my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
Very cool using common tools as a guide. Great ingenuity.

The man with the biggest screwdriver wins!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

And let me add a "That's what she said"... :glasses7:

LOL! :D

That is a good trick... :toothy1:

Also, to those that are wondering why on the intake side of the port entrance, why I suggested just a straight file between the two intake ports to smooth the casting at the entrance and recommended not thinning down that wall is simple. I like a good surface to be sure of no gasket leaks.

...i have seen some stock heads with really not much between those intake ports.I wonder how much it would matter if there was some leaking there.Wouldn't the majority still be coming from it's own port?

I like how you make a point to keep strength in the head.
Most advice comes from the racing world were durability isn't a huge concern.

ir3333 - never is a leaking gasket a good thing.... I like to put a thin, really really thin amount of Indian Head around the intake ports when I assemble.

finished my porting..... about 9 hours. Took some time to try to get them as equal as I could. I'll post pictures when I get them all cleaned up.

The bill so far is:
60.00 - intake
23.00 - porting

P.S. - MrJLR, lol...... like the enthusiasm! :cheers:

Might not hurt to post the diameters of the sockets and the screw driver handle... I know the sockets are standard sizes, but that can vary depending on who manufactured the socket etc.... Interested to see how she turns out, these little guys are really handy for final polishing on the old dremel.

Attachments

• Dremel buffs.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,282
finished my porting..... about 9 hours. Took some time to try to get them as equal as I could. I'll post pictures when I get them all cleaned up.

The bill so far is:
60.00 - intake
23.00 - porting

P.S. - MrJLR, lol...... like the enthusiasm! :cheers:

I just put my dash harness in...by the way - yea!!!!!!!!!
So I'm making connections, then the dash and steering column. ....
I'm ready to start some FREE porting work.
I have all the tools already. Heads are on the bench.

Might not hurt to post the diameters of the sockets and the screw driver handle... I know the sockets are standard sizes, but that can vary depending on who manufactured the socket etc.... Interested to see how she turns out, these little guys are really handy for final polishing on the old dremel.

Yes, could you post the O.D. on the sockets and screw driver?

:burnout:

O.D. on the sockets

The size of the sockets depends on size of the valve. General standards for a good flowing port, you want an opening just above the valve equal to ~85-88% of valve size.

The size of the sockets depends on size of the valve. General standards for a good flowing port, you want an opening just above the valve equal to ~85-88% of valve size.

Ok....I can measure and do math....thanks!
I'll post some numbers. ......

Jeff

using common tools as a guide. QUOTE]

Guys,
RRR hit it on the head (no pun intended) when he used the word "Guide". The socket and screwdriver are there for you to measure progress (it does get exciting), and as a reference from one port to the other. I almost always have to go back and touch up a port or two when I think I'm done. This is where the reference is important. I've even used a small socket and passed it through the ports instead of the screwdriver. But the screwdriver helps with "straight through design" on the exhaust (and exhaust only), plus the handle works to size the port as well.

so? what exactly is your $ limit for a 'hopped up' 318.

Yup,even works on big block heads.Just bigger screwdriver and sockets.

:cheers:

Got the heads cleaned up. After soaking them with a little engine degreaser and a shot of brake cleaner, I took them to the car wash. It's only about 8 minutes, but man is it messy. Water soaking sponge is what I was.... lol ! Got to get in all the ports multiple times both ways, water jackets, oil passages, etc. etc. Even though I used a vacuum cleaner, I take no chances. I will blow threw the ports, jackets and such with compressed air before assembly.

I'm going to try to post a video of the heads.... So here she goes....... :sign3:

Good scrubbing with hot water and dawn usually helps clean up the grinding grit.

^^^^ I've never tried that, but hey, whatever works. I personally like the pressure blasting through, also removes 40 years of gunk gunk gunk.....

Takes forever to upload on youtube, then I can transfer to here.... Just like evernite explained to me in his PM.... :)

Went to the car wash, and got them all cleaned up. Sorry, I should have blown my nose before filming..... LOL. :D

In the video, when I said "fully ported", I meant "completed". I also failed to mention that I used a wire wheel on a drill to clean the gasket surfaces before I took them to the car wash.

-
Back