needed:: wiring diagram for HEI IGNITION

-
Who's HEI?
For quick reference, I usually hit MSD's website.

HEI. Make sure you get the wires from the distributor to the module correct. Swapped, it either wont work, or acts REALLY wierd. Wire it correctly, though, and it is much better than the Mopar box.

Attachments

• 4-pin_s.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 15,073
  • DSCF0231.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,261
Doh! My bad. I should have read what forum this was in. I apologize big time.

The above diagram is horrid to follow, LOL

I think this one is better, because I drew it, LOL

You are looking down at the top of the module, and the dist. connector is drawn to represent the male and female terminals. Make sure they are correct

Also make sure you hook your IGN1 (dark blue) and IGN2 (brown) together where they used to be on the ballast. In fact, you can just hook everything on the ballast together, leave the original coil + wire connected, and add the HEI as shown

Make SURE it is grounded, and on "some sort" of heat sink. Mine is actually just mounted to a flat area of the firewall.

zu5qn8.jpg

Slant and V-8 are the same wiring. Above are all for the 4-pin HEI module. The 8-pin HEI module is easier and neater, especially if you use the GM coil that connects to it. Many posts. TrailBeast sells a kit of new parts for $99.

does anyone have the complete wiring picture with a GM COIL PLEASE...

NO FRAKIN WAY!
I SELL THE KITS AND YOU WANT KNOW HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF?????

OK HERE :D

I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot here, but I have the best schematics dammit.
Note that the distributor pos wire goes to the N terminal of the module for the 8 pin ECU.
Also note that the 8 pin setup has weatherpack waterproof connectors on it. (Some others don't)
Don't miss where you need a different coil wire for the male terminal coil.

Attachments

• 4Pin.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 5,220
  • 8 pin wiring.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 3,854
Worth mentioning, that in the diagram of the HE18 coil, the two TOP terminals (red) are in reality the SAME TERMINAL

The two bottom---(red) are also the same terminal. In reality, the coil only has three terminals as does any other coil............

hi volt

coil pos

coil neg

Worth mentioning, that in the diagram of the HE18 coil, the two TOP terminals (red) are in reality the SAME TERMINAL

The two bottom---(red) are also the same terminal. In reality, the coil only has three terminals as does any other coil............

hi volt

coil pos

coil neg

Well that made it confusing for most people, but you are right. (the two top ones are 12+ and the two bottom ones are grounds)

Also, as you mentioned there are about 4-5 other designs but the one I showed is the one I use because of the connectors.

Here's one of my kits ready to ship so you have an idea of what you will need as far as connectors and such.

Attachments

• 8pinHEIKit.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,160
I have a coil that has a 3 wire connector on it...trying to figure where I connect the wires from the original harness that would go to the coil.....I appreciate all the help !!

I have a coil that has a 3 wire connector on it...trying to figure where I connect the wires from the original harness that would go to the coil.....I appreciate all the help !!

Is it like this one, only just black?

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 969
Here ya go.

The Ignition Coil on your car or truck may have or may not have 3 wires coming out of it. Whether it does or doesn’t doesn’t matter... the info in this test article still applies. Below are the descriptions of what each circuit does. Each circuit is identified by a letter, and this is the same letter that you will find on the Ignition Coil’s connector.
  1. Circuit labeled A -Pink Wire:
    1. Power (12 V) Circuit.
  2. Circuit labeled B -White Wire:
    1. Tach Signal for the Tachometer in the Instrument Cluster if equipped.
  3. Circuit labeled C -White with Black stripe Wire:
    1. Switching Signal Circuit. This wire (circuit) comes from the Ignition Module.
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/lunaticsociety.php

Attachments

• coilpic.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 1,021
Trailbeast,,forgive me,,but I still don't understand,,,a,b,c come from the coil and go to the module on one side??? where do the wires from the cars harness connect to using this style coil..on the round coil they just connect to the studs I know.. also what do I do about the ballast resistor????

Trailbeast,,forgive me,,but I still don't understand,,,a,b,c come from the coil and go to the module on one side??? where do the wires from the cars harness connect to using this style coil..on the round coil they just connect to the studs I know.. also what do I do about the ballast resistor????

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are in over your head for that ignition system.
I can tellyou that the coil uses three terminals, one 12+, one 12- and one signal or trigger.
The 12+ will come from the ignition circuit, the ground goes to the module and one is the tach connector.
I have never used the model of system you are using, so I don't know what all goes where.
I can tell you that the ballast resistor goes in the trash. :D
Or do what I did with mine and rescue some stock ignition Mopar on the side of the road.

This is why I sell mine pre assembled and ready to wire up with instructions and email support.
A person doesn't have to go through what you are going through.

This is the page I got that last pic from, and I use Google searches to find the pictures and diagrams I need.
Maybe this page
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_icm_test/gm_icm_diagnostic_1.php

Sorry, best I can do.

Actually, TB, if I'm not mistaken, the tach wire and signal wire (to the module) are in effect the same terminal, no? IN other words, electrically, the coil only has 2 primary terminals, + the coil hi v. wire.

Actually, TB, if I'm not mistaken, the tach wire and signal wire (to the module) are in effect the same terminal, no? IN other words, electrically, the coil only has 2 primary terminals, + the coil hi v. wire.

Yes, that should be correct.
One 12+ (ign), one ground (one of the wires on the module), two wires for the pickup signal and a tach lead.
But which is which is the question, and I can't find a diagram anywhere for some reason.
Only a description that I posted.

Maybe you should charge for tech support for the do it yourselfers like me. I have so many of those parts on my parts vehicles I would be foolish to buy a kit.

WAY too many unknowns to be comfortable with that.
I have considered selling the harnesses prewired so people could just plug it into thier own parts though.
I manage support for two businesses as it is.
$100 aint diddly when it comes to these cars and good ignition system, so I will just stick to that for now.
I do all the wiring and testing here before each one ships, so this way I know for a fact it's right and I don't have to guess what might have been done wrong. (or what was bad when they got it)

I don't have a problem helping someone do thier own anyway, and I can get up and walk away from it when I want or need to also. :D

I have multiple things going on at any one time around here, and even when I'm on here with you all I am usually working on another computer for a customer with my left hand.(don't tell them I only use one hand on thier computer but still charge them for two hands) :D

FABO members pay 50 bucks less for one of my kits than anyone else, so I feel I'm already more than doing right for the members that buy them.

I am going to add a product before long hopfully, and that will be HEI units built into Mopar boxes so they look stock in the car, and use the stock harness.

So I will buy dead Mopar boxes and mod them (starting with you all) :)

-
Back