Mod Man Intake Dyno numbers?

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I've heard and seen all the data out there pointing at carb style intakes for the new hemi and the power drops they see. However, I've yet to find any numbers for the Indy Mod Man intake setup. I saw the article comparing the 5.7, 6.1, and Mopar performance setup with the 40 hp and 40 torque loss on the Mopar performance piece and another user on here posted a dyno sheet with the 5.7, 6.1, and an XV setup where the XV showed similar losses (if not a little more than the Mopar piece). I remember seeing the Horsepower TV episode where they did the Fast EFI setup on the Mod Man and the 400 horsepower number, but I don't recall seeing torque numbers with it and it wasn't really a direct comparison against other intakes using the same setup. That being said, has anyone done a dyno run with the Mod Man setup with a stock engine or compared it against an similar engine with just a different intake? I'm really leaning toward it for the price tag and possibility of doing a blower upgrade later, but I was wondering how bad of a hit I might take in power and torque.

I dont' suppose anyone has the Horsepower TV episode recorded and could look back over the numbers to see if they can pick out a torque value? I wish I would have recorded it now, back at the time I was thinking of doing a smallblock build for my car and didn't bother keeping the hemi rebuild.

I sent Indy an e-mail asking them to log onto FABO and give some info. Hopefully they will give us the facts we need to make our decisions.:clock:

That would be awesome, would love to see a straight up comparison. I'm sure as a manufacturer they'll put their spin on it, but either way it would be nice to at least see some numbers. I wouldn't think horsepower numbers would get hit so bad with the short runners making more top end, but I'm more concerned with the torque since I'll be driving my car around town a lot and don't want to have to wind it to 4 grand to make power, lol.

Exactly. I want to know what the low end is like. I will see cruising in the 2000 rpm range with a carb.

In the future, I will go to injection and it is nice to have options for the same intake:
http://indyheads.com/images/news7.pdf Check out the EFI bonnet with the 90MM throttle body... or the daul 4bbl throttle bodies. or even a single. That is what makes the ModMan so atractive; The options. But if it dont perform in the real world, why bother? I hope they chime in soon. Maybe if others sent them a link to this thread and asked for a response? [email protected]

Yeah, I was thinking I might go injected down the road too, though I might like to do port injected. The only reason I say that is because I'm thinking about a blower on top, and the Mod Man would be awesome for that if the runners have bosses that can be drilled for injectors.

Oh wow, nevermind, I just looked at that pdf. I hadn't seen that kind of throttle bottle bonnet before with the fuel rails. That's awesome, now I really want one, the possibilities are almost endless, lol.

I am disapointed in Indy's customer service.:angry7: I have sent several emails asking them to reply to this thread or to me by email and have not had a reply. What is so hard about sending an email? I would gladly share the info here for them (free advertisement is what it would amount to) but no. Cant find a few minutes to reply and share some info to a potential/probable customer.....:wack:

Indy will never reply to a thread at a forum like this or other like it.

Indy's customer service is widely known as crap. Very well known, and I really mean VERY WELL KNOWN AS CRAP.

You only get somewhere with Indy is when you purchase there product from a speedshop, like Jegs or summit or equal and they'll get on Indy for a replacement part or new part.

Otherwise, your screwed and tattooooo'd big time and well.

Indy will never reply to a thread at a forum like this or other like it.

Indy's customer service is widely known as crap. Very well known, and I really mean VERY WELL KNOWN AS CRAP.

You only get somewhere with Indy is when you purchase there product from a speedshop, like Jegs or summit or equal and they'll get on Indy for a replacement part or new part.

Otherwise, your screwed and tattooooo'd big time and well.
rumblefish is dead on on this subject.Mark

So I've heard and seen all the data out there pointing at carb style intakes for the new hemi and the power drops they see. However, I've yet to find any numbers for the Indy Mod Man intake setup. I saw the article comparing the 5.7, 6.1, and Mopar performance setup with the 40 hp and 40 torque loss on the Mopar performance piece and another user on here posted a dyno sheet with the 5.7, 6.1, and an XV setup where the XV showed similar losses (if not a little more than the Mopar piece). I remember seeing the Horsepower TV episode where they did the Fast EFI setup on the Mod Man and the 400 horsepower number, but I don't recall seeing torque numbers with it and it wasn't really a direct comparison against other intakes using the same setup. That being said, has anyone done a dyno run with the Mod Man setup with a stock engine or compared it against an similar engine with just a different intake? I'm really leaning toward it for the price tag and possibility of doing a blower upgrade later, but I was wondering how bad of a hit I might take in power and torque.
If you can stand that thought, stop reading . If you have a smaller budget, bobr@dynamicefi sells a reflashed/upgraded #227747, ecm for $430. (4) injector up-grade adds $75. GM, bbc,TBI's will mod to flow 900 cfm. NO AFFILLIATION. Good Luck, ateam.:twisted:

Yeah, one reason I was leaning toward this intake was because I planned to go carb to start with. I already have one I think will work well and it would let me get the engine in the car and running easier. Down the road I'd have any number of ways to go injected, whether with a TBI or the hood and throttle body that Indy shows on the setup or whatever. I had a hard time believing a modular intake like this was cheaper than about anything else out there. Mopar wants like $800 for theirs and XV has theirs around $500 I think. Just seems silly to go with something else for a carb style setup.

Yeah, one reason I was leaning toward this intake was because I planned to go carb to start with. I already have one I think will work well and it would let me get the engine in the car and running easier. Down the road I'd have any number of ways to go injected, whether with a TBI or the hood and throttle body that Indy shows on the setup or whatever. I had a hard time believing a modular intake like this was cheaper than about anything else out there. Mopar wants like $800 for theirs and XV has theirs around $500 I think. Just seems silly to go with something else for a carb style setup.
> I haven't been able to find it under $500. I went with eddy-dual quad for $354. ateam.:read2:

Yeah, I saw that dual quad setup. The prices on these parts still just baffle me. A dual quad for cheaper than a single, a modular cheaper than a single, two different single quads for wildly different prices, etc. Indy sells the intake with your choice of one top plate for $400 on their catalogue, haven't really even seen it anywhere else, but I haven't looked too hard. I was surprised it was even that low. They have some package deals too, and if you buy piecemeal it looks like it can get pretty expensive fast. I thought about that dual quad setup for the price tag, but I'd have to pick up another carb, so it would cost me more in the long run.

who, except Indy themselfes, is selling this intake? I tried to contact them by e-mail but it seems their inbox is full or the address invalid..... :-(

Mancini Racing sells them. Not sure who else. Despite what the email you got back says, your message was probably still forwarded to [email protected] . I have sent several emails, with one reply saying that they got my message, and even posted on Indy's FaceBook page with a question on the intake and a link to this thread.....Only to be ignored. :angry7: It guess if you think you want thier products you should not ask questions and just buy it. :usa2:

-
Back