NEW BRAKES....DOT 5?

-
Torn down many calipers in my day Rusty, no Dot 5, all Dot 3. That's my point. Dot 3 absorbs moisture from the atmosphere when you check the master and the open bottle. Just trying to wrap my head around things.

Right. DOT3 absorbs moisture. That means it dilutes moisture with brake fluid. DOT5 does not absorb moisture. So, "wherever" moisture is in the system, there it is and will cause rust in that particular place quicker.

I'm not arguing for or against, just stating facts. I imagine, were I to build a brake system from the ground up on something, I might would use DOT5.

Torn down many calipers in my day Rusty, no Dot 5, all Dot 3. That's my point. Dot 3 absorbs moisture from the atmosphere when you check the master and the open bottle. Just trying to wrap my head around things.

...and you've never seen rust in a caliper or wheel cylinder? I find that difficult to get "my" head around.

So anyone that has spilled DOT 3(me included) is a slob? Gimme a break...water soluble....dunno bout that either but I can sure as **** tell you the f**kin stuff peels paint. THAT right there is enough to swap over if you are so inclined.
Somebody's grumpy cuz his points are moot? Vented? You show me, you learn me.
Well, I'm not really arguing anything, really. Just giving an opinion. That's still allowed, as of now. There's no NEED for DOT5 in our cars. That cannot be argued. All they NEED is DOT3.

I'm not a slob, so I don't get brake fluid everywhere and if an accident does happen, it's water soluble, so it hoses right off.

Never made any comments about getting DOT3 and 5 mixed. Only that DOT5 does not absorb moisture AND that there is always "some moisture" in the system. Those points are true.

So, what is your argument?

So anyone that has spilled DOT 3(me included) is a slob? Gimme a break...water soluble....dunno bout that either but I can sure as **** tell you the f**kin stuff peels paint. THAT right there is enough to swap over if you are so inclined.
Somebody's grumpy cuz his points are moot? Vented? You show me, you learn me.

Your

No dummy. I just meant I was really careful. I was talkin about ME, not anybody else.

Whatever.... go back and read what you put down...."I'm not a slob"
Read the OP's initial question while yer at it Mr Eye Roller lol
As they say....drive on through
Hi Folks

I've been mulling over the Dot 5 posts. Here are the details.........

1971 Demon with original K/H brakes on the front and 10 inch drums on the back. I will be re-building my ORIGINAL master, proportioning valve, calipers, and wheel cylinders. All brand new lines and hoses. Not a drop of original brake fluid anywhere.

Question.....Will all of the original equipment work as designed if I use Dot 5?

Thanks

No dummy. I just meant I was really careful. I was talkin about ME, not anybody else.

Whatever.... go back and read what you put down...."I'm not a slob"
Read the OP's initial question while yer at it Mr Eye Roller lol
As they say....drive on through

Oh for ****'s sake Steve.

I agree, right back at ya.... read the OP's question. Someone disagrees with you and you get all butthurt lol.

Nobody's butthurt. I was only trying to add to the conversation is all.

...and you've never seen rust in a caliper or wheel cylinder? I find that difficult to get "my" head around.
LOL......Never said that. The Rusty calipers and wheel cylinders that I have seen were all from Dot 3 systems. I have never seen any components from a Dot 5 system to compare. I guess where this all started, I read an article that said said the K/H calipers were less prone to problems if using silicone based brake fluid. I wasn't sure of the validity of the article that's why I am asking for opinions.

LOL......Never said that. The Rusty calipers and wheel cylinders that I have seen were all from Dot 3 systems. I have never seen any components from a Dot 5 system to compare. I guess where this all started, I read an article that said said the K/H calipers were less prone to problems if using silicone based brake fluid. I wasn't sure of the validity of the article that's why I am asking for opinions.

That's a fair assessment, I believe. My point was, that there's disadvantages to both style fluids. Normally, parts stores keep a lot more DOT3 in stock. I know at the O'Reilly where I worked, we only kept ONE small bottle of DOT5 on the shelf. Stupid, but that's corporate America.

That's the question I was going to ask. Has anyone pulled apart any Dot 5 systems that had rusty innerds? I only had experience with a few that had no problems, but, they were fairly fresh systems, not with 10+ years of use. I've pulled 100's of Dot3/4 systems apart that had leaks and rust though. I don't see how Dot5 could be worse, but, like I said, who has?

Yes. I've seen some. BMWs and Corvettes that used DOT5 and were neglected. Any type fluid will get rust buildup if not changed and flushed for a long time.

I don't remember anybody saying DOT5 was "worse". Just different.

I think the "worse" was implied rather than state when it was mentioned that Dot 5 doesn't absorb water and therefor would allow water to rust any iron components. Whether it does that and causes rust, or, in using Dot3/4 which does absorb water and causes rust, seems to me as a distinction without a difference and with the same result. I agree, in that respect, they're just different. The benefit of the Dot 5, IIRC, is the boil temp rating and that it won't harm paint. The drawback is the extra cost and maybe a lack of supply in some places.

6 years with DOT 5 and my MC is still shiny black.

Just a tad bit lower pedal/more travel and a tad bit more pressure required.

Happy with the switch.

I just checked out post #9. It makes me want to use Dot5 all the more

Screenshot_20210328-060221_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210328-060246_Samsung Internet.jpg

been running DOT 5 in our dart for close to 10 years now.. no issues.. rusty is correct that it does not absorb moisture.. this usually means that the moisture will collect at the ends (wheel cyl and calipers) if that worries you too much just bleed them in the spring and fall and it will push that **** out. me i haven't blead them in close to 10 years and the brakes feel the same today as the day i installed them using the same calipers and wheel cyls..

been running DOT 5 in our dart for close to 10 years now.. no issues.. rusty is correct that it does not absorb moisture.. this usually means that the moisture will collect at the ends (wheel cyl and calipers) if that worries you too much just bleed them in the spring and fall and it will push that **** out. me i haven't blead them in close to 10 years and the brakes feel the same today as the day i installed them using the same calipers and wheel cyls..

Right. Most all problems in the braking system are because of neglect, not the type fluid used. Any fluid will break down over time from contamination. All I was doing was trying to advise on the differences between the two fluids.

-
Back