Need Help! 273 V-8 resurrection

-

nraimey45

66Abody
Reaction score
I'm looking for some help. I have 2, 273 engine short blocks here from my Dads old '66 Canadian Valiant (same as the American Dodge Dart). They haven't run since '76 and are not in the best of shape. The cylinders are pretty rusted. The only thing in the blocks are the cams. Not sure how I'll get them out yet, but thats something to do later. I'm trying to figure out which one he had in the car. He's had it since '66, second owner. He said it had the Commando 273 in it.
The only differences I can see is that one has a 4 bolt motor mount, and a seating pin on both ends of the block that fit into the holes of the 4 barrell boat anchor intake he gave me. The number on the side of that one is 2806030-273-2. I does have the date on the other side 4-7-67? Not sure how that can be.
The other block has a 3 bolt motor mount on it and the number 2465330-1 and date of 7-15-64.
If they are build dates, neither would be the one. Thought someone could help me identify which one was the commando. He has the dome pistons, black valve covers from it.
Anyway, thanks for your time

It does not really matter, but I'd say that the "67" block would be the Commando. The Commando engine did not become available until 1965. Not saying for sure, but I think it is unlikely for a 7-15-64 block to be a 65. When was the model year change back then?

Typically the new models came out in mid to late September. The 67 model year was the last for the 273 4 bbl.

Without taking the engine down further, the easiest way to see which, if either, is a Commando is to measure the cam lobes and compare to specs. The other thing to do is use a borescope down a spark plug hole to see the top of the piston. Flat top= no Commando; domed top = Commando. If either engine has hydraulic lifters, it is not a Commando.

nraimey45!

The production of the 1964 stopped in the first week of July and the plant did the job to change the tools and stuff for the next three weeks. So a casting on the block 7-14 should be one of the first 65 engines. I had a Dart produced in August 15 which was the first of the cars being sold as export cars and that 273 was cast 7-18. The 65s were showed up for the public on September 25, 1965.

Another reason for this is that the engine line didn't change any tools. They just kept producing engines and just changed the date and month.

Hope this help you out.

Take both those blocks and use for boat anchors! Get a new 318 motor and put black wrinkle valve covers on it. Paint block red like 273. You will get more Horsepower and have less problems than with old 273 w solid lifters. Unless this is a totally original resotoration (sounds like it is not) why bother with old 273 in poor condition? JMO
IT WILL LOOK LIKE 273 MOST WILL NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

nraimey45!

The production of the 1964 stopped in the first week of July and the plant did the job to change the tools and stuff for the next three weeks. So a casting on the block 7-14 should be one of the first 65 engines. I had a Dart produced in August 15 which was the first of the cars being sold as export cars and that 273 was cast 7-18. The 65s were showed up for the public on September 25, 1965.

Another reason for this is that the engine line didn't change any tools. They just kept producing engines and just changed the date and month.

Hope this help you out.

Thanks dartcharger. Wow, thats a lot of info. It does help. Without the heads on the motor, it's hard to tell the compression ratio. They'll need to be sent to the shop anyway and be touched up.
As far as using them for boat anchors, I'll pass. Although it's not an all original build, I'd like to keep it as close as I can. The body isn't that heavy, so the HP the Commando will put out will be more than enough.
I talked to a guy at the Mopar Show in Bridgewater the other day that used to cruise with my dad in this car. He said the front tires would lift right off the ground when Dad stood on it.
That's seems like a lot of power, from a boat anchor...

Take both those blocks and use for boat anchors! Get a new 318 motor and put black wrinkle valve covers on it. Paint block red like 273. You will get more Horsepower and have less problems than with old 273 w solid lifters. Unless this is a totally original resotoration (sounds like it is not) why bother with old 273 in poor condition? JMO
IT WILL LOOK LIKE 273 MOST WILL NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

Why do people feel the need to post this stuff? Did he ask, what would make more power? People who have had a 273 love them. That should tell you something. A 273 will make enough power to smoke tires and still get good gas milage. When I pared down my collection I kept all the 273's and 340's and nothing else. Are you correct about a 318? Yes, but I never felt the 273 was underpowered, so why bother. I've never had a problem with 273's or solid lifters and I've been running them hard for over 30 years. As a mater of fact I still have the first one I rebuilt all those years ago with a couple hundred thousand miles on it.

Why do people feel the need to post this stuff? Did he ask, what would make more power? People who have had a 273 love them. That should tell you something. A 273 will make enough power to smoke tires and still get good gas milage. When I pared down my collection I kept all the 273's and 340's and nothing else. Are you correct about a 318? Yes, but I never felt the 273 was underpowered, so why bother. I've never had a problem with 273's or solid lifters and I've been running them hard for over 30 years. As a mater of fact I still have the first one I rebuilt all those years ago with a couple hundred thousand miles on it.

Thanks you. I couldn't have said it better.

Lemme say this.I actually drove a 66 dodge D-dart.It had a super steep geared 8 3/4.a console 4 speed,and that car would haul ***. It wasnt big on the top end but getting there was fun and fast.I actually passed on the car for the princely sum of $100.Sheiot.

I love my little rev monster 273 Commando and if I ever do drop a 340 or a 360 into the car I will keep it on a stand in my garage. It's a tough little motor and a piece of history. Sounds good too!

I would never trade out a 273 for a 318. I just love the fast, tight rapping little things. Solid lifters a problem? I've got one I built in 1972 that has had the lifters adjusted exactly twice. When I built it and then again after a brief break in period. Never touched 'em again.
Build the engine YOU like.

Ditto that! I know I had to spend more $ on my 273 rebuild than just dropping in a 318, but it was important to me to keep my car period correct. I also agree that these little guys will turn out plenty of power for a cruiser car. Just my $0.02

I am trying to keep it as close as I can, with the addition of some little things here and there. My Dad still has the original pistons that were in the motor. And no, I'd never think of re-using them, but I might try n gear up a fuel fill cap from the dome of one... I'll find a way to incorporate it into the car some how.
Still along way from that stage now anyway. Still trying to figure out how to get a floor down here... Originally thought '67-72 floor would fit, but as one member informed me, it's too wide, so I'll keep looking. No rush anyway.
Thanks for the positive notes! Glad to see others are pasionate about the lil 273 as I am..
Cheers

__/ \__
....Turn n burn.. LOL ~~~ -O---O-

The 2nd generation A-body floor pan is wider but it's easy enough to trim, especially if you are replacing it with sections made for 2nd gen.
Now about the 273.... That engine was built for real leaded gasoline. Unleaded fuel has not been kind to it. You may find the valves recessed into the heads and the edges of the valves worn razor sharp. The 318 replaced the 273 in 1968. Seems american makers were playing a c.i.d. game We had a 273 Ford has 289, GM had 283. Then came 318, 302, 350, and so on.
A 73 up 318 was designed for unleaded fuel and will cost less to rebuild. All of those cosmetic goodies that make it look like a 273 Commando will bolt on too.
I've got 1 standard 273 2brl, 1 67 273 Commando, and one 68 steel crank 318 here and they all run decent with minimul oil consumption. I wouldn't spend my coins to rebuild any of them. My money is better spent on a later edition core, preferably a 85 lean burn 318. Different stokes for different folks. Good luck with yours

I'm looking for some help. I have 2, 273 engine short blocks here from my Dads old '66 Canadian Valiant (same as the American Dodge Dart). They haven't run since '76 and are not in the best of shape. The cylinders are pretty rusted. The only thing in the blocks are the cams. Not sure how I'll get them out yet, but thats something to do later. I'm trying to figure out which one he had in the car. He's had it since '66, second owner. He said it had the Commando 273 in it.
The only differences I can see is that one has a 4 bolt motor mount, and a seating pin on both ends of the block that fit into the holes of the 4 barrell boat anchor intake he gave me. The number on the side of that one is 2806030-273-2. I does have the date on the other side 4-7-67? Not sure how that can be.
The other block has a 3 bolt motor mount on it and the number 2465330-1 and date of 7-15-64.
If they are build dates, neither would be the one. Thought someone could help me identify which one was the commando. He has the dome pistons, black valve covers from it.
Anyway, thanks for your time

The most accurate way I have found I learned from cosig here. The drivers side front of the block will be stamped just below the head. A-273 and a date A=65 B=66 and so on.

-
Back