New 5-speed kits for A-bodies

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Saw this in the latest Hemmings Motor News newsletter:

Classic Motorsports Group introduces Elite five-speed kits for A-body Mopar

Classic Motorsports Group has been eliminating the need for guesswork and fabrication by creating complete kits to merge Tremec gearboxes with classic muscle cars for several years now, and recently added the Chrysler A-body to the list of available five-speeds kits. This would cover the Dodge Dart, Demon and Dart Sport, as well as the Plymouth Valiant, Duster, and ’64-’69 Barracuda.

Anyone up for it?
Jerry

Yeah. I wonder how many thousands of dollars that will cost

$3600-$3800 or 900-950 gallons of gas @ $4.00

They quoted me a kit for about $3600. My Duster is an original manual shift car. Keisler does more modifications to the tranny for easier fit. Classic requires cutting the stock crossmember for clearance and does not modify the trans. I've heard of problem shifting into 3rd above 6000 with the Tremec. I'm planning to go with the Richmond Super Street 5 speed.

I was just looking into that setup for the car I'm working on now. I dont mind the cutting. The issues with 3rd gear are mostly driver inexperience with modern trannys acording to the dude at Keisler. Seeing as these ar ethe same ones used in thousands of production cars, I tend to agree with his appraisal. It doesnt seem like a bad deal (the $2900 TKO600) for what you get, although I think I'd do the hydraulic clutch too ($525 more)

Ive Been Talking To Tony At Classic For Months,waiting On This Set Up, Im Surprised I Havent Heard From Him,,they Were Working On A Modified Trans Cross Member Upper Hoop,the Hoop Has To Be Cut Out On The A Body Or At Least Modified,,they Were Working On A Bolt In Or Weld In Unit,,

First Im Hearing Of The Third Gear Problem,altho I Recently Talke Wit H A Guy That Says He Has A Pile Of Tremecs Sitting In The Corner,,that Are Junk,and He Instaled Passion Performance Mopar Style Trannys,,that Was The First I Heard That Tremecs Were Having Problems,,

As Far As Richmond,over Priced Box,pooor Customer Service,

So Im Undecided What To Do,,go Tremec Or Stay With My Mopar Box,
I Already Have The Quick Time Scatter Shield For The Mopar To Ford Tremec Tranny,,,

They had a Midway booth at Spring Fling this year. I will see if they are planning to have one at Fall Fling.

Anyone planning or would plan to attend Fall Fling interested in talking to the Classic guys in person and checking out the product ????

SF08SteveWSat199.JPG

They Told Me They Were Going To Have A Booth At Chyrslers At Carlisle,,,they Were Not Listed In The Roster

They Told Me They Were Going To Have A Booth At Chyrslers At Carlisle,,,they Were Not Listed In The Roster

Gas and expenses were really tough this year on vendors.

Classic is in So Cal. So it's like two hour drive from Fall/Spring Fling.

i hear ya,, but to miss carlisle,,one of if not the biggest mopar event in the country,,not good for busniess,,,i hope they are theere next year,,

I agree the crossmember is nice because you can cut out the original rear crossmember floor tunnel hoop. Thus, allowing no modifications to the tranny case like Keisler does.

clip_image004_0000.jpg

clip_image012_0000.jpg

Still no specific kit for the early-a-body :wack: but I'd be curious to know if that rear crossmember would work with the early a-bodies. As long as the bolts holes match up on the crossmember and the driveline angles are correct I don't see why it wouldn't work. Everything looks very solid and clean.

Much less work than what I had to do with Keisler's bullsh*t setup for the early-a

I agree the crossmember is nice because you can cut out the original rear crossmember floor tunnel hoop. Thus, allowing no modifications to the tranny case like Keisler does.

also with that crossmember it look like the tranny us up more. keissler doesn't liek to admit it but they also have the trans down some for better floor clearance. and that can really screw with your driveline angles.

also with that crossmember it look like the tranny us up more. keissler doesn't liek to admit it but they also have the trans down some for better floor clearance. and that can really screw with your driveline angles.

Looks like you are totally right. I made extra room in the floor tunnel area for the tranny. Then I had to shim the tranny tail shaft up almost 2* so I could get better driveline angles.

On a side note. If you can order the tranny mount from them separately, you could piece meal all the other parts yourself for a cheaper price than ~4K. Finding a good used tko-500 or tko-600 would be the only trick.

That crossmember setup looks like it might work well with a t-56 as well. Or a custom variation of it. That's an idea as well.

YOU CAN GET a NEW TREMEC TKO THRU SUMMIT 1975.00 AND I HAVENT CHECKED BUT I WAS TOLD THRU DARK HORSE PERFORMANCE FOR 1300.00 I SOME HOW THINK THAT IS AN OLDER PRICE,,

DAVE WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PIC OF THE CROSS MEMBER??

AND SORRY IF I MISSED SOME THING,BIG BLOCK BELL HOUSING 500.00
AND SMALL BLOCK 175.00 ?? FROM WHERE,, SEEMS WAY OUT OF BALANCE

I BOUGHT A NEW QUICK TIME SCATTER SHIELD SMALL BLOCK MOPAR TO TREMEC FOR UNDER 400.00 SHIPPED,,

The deluxe kit is looking pretty reasonable for what it is. I may start saving my pennies.

http://www.classicmopar5speed.com/Deluxe-67-76_A-Body_Mopar-Transmission.aspx

If you click on this link. the bell in the top left is a Small block ( optional ) and if you scroll down it says that it is $185. and the only Big block bell i see is the scattersheild for $485.

I don't know much about this set up or anything, I am asuming the a dodge BB bell won't work, and you will have to buy one from them that does work.

Maybe I am missing something.

Phil

YOU CAN GET a NEW TREMEC TKO THRU SUMMIT 1975.00 AND I HAVENT CHECKED BUT I WAS TOLD THRU DARK HORSE PERFORMANCE FOR 1300.00 I SOME HOW THINK THAT IS AN OLDER PRICE,,

DAVE WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PIC OF THE CROSS MEMBER??

AND SORRY IF I MISSED SOME THING,BIG BLOCK BELL HOUSING 500.00
AND SMALL BLOCK 175.00 ?? FROM WHERE,, SEEMS WAY OUT OF BALANCE

I BOUGHT A NEW QUICK TIME SCATTER SHIELD SMALL BLOCK MOPAR TO TREMEC FOR UNDER 400.00 SHIPPED,,

ok i see what your talking about,, they are making there own bell housing for the small block, and it is just a bell housing,,,they dont mention any big block bell housing at all,,

they are selling a scatter shield for the big block,,if this is just a street car,with a little power,, a bell housing will be fine,,some drag strips will NOT let you race a stick shift car with a bell housing some require a scatter shield,,some times it depends on the rules of the drag strip or how fast your car is,,,

if you have no intrest in the scatter shield,,call them ask them if they have or if they are gong to make a bell housing for a big block for this set up,, if not ask them if they can modify your bell housing to accept the tremec,,

the other company doing this use to modify the bell housing if you wanted i think it was 75.00 to do it,,, hope this helps,,

-
Back