Life's most embarrassing car moments

-
Reaction score
Truth or lies!!! What's one or two of the most embarrassing moments
Involving you and your car.
1967' tacoma,wa. I bought a 1956 Chevrolet station wagon with a bad engine
Nice body. Well I rented a bumper hitch tow bar and we got al hooked and started down a very steep street,one of those that you go down a block
Flatten out for a intersection then down a steep block.
As we started down ,went pretty slow and pretty proud of myself. Well after
The second intersection my wife then of one year said look at the car passing
Us looks just like the one we just bought. IT WAS, I had to punch it get in front of an hit the brakes and let it hit the back of our car. Took almost 2 blocks to get it stopped but not a whole lot of damage.
Reason 1 1/2 inch ball 2 inch tow bar 8 o clock sat morn
No traffic or cops 19 years old '!!!!!!!!",,,,,,,!!
Moe:prayer:

My Duster ran out of gas in a busy intersection during heavy traffic. *blush*

Also ran out of gas on the way home from Woodward Avenue on the freeway.

Can you tell that my Duster is a gas hog with an unreliable gas gauge?

Borrowed my parent's VW-based fiberglass bodied street buggy to do some running around in a nice summer day. Was driving back to our apartment to pick up my wife when the left rear tire came off and passed me as I pulled over to the side of the road. Jumped out and chased it down the street.
It had to be hilarious for those who saw it happen.

Bought a 1970 Duster 340 4 speed car on ebay 7 or 8 years ago. Cool car all original orange paint. Nice car that needed a restore. I drove out and picked it up from AZ, it was an all day round trip deal. When I got home I parked up in the driveway with the truck and trailer and pulled out the ramps on the trailer and started unstraping the car. When I unstraped the front the car the car took off rolling down the trailer and across the street hitting the curb on the other side of the street. I can still remember the strap burns on my hands as I'm typing this out. I was trying to hold the car but it was not to be, once I released that last front strap it was all over.

Good news is nobody was hurt and the car was fine but yes if anybody seen it. It would have been embarrassing.

My first 65 Barracuda and I'm at my local Mopar club car show with a for sale sign on it about 15 years ago. All of a sudden smoke starts rolling out from under the hood. I pop the hood to find the positive battery cable on fire. I don't remember how we got the fire put out, but for some reason it didn't sell that day.

Stop at the light and engine stalls after idling for almost 1 min. freaken Holley float needle stuck shut. Had to unscrew it, give it a shake and put back in. Used the secondary pump to give it some fuel and got it back going. Took under 5 mins but feels like 20 when you got horns blowing and folks shouting crap at you.

That holley of mine did it about 3 times in 2 years, even got a needle and seat. So far my dual Carters have yet to let me down in 7,500 miles.

A few years back,I was running N20 on a big block El Camino.We negotiated the terms and rules,went to do a final safety check before running.Went to purge the solenoids.Cracked the valve,a bunch of high psi N20 came from under the car.Everyone just stares like( you dumbass! ) look on their faces.Had a kink in the line.Oh well.

And then i got the arrangement hearing and a month later plea deal court hearing from reckless to careless driving event by some sneaky *** PD who uses undercover plain clothes cops who twist facts all around..that was loads of fun. I got to hang out with the shoplifters, drunk drivers and leaving the scene of an accident folks..only one there on a reckless charge, lol

My 70 Duster, when almost new, with future wife in car. Still had the manual. Backed out of a friend's driveway, into the street. Girlfriend still talking to people; they start hollering " burn rubber". so...

I rev it up and dump the clutch.

It was still in reverse, backwards burn out.

I quess, because of the gear ratio in reverse, it over-revved (still the original oil filter). Noise, blue smoke all over the place, oil light on..

We had to get a ride home, too dark to see. Well, I had ruptured the oil filter, and the smoke was oil on the exhaust. I didn't sleep all night, trying to come up with a lie that warranty would replace...

Same car, in avator; this is why flat 16 gauge is in the trunk. Married gf, and we and another couple took the car onto St Augustine Beach. Drinks, sun, fell asleep on the beach.

Woke up;holt ****, I didn't know the tide came in that fast. 4 wheel pulled it out of the ocean, hosed it down good, including trunk and rear quarters, I thought. Years later- NOT!

My brother and I were driving to work one Saturday at 4:30 in the morning. We worked deliveries and cleaning our parents bakery. I was driving my '69 Mercury Cougar 351C and we came up on a Nova who wanted to race. We came hit it and went around a curve three blocks ahead. We had beat him so badly by the time he rounded the curve we were two blocks away and still pulling away. That was when the asshole off duty cop put the cherry on top of his Nova and pulled us over. Got a speeding ticket even though he urged us to race. Kicked his ***, though, and told every cop that was called to the scene what happened. Maybe not embarrassing, but a pisser of a moment!

yea, i have had my moments. wife works 3-11, no one to help, i go to push out a 340-4 speed duster roller out of under my carport. no brakes, and driveway is steep.

got it rolling slowly, but all of a sudden, i could not hold it anymore, and it picked up speed more and more. so i threw the emergency block under the wheel. forget it, the car was so light with no engine under the hood, it rolled right over it. i had all the glass for the car sitting on the hood and trunk, buckets of bolts inside the car, with rotted out floors. that car took off like a jet down my driveway, hit my riding mower, and just pushed it out of it own way!. hit the drain ditch at road and whole car flew into the air about 2 ft!. thank god the wheels turned at this moment, as if it would of gone straight, it would of when down an embankment 50 ft down and over a 1/4 mile away!, into some trees. did not hurt the car that i could tell, but i lost about 100 lbs of mopar nuts/bolts dead in the middle of the road, and all the glass shattered in the middle also. the only piece still together was the front windsheild!. but spidercracked like a mother**** .lmao now i do not move cars in my yard under any circumstances by myself.

yeah, well, i'll bet i'm one of the few people on earth who totalled a vehicle without even being in it. had a little '84 mazda pickup. winter time, started it to warm up. sitting in the same place it always did. my daughter went out to catch the bus & comes running back in "dad, your truck's rolling over the bank!" i almost caught up to it in the back yard. the blinkin thing then spun around & started rolling forward. did i mention there was a 4 acre hay field behind the house? downhill of course, creek at bottom. i'll bet that truck was doing 45 when it went air borne, jumped the creeek & hit a tree! embarassing?

yea, i have had my moments. wife works 3-11, no one to help, i go to push out a 340-4 speed duster roller out of under my carport. no brakes, and driveway is steep.

got it rolling slowly, but all of a sudden, i could not hold it anymore, and it picked up speed more and more. so i threw the emergency block under the wheel. forget it, the car was so light with no engine under the hood, it rolled right over it. i had all the glass for the car sitting on the hood and trunk, buckets of bolts inside the car, with rotted out floors. that car took off like a jet down my driveway, hit my riding mower, and just pushed it out of it own way!. hit the drain ditch at road and whole car flew into the air about 2 ft!. thank god the wheels turned at this moment, as if it would of gone straight, it would of when down an embankment 50 ft down and over a 1/4 mile away!, into some trees. did not hurt the car that i could tell, but i lost about 100 lbs of mopar nuts/bolts dead in the middle of the road, and all the glass shattered in the middle also. the only piece still together was the front windsheild!. but spidercracked like a mother**** .lmao now i do not move cars in my yard under any circumstances by myself.

Yeah, I've seen your yard and road. Pretty steep right in middle of the mountains there.

Im at a light in my Honda AN600 sedan (remember those?) and the piston pin retainer fails and digs a ditch on my cylinder. It starts blowing smoke in a way that would make NASA proud. It was so thick that I couldnt see if there was anyone in front of me to pull over to the side so I had to get out, further helping the embarrassment factor. limped it 1 mile home and replaced the cylinder bank in about 60 minutes. Imagine a 2 cyl Motorcycle motor, that is what it had in it.
I was driving my sisters MG replica on a VW chassis when the front left wire wheel cover decides to jettison. It is rolling down the street at the same speed Im driving so I just pull up along side it and grab it while its still rolling. The car and doors wer so low I could reach it no problem. After I make the snag, 2 guys across the street start cheering and whistling! They saw the entire thing. Cut my hand but saved my sisters cover. 2 miles later I try and make a hard stop and the F'n VW brakes sink to the floor (needed to pump them my sister tells me) so I nip this guys taillight with my fender when I forced it up on the median trying to avoid the rearender.

Bought my first car in highschool 68 440/4 speed roadrunner, driving it home about 8 blocks the hood flew up i slammed on the brakes and my friend that gave me a ride over there was right behind me on his yamaha enduro hit me right in the *** and landed on the trunk.

Ran out of gas in the middle of an intersection in my bigblock 72 gran torino sport had to push the heavy thing the rest of the way across to the gas station many witnesses that day.

Just bought a 71 scamp driving home from philadelphia was completely fine in stop and go traffic for about 30 miles on 95 then all of a sudden it decided to die at every. single. stoplight/sign. Had to put the car in neutral whenever i started to slow down and rev the engine so it didn't die. i had a line of cars behind me for 4 and a half miles all honking. I just laughed and shrugged it off. But those people weren't too happy with me especially the people right behind me because whenever i started the car back up they got a nice big puff of exhaust fumes...let the good times begin.

Not actually because of the car, but I was wearing shorts and a beehit my mirror and bounced off my chest the apparently landed close enough to my junk that it was a short walk.
Coming up to a red light in traffic and WHAMMO, stings me right on the inside of my leg up inside the shorts.
Grab my shorts to stop or smash the bee and hold on to it while I got the car stopped at the light and jumped out to dump the bee.
Women laughing, and well, you get it.

I was in my 71 Swinger and had just gotten back from the drag strip, my car was open headers, and decided to take it around the cruise route in my home town. Going around the route involved going through the McDonalds parking lot. Just out of the lot on the right was a road that was parallel with the lot. Well, some of my buds were hangin out at the parking lot and as I came through they're were all shoutin burn em, blah, blah. Well, I come out of the parking lot full throttle hangin right to go down the road parallel and even though the car was turning 5000rpm I faintly heard "cop". As soon as the car slid around to the road heading back the other way, tires smoking, the car swung around somewhat facing the McD's lot and there was a cop sitting there watching me!!
I shot down the road went across the highway into the grocery store parking lot and shut if off. The cop, whom I knew and his son was one grade under me in h/s, just drove on by with his window down and said, "don't do it again." and kept driving. Talk about a red face. LOL.

At 17 I had a 67 Mustang with a hopped up engine complete with street dumps and a 9 inch posi rearend that I had toasted the transmission on by hot rodding. It was the fastest car in the county at the time prior to the transmission toat.. I had the trans rebuilt so it would take the abuse and thought I was just tuff crap. It had N50/15 inch tires on the back with steel chrome slots. I launched the car from a stop sign to show off and those N50s didn't break loose but the centers sheared right out of both of the wheels. I was back to driving on the old factory steel skinny wheels and my car looked stupid. Later on I got another set of wheels and put the N50s back on the car and then I cracked them through the lug nut holes. Next set of wheels were Keystone Klassics and I tore the centers loose on them. I really miss that car even though it was a Mustang.

Had an old Honda Shadow 1100. Was one cold blooded s.o.b......Was turning right out of the parking lot at work, gassed it, it burped and pulled the bars out of my hands and down it went. I was still standing when all was said and done......

Sounds like you are a little hard on wheels OK.

I ran out of gas in the barracuda 3 times. Once coming home and was going to stop to fill up, the second time I was going to pick some people up then fill up coming home, and the third time I had no idea that it was that empty. At least the 3rd time it died as I left the driveway so I was able to park on the side of the street, walk back up the driveway, and take my caprice to where I was going then fill a small gas tank to get the cuda to the station down the street. It has also died multiple times while attempting to show off.

Had a 1972 Duster with a bone stock 318. My buddy is following me home one night from the bar (yes, I was young, stupid, and driving after having had a few) after going to see a friends band play. He is driving his new Camry (Sentra, can't remember exactly). We stop at a red light, there is no other traffic nearby, he hollers "let's race". Like a dumbass, I agree. Light turns red, we both punch it. My sad little stock 318 with the 2 barrel kept up for a bit, but my buddies Camry pulls away from me and off he goes. I started to let off the gas and was going to take it easy the rest of the way, but then the I hear something metal hit the pavement and the car creaped to a stop on it's own.

I got the car stopped and parked, took my shirt off to get under the car to see what happened. Saw that the driveshaft was missing. I was running down the street looking for my driveshaft when my buddy finally came back to see what had happened to me. Luckily for me this was late at night and there were no others cars on the road.

-
Back