Need Some Advise

-

Moparguy45

Reaction score
Im looking to buy my first early a body and i have found a 65 barracuda and just wondering if you guys could let me know to snatch it up or run away. The car is gold with a painted black stripe and it has a gold interior. the current owner thinks its original or maybe repainted the same color years ago. the car came with a 273 and a 4 speed but according to the owner they were replaced with a 68 dart 340 4 speed combo. it had factory air and has everything to make it work again. not sure if it is a formula s. the owner said he has most of its documentation and never said anything about being a formula.
65Cuda5.jpg

65Cuda6.jpg

65cuda9.jpg

65cuda7.jpg

65cuda12.jpg

65cuda1.jpg

65cuda3.jpg

It looks to be in pretty good shape...as far as what it's worth? It's really hard to say... I guess it's worth whatever you're willing to give 'em for it. Some people think I payed a little too much for my Dart, but I had been looking for a solid convertible for awhile and it was in far better shape than I had hoped for, so I actually would have given a little more. Hang out awhile and I'm sure some others here will give you an idea of what they're worth...

Probly not a formula but a very nice cruiser for sure. I would think its not a bad price for the car, but here in Missouri we always try to dicker. I would buy that car for that price, it looks like it would be a real fun car to drive.

I don't think it's a Formula S car either. If it was, I think it would have Commando V8 emblems, as well as the Formula S emblems it doesn't have. I'd check it out carefully for rust. You mentioned the AC, I also see the heater has been bypassed. It looks like there's some kind of funny reflection over the rear wheel in the first picture. Might just be the pic. I'd be a bit concerned about how the 340 was put in. The stock 273 clutch won't handle a 340 for long. The bigger 10.5" clutch & bell housing might have been swapped in when the motor was changed. Hopefully, when the engine was swapped they also put in a stronger rear axle as the stock 7 1/4" rear will grenade behind a 340 with "spirited" driving. I don't like the panels that have been put in the seats but that's just me. Original style upholstery is available from Legendary.

Check the numbers on the block to be sure it's a 340. If there's no hidden rust issues I'd say the car is worth the price, but I'd offer less. Can't hurt to try. You probably couldn't build the car for any less.

Nice car!I,d check for rust or replacement panels.The 340 4 speed is 1/2 the price of the car!As long as it,s not full of bondo,I,d offer $4750 cash!Cash does funny things to people at these hard times.Good luck with the early A find.Go get it!Have fun!Oh yeah check rear also for bigger than 7 1/4!KAPOW!!

thanks for the advice. i believe that the trans and motor came from the same car so clutch and bellhousing wise i think however they came in 68 thats how they are now. not sure in the rearend but i would be willing the bet since it has the stock tires that it is a stock rearend.

If you can get any kind of look at it, the original 273 bell housing is made of cast iron. A 340 bell housing would be aluminum. The 340 will bolt up to either bell housing. For the axle, look at the back of the center section. If it has a bolt on cover, it's probably the original, but could be an 8 1/4" rear, which would be OK. If it has a round back with no removable cover, you should be in great shape.

That car is AWESOME!!!!! But I would say it is definately NOT A FORMULA S!!! It doesn't have any of the stuff on it to show formula s. And that stripe is not a factory one. All of them that I've seen from the factory are 6" in the middle with a 1" space on each side with a 1" stripe on each side. So someone did that after the fact. I dont know what this person is trying to sell this car for, but I think it is really cool. I actually love it. If it has a 340 than that motor is probably worth at least $1,500 or so depending on what has been done with it. I dont know what it is "worth". What is it worth to you??? If I was able to buy it I would give up at least $3,500- $4,000 on what I know about it so far. It is really hard for me to put a price on a car I cant look at. I would say get it if it a solid car.

I just read all of the other's posts. I would listen to them. Sounds like good advise from '64 cuda. I would check all of that out. If it has a 7 1/4 rear you'll have to replace it no matter what. Unless your going to drive the speed limit with no punching it to the floor. I hate the seat inserts. But thats my opinion.

The car looks to be YY1 Bronze metallic, not gold, but the paint looks pretty good. If it isn't hiding a bucket full of bondo and runs well, it is worth $5500 without a doubt.
The shifter is a '68 unit, and the motor has '68/'69 valve covers on it. Orange is a good sign for a '68 340. Check the motors numbers, and check the rear. If it is a '68 340, then it is probably THE 340 to have. A stock '68 stick motor had a great cam in it. If it has an 8 3/4, all the better.
Yes it is worth the money if it is solid and a good runner with all the mentioned drivetrain.

I hate the seat inserts.

Im sorry but what are seat inserts?

The car could be YY1 im color blind and the guy said it was gold. The engine is stock as far as i the guys knows.

If you can get any kind of look at it, the original 273 bell housing is made of cast iron. A 340 bell housing would be aluminum. The 340 will bolt up to either bell housing. For the axle, look at the back of the center section. If it has a bolt on cover, it's probably the original, but could be an 8 1/4" rear, which would be OK. If it has a round back with no removable cover, you should be in great shape.

i thought the 8 1/4 wasnt available until 72 or 73

What state are you in? If it's a northwest car definitely check under carriage and body panels. It looks really nice to me.The 340 is a great motor. A 4spd helps the value of the car as well. If you ever wanted to do a full resto to stock,selling the 340 would help finance it. Me, I'ld leave it in. It's a unusual color,that may increase value as well. As far as the price I'ld show up with 4500.00 cash and see what happens. If he's had it for sale for a long time than he might be ready to negotiate. Not the most popular of body styles so he may not have that many people interested.I always liked them myself due to how diferent they look. A set of small bolt ralleys would look great on it. Good luck whatever you decide!

Im sorry but what are seat inserts?

The car could be YY1 im color blind and the guy said it was gold. The engine is stock as far as i the guys knows.

i thought the 8 1/4 wasnt available until 72 or 73

Seat inserts are the part of the seat where you sit & your back rests. The seats in the car are stock seats but the inserts have been replaced, probably due to wear. The original pattern was heat sealed "pleats" going across the seats, made from the same material as the rest of the seat covers. Looks similar to what's on the door panels. I'm attaching a pic of a stock 65 interior from a Valiant. The back seat pattern is a little different from a Barracuda, but the front seat pattern is the same.

The 8 1/4" rear wasn't available until 73 (I think) but it is pretty much a bolt in swap & stronger than the 7 1/4". I don't think the 8 3/4" rear was available in A body cars until 1966, but they, too, are a bolt in deal & the strongest stock rear end that was available in the A body (not counting the Dana rear in the 68 Super Stock cars).

65-2.jpg

ok i thought he was saying that they could have come from the factory with a 8 1/4, my mistake. I do like the stock interior more, but are the factory inserts expensive?

There are for sure more than a few signs that its not a formula s eventhough mopars where like burger king back then, you could have it your way. No s stripes, no s emblems, then check for the other popular options for the s like front sway bar. Obviously the best way is to get the vin tag info. Regardless, if the car is clean and all metal then IMO its worth $5,500 easily. I agree, dicker and then bring it home even if he wont budge. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

With those wheel covers it has to be small patterned bolt circle which means either a 7 1/4 or 8 3/4 axle, 8 1/4 would not be possible since they were only made for the larger pattern wheels.

If that car is rust free - buy it - its well worth the price as long as it is a real 340 - runs well and shifts correctly. The seats can reupholstered - do it. But as mentioned above if it doesnt have an 8 3/4 axle - plan on getting one for it. you'll blow a 7 1/4 up in no time.

I'd say offer less than $5K, but don't walk away..... these cars are not getting any cheaper or easier to find. It's a factory V-8, 4 Spd, w/ AC. What more do you want? So what if it's not an S. Plus it seems like a solid car to begin with. Like others have mentioned, crawl under it and check for current or past rust issues, make sure it's a clear, transferable title, and wave money at the guy. Be prepared to drag it home.

And if it does have the 7 1/4 rear, so what.... That's why we have more wrenches and than socks. 8)

Have you bought the car yet?How much?It seems to be a good price and the body looks good!Let us know how you made out?It won,t last long at that price with a 68 340,4 speed!!

ok i thought he was saying that they could have come from the factory with a 8 1/4, my mistake. I do like the stock interior more, but are the factory inserts expensive?

Don't think you can buy just the inserts. I looked at Legendary's website & the price for complete seat upholstery is $284 for the back seat & $310 for the set for the front seat. This doesn't include the upholstered panels that are on the backs of the front seats. They might be OK as is. You might find the upholstery cheaper. Sometimes Legendary has a sale. I bought new upholstery, all four door panels, both panels for the front seat backs, & a new headliner last year when they had a 25% off sale. Quality is excellent.

66dartgt, That was a good call on the wheel covers. :cheers: I should have caught that myself. :angry7: I'm just getting old!

If it does have a 340 in it & rust issues are minor that is a very good price but like others have said still try to work that asking price down. Even if the rear is a 7 1/4 & it still has stock bellhousing with small clutch these parts are easily upgraded. Looks like it has a later model console swapped in though which could be a telltale sign that the later trans. & 340 engine were put in together. Good luck and let us know if you get her.

Oldschoolcuda

My fingers were typing fster than my brain was functioning...I left off the "n't" ...Orange isn't a good color for a '68 340. A '68 340 should be RED. See if you can see the red peeking through anywhere, and if there is a 340 cast into the side of the block.
Also take a peek under the car on the drivers side. If the car has a '66 or earlier 4-speed there will not be a machined ID pad. If there is a machined ID pad with the VIN stamped into it it will most likely be the '68 4-speed as well.
Also both my old '69 Swingers had no paint on the bell housing, just turquoise hosed around the edge. If it is a bare cast aluminum bell, you will have the big flywheel and clutch.

-
Back