MRL Performance 340, WOW!

-
Great job, excessive cost though.
????????? I guess I really don't see that at all. For what he is getting , 9 G's is more than fair. You can move the peak numbers up for the same money ( Just change the cam ), but would lose some of the driveability. And that compression probably doesn't want a ton more cam anyway.
I think those are very nice numbers and it will be a regular Clark Kent until the right foot is properly weighted.

Really , or can you do it with the old time type cam , or is roller cam necessary ? I'd like to see 150 more HP and keep my power brakes , without going to a roller cam .
Is it possible ? Streetable , power brakes 550 hp my dream 340 .
If only you weren't 1000 miles from here .
590 h.p , with power brakes and no roller ? Mild big block , ya reckon ?
You don't want much from your small blocks , do you. :D
The distance is nothing , it's the duties when the stuff crosses the border that you need to fear. Shipping for quality is never a problem.

I have shipped engines from Main to California and Washington to Florida. I also have engines in Aussie and a few in Europe. But Not Canada, yet. So lets Do IT!

That is one stout 340 making 1.31 ft/lb/ci. Nice build and a reasonable price--Heck I am willing to unload my Eagle cranked,W2 T&D rockered 367 that make a lot more power for a little less than that! J.Rob

590 h.p , with power brakes and no roller ? Mild big block , ya reckon ?
You don't want much from your small blocks , do you. :D
The distance is nothing , it's the duties when the stuff crosses the border that you need to fear. Shipping for quality is never a problem.
Right duties and or taxes , plus if , a big if there is a problem there is a 1000 mile between the problem and solution , that's the biggest problem . MRL builds some great engines , just wish it were a little closer .
Maybe one day .

Come on now, I can not give you all my secrets. Some things just have to stay in my shop.

Yup. I anticipated that response and totally understand. I'm also fairly sure there's the biggest "secret" or I wouldn't have asked...lol. There's a LOT of power to be found in a mopar by addressing ring design, setup, and wall finish. Especially given the tall compression height pistons the factory displacements have.
With you chosing not to share I'm with the "put it in a car and run it down the track" guys because it's not really difficult to make a lot of power on a dyno. Put it in a chassis and lets see how she goes.

There are a lot of dyno shops that "fudge" numbers. My dyno guy is third party and does things by the book. His dyno get calibrated once a week. Engines will always make more power on a dyno, but my race engines have proven to me they are making the right power. 3 of my race engines this year are points leaders so far with 7 wins total and nothing less than second place. Rock solid performers.

On the rings, my rings seat on the first dyno pull. It used to be it took 3-4 pulls to seat rings, and that was a bit of a pain. It took longer to get the tune but not any more.

Nice Job..!

.043's and 600 with a brush for me;)

9.7: comp 1 340 stock crank and bored .040 making 470 hp , I need to here more about the work on these rpm heads especially if you are talking no nitrous, no turbo, no supercharger, no blowers nothing but a , .040 stock crank ,with rpm heads and a rpm air gap intake with a 750 carb send me a cost and I will pull my motor back from the machine shop it is at if its under 5,500.00 for the long block to make 470 hp from my 69 340in my cuda

Wow! Mike, I may need to talk to you about a head and cam package for my 340. Currently running ported J heads & a MP 280/.474" cam. Cam has what I like to call a high "impression ratio", but I think the sound is better than the actual performance.

Seems like a good deal to me. Anyone who's ever been in a hot 340 knows There's something unique and special about their power delivery that feels VERY DIFFERENT to a stroker.

Seems like a good deal to me. Anyone who's ever been in a hot 340 knows There's something unique and special about seeing a 416 stroker power that drives right past the 340 that is trying to wind up to make power..

I fixed it for you...lol

Seems like a good deal to me. Anyone who's ever been in a hot 340 knows There's something unique and special about their power delivery that feels VERY DIFFERENT to a stroker.

Nowhere near the power of today's engines, but in the early 70's, this 340 below went 12.70's shifting at 7k on the street with 5.13 gears, and I can tell you it's one of the most fun rides I was ever in.............

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 953

yes a shortstroke engine turning more rpm usualy has a happier and smother sound to it compared to a longerstroke bigger engine that makes about the same power,however bigger enginest usualy makes more power.

Ahhhh, E body, miss mine. I just got the under dash harrnass for it.

Nowhere near the power of today's engines, but in the early 70's, this 340 below went 12.70's shifting at 7k on the street with 5.13 gears, and I can tell you it's one of the most fun rides I was ever in.............
Now that is nice , and fast . 5.13 gears what were you revving when you crossed the line ? 12.7 is pretty fast , 7 k must have been a well built 340 .

Yup. I anticipated that response and totally understand. I'm also fairly sure there's the biggest "secret" or I wouldn't have asked...lol. There's a LOT of power to be found in a mopar by addressing ring design, setup, and wall finish. Especially given the tall compression height pistons the factory displacements have.
With you chosing not to share I'm with the "put it in a car and run it down the track" guys because it's not really difficult to make a lot of power on a dyno. Put it in a chassis and lets see how she goes.

Then there is the question of durability. I like power but not if I have to constantly be tearing a motor apart to restore said power. Same for having to chase the valves all the time from a powerful but thin seat job. To me the compromise is for durability over power.

And as for the 340 vs 416 arguement - my 340 had stock heads and was probably stock except for the cam and rockers. I saw 7000 in it many times. It would run 8.40's in the 1/8th but could be hot lapped all day long. Dropped in the stroker and it went 7.20 on the same converter and now overstressed tranny. Stroker also sees 7000 but that is way past peak power. I am sure a 340 can be made to run, but the long arm is where it's at IMO for a SB.

Now that is nice , and fast . 5.13 gears what were you revving when you crossed the line ? 12.7 is pretty fast , 7 k must have been a well built 340 .

Jerry, that car belonged to my next door neighbor, friend, and first Mopar mentor. I met him at 11yrs old. I'd takin a shine to muscle cars several years earlier, mainly thru magazine subscriptions. My favorites were the 69' Mach I and the 69' Charger. I had convinced myself that the Mopar 440 was the baddest engine on the planet. Then at 11, (1970) I moved next to a real living breathing muscle car that I could see, touch, feel and hear. I was in absolute heaven. I wormed my way into his confidence by polishing the rims on his American's. He convinced me that I did them much better then he did. I think all he really did was find a sucker...lol.

As far as the car. He bought in new, and when I met him the heads were out for some work. It already had the fenderwell headers, Eddy Tarantula int, 750DP & a very large hyd cam along with 273 rockers. That was in front of a 3500/4000ish converter (observed) and 5.13's that had just replaced a broken 4.57 chunk, and soft compound M&H belted tires. Oh yea, it went 107/108 in the qtr.

He only drove it a handful of times a year and raced it about the same. But it was always like a event whenever he decided to go out. That car had amazing hook. Haze 4 or 5 feet and gone. Very few big blocks at the time could run with it on the few late night street encounters. One reason he stopped taking it out much was because everyone always wanted a piece of him, including the cops....lol. I was only in that car 5 or 6 times over the years and always got a kick out of it. That car made me a "340" fan forever.

Sorry to hijack & sorry to be so long. I have to go rest my typing finger now. :mrgreen:

I love these old time stories. This kind of storey has been told over and over and is what got most of us into the Car Craze. For me it was my dads Nova, GTO's, an Le Mans, my uncles Chevy 2's, and Mustangs, and a few of my buddies in High School with their Bad *** Road Runners and Dusters.

What hooked me was my high-school friend's 69 396 Camaro. It was a riot and I never drove it. I had fun in most of my cars but the top 3 - '71 Newport 4dr, 383/727, 74 Barracuda 340/4sp, '70 Cuda 440+6/727.

-
Back