metal dash area)

GMC dealers are or were truck people. They sell heavier duty commercial trucks, fleets/ utilities/ many bought GMC trucks
I came close to buying a K30 from a GMC dealer, they knew their product and offered a better deal and service
I cant comment on the trim issues as I wouldn't know
The GM 350 four bolt main engine with the SM465 4 speed was virtually indestructible. Their automatic trans also held up very well

Before I got back into Mopars, I had 20-30 67-72 GMC and Chevrolet trucks that I hot rodded and/or restored. You could order the GMC with coil spring rear suspension and vice versa. By and large, GMC was leaf spring and Chevrolet was coil spring.

yes, but not always the Advance design Chevy truck style of 1947-55 the GMC had its own engine I think it was a "Bigger six"

I owned (well, my mom and me) two of them. A 70 4 barrel in a lesabre and a 72 2 barrel in a skylark.

The v6 in those mid 60's gmc trucks was 304 cubic inches IIRC. Looked like a V8 except for the spark plug and exhaust port count.
The early GMC truck V6s were from 305 all the way to 478 cubes.

oh the horror... plymouth and one dodge.. same truck, different name.

1974-plymouth-trailduster-6.jpg

1977-Dodge-Ramcharger-01.jpg

70's and 80's Plymouth trucks and vans were actually marketed as "station wagons".

That's why they only sold window vans badged as a Plymouth, and why they only sold a Ramcharger clone and not any other truck body.

Actually no, GMC also used the long control arm/coil spring rear suspension on 1/2 tons in that era. Worked on lots of them, and buddy of mine has owned at least 7 or 8, still has a 71 GMC 1/2 ton with that setup. Does make for a much better ride than parallel leaf springs and can still haul a decent amount of weight.
And it is an excellent traction device, works kinda like a long ladder bar. Nascar stockers still use a variant today.

I have a 96 GMC Suburban and a 99 Yukon. I love them. If that makes me a homo, then so be it. I still love my Mopars tho.

yes, but not always the Advance design Chevy truck style of 1947-55 the GMC had its own engine I think it was a "Bigger six"
Back then and all the way up to the new century I thought the chevys looked better than the gmc`s, I own 2 GMC`s .

I get tired explaining to guys that the GMCs come down the line they split from the line and go up to the next level where the atmosphere totally changes, with classical music played, the employees are standing on red carpet. Champaign dispensers are located through out, and crates of lockwashers everywhere.

:lol:

I have a 96 GMC Suburban and a 99 Yukon. I love them. If that makes me a homo, then so be it. I still love my Mopars tho.
I always find it amusing that someone asks a question and the first thing someone can think of is homosexuality. It's what our younger generation would describe as "a little sus"

When it comes to trucks I own nothing but Ford but if I bought another brand it would be GMC just don't like the Rams!!!

I've owned three Dakotas, my mom has owned two Dakotas, my brother in law has owned 2 Dakotas, and a close friend of the family has owned two Dakotas and a Durango.

Man, I miss the Dakota.

When and if it comes back, I hope it's not a weak representation.

I always find it amusing that someone asks a question and the first thing someone can think of is homosexuality. It's what our younger generation would describe as "a little sus"
I am 28, we like to call that, Small Dick energy.

GMC is always in my mind is and always has been the higher level truck with more options, tech, etc..... meaning the Chevy's were usually abused a bit more and harder to come by in good shape. So when it comes to my square body preference, Chevy > GMC no matter what. If I had an OBS I think I'd go GMC Sierra though.

IMG_5669.JPG

The early GMC truck V6s were from 305 all the way to 478 cubes.
In the early 80s my brother picked up from a coworker a '67 GMC 1 ton (I guess that would make it a 3500) flatbed dually with a 351 V6, 4 speed, and Detroit locker. It got horrible gas mileage but nowadays would be a cool truck to find again. Dad bought it from my brother, then Dad sold it in the late 80s.

In the early 80s my brother picked up from a coworker a '67 GMC 1 ton (I guess that would make it a 3500) flatbed dually with a 351 V6, 4 speed, and Detroit locker. It got horrible gas mileage but nowadays would be a cool truck to find again. Dad bought it from my brother, then Dad sold it in the late 80s.
Those engines all had a really unique sound.

I've owned three Dakotas, my mom has owned two Dakotas, my brother in law has owned 2 Dakotas, and a close friend of the family has owned two Dakotas and a Durango.

Man, I miss the Dakota.

When and if it comes back, I hope it's not a weak representation.
No kidding. I had a 98 Dakota Sport with the 4 cylinder and a 5 speed. I really loved that truck. I drove it for many problem free years. A few years ago, Dodge said they were coming back out with the Dakota. Of course, even if they did, it would probably be 90 or 95% as big as a full-size Ram half ton with Dodge (or Ram or whatever) bragging about their new "compact" truck.

When I was in the Navy, and had the 440-6 tore down, some clown told me "I should just go to the Dodge dealer and order a new short block."

"Why Dodge?"

"Because they are better"

"Better?"

"Yeah, the Dodge engines are built better than the Plymouth ones."

I tried to explain to him that the short block will have a CHRYSLER corp part number but he was adamant that Dodge engines are better quality than Plymouth

-
Back