MRL Performance 340, WOW!

-
When you bringing it up to Bellacino's?

Paul

Maybe next week. Didn't come out today because the exhaust gaskets hadn't come in yet (the exhaust leak was embarrassing and I had it apart), and I put like a whole 5 miles on it so far....plus the weather was sketchy.

What was the lobe separation on this hyd roller cam?

My apologies if it's already been stated. I searched but couldn't find it.

Come on now, I can not give you all my secrets. Some things just have to stay in my shop.

I am proud of this engine, its a real sleeper. I have seen many 340's making this much power, and more, but not as smooth and unassuming as this one.

Plus you have to look at it this way on price. I have to pay bills and put food on the table just like the rest of you. This is my households only income. I really dont make much $$$ doing this, but it makes me happy and it makes my customers happy. I have been told many many MANY times that I have mad their dreams come true. Thats what its all about. Ill never have the money i had when I worked for Chrysler, but that rat race was going to kill me. And for what, Money? It certainly wasnt for the Love of a dead company. Chrysler Died in 1998, the POS company you see now is just a facade of what used to be. I held out till 2009, that was enough for me.

Now I work for the BEST people in the world, YOU the Mopar Loving Gear Heads.

That kind of torque and HP out of a 340!!!! a not stroked 340!!!! I'd of gladly paid that for that kind of motor. Actually that's a hell of a deal and I'd say I'm not the only one that sees that. Granted not everyone has that kind of cash.. ( cough cough small loan for mine) LOL. You remind me of my engine builder. Had it on the dyno once, wasn't happy with numbers, took it off. Finished another engine and ran it, Then put mine back on it and got better numbers, switched to an 6.1 MSD box. Sound like your an old school builder like larry. : )

That kind of torque and HP out of a 340!!!! a not stroked 340!!!! I'd of gladly paid that for that kind of motor. Actually that's a hell of a deal and I'd say I'm not the only one that sees that. Granted not everyone has that kind of cash.. ( cough cough small loan for mine) LOL. You remind me of my engine builder. Had it on the dyno once, wasn't happy with numbers, took it off. Finished another engine and ran it, Then put mine back on it and got better numbers, switched to an 6.1 MSD box. Sound like your an old school builder like larry. : )

You probably had it on the wrong dyno...

It doesn't seem like you've had a lot of seat time with this engine but so far are you happy with it?

It doesn't seem like you've had a lot of seat time with this engine but so far are you happy with it?

Yes, I am very happy with it. I have about 2k miles on it. I'm looking to go FI with it to make it have a little better driveability (carb is a bit big and it's a little bit cold blooded to be honest).

The engine runs amazing so long as the water temp is over 160, and the carb warms up if it's a little cold out.

I would not expect, given the air cleaner, power steering pump, chassis headers, and a full real exhaust, that it will run anywhere near the performance numbers in the chassis. Which is ok - as long as you know that going to the track, or going to the chassis dyno.

Yes, I am very happy with it. I have about 2k miles on it. I'm looking to go FI with it to make it have a little better driveability (carb is a bit big and it's a little bit cold blooded to be honest).

What kind of gas mileage you getting , I noticed a 2 mpg drop when I changed over to a Holley from the stock Carter AVS .
The Air gap takes a while to warm up when it's under 40 degrees out , once warmed up it runs well . What FI unit you thinking of getting ? I've been thinking about FI as well , just not sure which to get .

What kind of gas mileage you getting , I noticed a 2 mpg drop when I changed over to a Holley from the stock Carter AVS .
The Air gap takes a while to warm up when it's under 40 degrees out , once warmed up it runs well . What FI unit you thinking of getting ? I've been thinking about FI as well , just not sure which to get .

In short trip city driving I'm getting between 12.5 and 13.5. I ran a longer trip to work and back on one of the tanks and it was about 14.5. I've had 3 different engines in the car and they all got about this mileage. This one is a lot more fun. I don't have the vacuum advance hooked up or anything. I'm thinking with better fuel control the MPG will go way up.

I'm looking to do full sequential spark and individual coils - so Megasquirt 3X or Megasquirt 3 pro, GM LSX coils, Edelbrock Super Victor EFI manifold, etc. It's probably going to cost about $3500 to do this (less after selling the intake, carb, etc) but I have full control and the best of everything for spark and fuel that you can install on an engine like this. The fuel system,some of the programming (autotune feature on Tunerstudio will get most of it fixed), and mounting the crank pickup wheel will really be the tough parts. The cam sensor is just a 92+ Magnum distributor so that's a drop in.

Also - this is a vid of it in the car:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxQkNYRDAD8"]1970 Duster 340 5-70 pull - YouTube[/ame]

I second that--No possible way 400hp is going to run 10's-give me some of what your smoking Jerry--

No offense, but a 470HP 340.......I don't see the big deal. 10's ain't gonna happen fersure.
Beautiful car, though!

No offense, but a 470HP 340.......I don't see the big deal. 10's ain't gonna happen fersure.
Beautiful car, though!

It makes 470 and is super streetable...this thing absolutely does not sound like a race car, or act like one.

I know it's not anywhere near a 10 second car.

-
Back