Magnum turbo setups!

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 71 Demon, currently has a decent bb383, that sadly locked up on break in for some reason.. I plan to fix it but not sure I want to put it back in at this point.. I have wanted to turbo the car for some time (after driving a turbo fox body mustang) SO I'm looking for budget to top dollar setups, pic/info would be great.. here is what I was thinking

99 360 magnum (have in my durango)
46re from same truck ^ or I have a SB 727 as well
EFI - more than likely MS3PRO but could run the stock EFI as well
OBX 1 3/4" shorty headers flipped

Chassis is already well on it's way -

B body 8.75 w/ 3.23's
FULL drag suspension
B body disc/drums
Needs subframes welded in that's about it..

Look for the single setups with swapped magnum manifolds. Thats what im doing. Ebay GT45 Turbo, 2.5" hot side.

That's my plan as well, well a little bigger turbo as I want well north of 600hp (BWS475), I found a guy on here that posted pics in the pics thread of this section, and PM'd him but haven't heard back yet -

I found OBX 1 3/4" primary 2.5" outlet shorty headers on ebay, I may use..

What would you like to know?

For EFI you really can't use a stock computer for the efi with a turbo. You would need to do a Megasquirt or similar. People with Dakotas that add a turbo use a megasquirt to piggy back the stock ECU because they need the megasquirt to handle the fuel and boost.. if you are doing it from scratch why go through the hassel of using two systems?

The common thing to do with a single turbo is to get some exhaust manifolds and flip them so they face forward. Dodge dakota shorty headers will also work BUT the down side is the location of the Magnum PS pump.. It stick out and is in the way. You could just go manual steering ( that's what I am doing ) or you would need to be a bit creative with the driver side exhaust. if you go manual steering, you need to do a little pulley re-engineering. It was pretty easy. I have the belt size and what you need if you want to go that route. It was very inexpensive to do.

Turbo size.. you will get about 1000000000000000000000000 opinions on that. some people like ebay turbos. Some swear by them. I am in the ball park of you get what you pay for and if an ebay turbo goes boom then that metal goes int your intake and bigger BOOM!!! Cheap turbo just cost you a LOT more than a better turbo.

I also have a set of the larger manifolds in great shape that I won't use because i bought the dakota headers.

For transmission, I would not go with the 46RE.. they are the known weak point on a dodge truck. If I had a dollar for every time I heard or read "The engine is great but on my 3rd tranny". The 727 is TOUGH.. I had on bolted up to my bb that was putting out some serious torque. Even with the 40 inch tires, mud holes and pulling friends Fords and Jeeps out of the woods I never had a tranny issue.. i beat the crap out of it. I actually still have it all wrapped up in plastic with no tail section. I have a small block case that is all cleaned and the plan was to swap the guys from the big block to the small block since it was a built tranny. Never got around to it and now it takes up space. I only ran Amsoil synthetic in it. Buy yourself a manual reverse pattern valve body and have a blast. They aren't that much and will make driving it more fun.

I also have a set of manifolds laying around if you need them. I went with the shorty headers for a dakota.

I have a core small block car 727, that I will have built by my friend.. I will more than likely go with truck headers as well as I plan to run Edelbrock magnum heads, as for pulley's I'm not sure yet.. I would like to run V belt as that is what my alternator is setup for.. probably cross that bridge when I get there..

1st thing to do is figure out how to fix the 383 in the car, sell it, and buy a decent 360..

Probably my next move,(turbo)once I tune the N/A Magnum I have.

For transmission, I would not go with the 46RE.. they are the known weak point on a dodge truck. If I had a dollar for every time I heard or read "The engine is great but on my 3rd tranny". The 727 is TOUGH..

A 46RE IS a 727---with an OD. They can easily be built, according to anyone I've talked to. But you cannot put a 46RE into an "A" without hacking up the floor.

46re from same truck ^ or I have a SB 727 as well
R46re is a pcm/trans controlled transmission, The older 518 46rh, use a governor /tv cable like a 727 for shifting.
When you start throwing big power , you need to upgrade with 48re hard parts , better alto red clutches, better bands, etc. You can throw some big money into one.
I would contact someone that knows the 46re vs the 727 and can answer your question as to what to meet your goals.
http://www.aandatrans.com/

Rick the owner can direct you in the right direction. He knows his *hit

http://www.moparmax.com/features/2012/vii_7-aatrans-1.html

This is my turbo mag 318 setup:

318 stock bore, stock bottom end
EQ heads, Hughes 1.65 rockers
Custom Grind, 214/220 115 LSA
Turbonetics 62-1 .84 A/R
MS2 squirting 44lb injectors on bosh BIP 373 ignition chip
Edelbrock 4 bbl 1000cfm throttle body
MP 4bbl intake with custom fuel rails
Aeromotive 750 pump and regulator w/ -6 an lines
Tial 38mm wastegate, HHS SSQV BOV
Custom exhaust from chopping up a set of dakota headers
You can't see but there's a big water meth sprayer into the intake and a 3 gal tank in the back

After some tuning I got her running pretty well. Smoked a clutch in my 904 so shes a little crippled but I drove her around the block. Haven't gotten into boost yet. Learning MS is a process and the tuning is taking me a while. Dont want to go into a lean boost condition.

If you want to retain power steering you will be building custom headers. Stock mag exhaust will not clear a power steering box. Now that being said, I would think that you could grind the mag exhaust manifold and raise or shift the engine a couple inches max, this would clear the box. But...it may not clear a stock hood.

In hindsight I would have used thick iron log style custom manifolds instead of 15 ga 409 stainless. I used 4 flex joints so we'll see how it works out. Only use flex joints without inner braiding. The braiding can only be used post turbo. Logs are easy to make and perform better because they retain heat esp when wrapped, won't warp and way less likely to crack. Plus they're easy to make tight clearance when clearing power steering and inner fenders. Oh and V-band joints are the only way to go. My hot side is 2.5" and the downpipe is 3" to the tailpipe. IMO, skip the eBay turbo and go for a better turbo with preferably ball bearings. Cheap turbos throw out the shaft play quickly and the turbine or compressor will thrust into the housing and trash it.

Attachments

• IMG_6163(1).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,330
  • IMG_6164.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,193
Who said you can't run a turbo on a stock magnum ecm?? I am, and it runs like a raped ape. There are actually guys out there that can make it work without having to start from scratch. Sct handheld and FlyinRyan will make it happen. If you are interested I can get you his contact information.

Attachments

• 20150923_145517_resized.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,267
BadAdd71 - OOps.. didn't think that the ECM was cracked to allow boost control, timing and fuel. I was wrong on that one. I do know that the dakota boys tend to piggy back a MS system with the stock ECM.

67Dart273 - They are the same to a point but like Blown71Duster said.. PCM controlled shifting so a real ***** to use in a swap. Also, with big horsepower that overdrive gear will break in a 46RE.. i had one go with a stock 5.2

T56MaxTorque - Nice setup.. I know exactly what you mean by the powersteering.. what a *****. I am undecided on the hot side diameter. I was actually leaning toward 2" for hot side with 3" exhaust. Pros and Cons to everything but since i am doing a little 5.2 i like the higher velocity to spool up the turbo quicker. I will be ceramic coating the hot side as well. Mind if I ask why your intake/throttle body combo? I purchased a hughes magnum intake because the stock ones are notorious for intake manifold leaks and they get it made by edelbrock. They also have the big gulp throttle body to throw on it.

I am still amazed you seized a 383.. those and 400s are practically indestructible.

I chose my intake because it was rather cheap for a 4bbl style intake with fuel injector ports. La style was hundreds more. And I'm not worried about the single plane, the turbo mixes everything nicely. The magnum keg intake is quite big and with an intake bonnet, I wasn't sure if clear my hood.

BadAdd71 - OOps.. didn't think that the ECM was cracked to allow boost control, timing and fuel. I was wrong on that one. I do know that the dakota boys tend to piggy back a MS system with the stock ECM.

67Dart273 - They are the same to a point but like Blown71Duster said.. PCM controlled shifting so a real ***** to use in a swap. Also, with big horsepower that overdrive gear will break in a 46RE.. i had one go with a stock 5.2

T56MaxTorque - Nice setup.. I know exactly what you mean by the powersteering.. what a *****. I am undecided on the hot side diameter. I was actually leaning toward 2" for hot side with 3" exhaust. Pros and Cons to everything but since i am doing a little 5.2 i like the higher velocity to spool up the turbo quicker. I will be ceramic coating the hot side as well. Mind if I ask why your intake/throttle body combo? I purchased a hughes magnum intake because the stock ones are notorious for intake manifold leaks and they get it made by edelbrock. They also have the big gulp throttle body to throw on it.

I am still amazed you seized a 383.. those and 400s are practically indestructible.
It turns, I think a valve guide dropped and hung up a valve.. it locked up while turning it over, not running..

La block, mag heads, mag manifolds
20150614_142947_zps4spzodce.jpg

Roller cam is absolutely worth it on a turbo setup, esp EFI. Otherwise, you're going to try and break in a cam on an engine with a lot of things that can leak or otherwise not work like you expect them to . It would be wise to break in a cam with a carb to simplify the setup

Who said you can't run a turbo on a stock magnum ecm?? I am, and it runs like a raped ape. There are actually guys out there that can make it work without having to start from scratch. Sct handheld and FlyinRyan will make it happen. If you are interested I can get you his contact information.
What kind of power are you making? I'm considering a stone stock long block with flipped stock manifolds build here.. maybe upgrade a couple things along with a regasket of the motor..

So what exhaust options are there for a power steering Magnum swap car?

What kind of power are you making? I'm considering a stone stock long block with flipped stock manifolds build here.. maybe upgrade a couple things along with a regasket of the motor..

Car put down last weekend 458 horsepower at 5800 and 513 torque at 3600 pushing 14 psi. That's about as far as I plan on pushing the stock bottom end. I ditched the stock heads in favor of a set of EQ's and installed ARP head studs along with a pair of upgraded felpro gaskets. Also running a Hughes air gap dual plane intake, throttle body and cam.

So what exhaust options are there for a power steering Magnum swap car?

Only custom manifolds will work with power steering I believe, if you want your crossover pipe to go forward.

-
Back