My 1970 Duster 340 FM3 project

-

challengergary

Reaction score
After years of being classic Moparless, a friend of mine made me an offer I could not refuse so I am about to embark on a restoration of this 1970 Duster 340 4-speed car. It is all numbers matching. has fender tag and 2 broadcast sheets. I am going to need a LOT of patience and plan on making this car back into what it once was - a super nice, rare, and fun ride! The only real modification I am planning on is adding air conditioning - because I am in south Florida and cannot live without it LOL

I will keep you guys posted on my progress and will certainly need some help sourcing certain things.

20210107_161023.jpg

20210107_161111.jpg

20210107_161140.jpg

FM3 Duster Broadcast Sheet.jpg

Looks like most of it is there. Should be a nice ride when done. You won't need A/C, open those big old fresh air vents and that four barrel! Have fun :)

Decoded the Broadcast sheet - Came with 3.91 sure grip, Rallye Wheels, Rallye Dash, manual steering, manual front disc brakes with rear drums, AM radio, front sway bar, heavy duty suspension, maximum cooling, deluxe black vinyl bench seat, and black side & tail stripes. 37 amp alternator, 18" 7-blade fan and no other options to speak of

Adding factory AC would require changing the firewall. On a matching numbers, rare color car like that.....I would just go with an aftermarket system to avoid hacking the firewall. You will get better air conditioning, and all of the hoses for both heat and AC go thru an adapter plate that bolts in where the factory fan motor used to be. If for some reason he ever decided to sell the car, a new owner could easily remove the aftermarket AC and put the heater box back in if he/she was :realcrazy: enough to not want AC.

Nice, get her inside and tear her down to the last bolt while taking pictures of EVERY assembly. Bag and tag... you'll never remember where everything belongs.

Are you going to try for a Factory AC unit? I would if I were you.

No, I am going to go with Vintage Air or something similar. Modern compressors use less power and the evaporators actually work better as well. Plus, the lines feed usually through a bulkhead placed where the factory blower motor goes so no firewall modifications are needed. Also, if I decide, I can also use a low mount compressor that is virtually hidden from view so that the engine will look closer to stock.

You indeed have a cool car to restore. Looking forward to the progress!

-
Back