New Pitman Arm Help Please

-

Karl Nicholson

Reaction score
Hi guys, I installed a new pitman arm purchased from Rock Auto. Seems the same as the one removed however I can't seem to tighten enough on the steering box to show any tread at the bottom of the stud. I don't want to damange the splines or overtighten, just wondering if anyone has run into this issue and what the solution is?
It's on my dad's 65 Barracuda.

Buy another pitman arm in person at NAPA . Never bought one thing from rock auto that fit the first time. Bought a tie rod once and I went to turn the nut just a little more to get the cotter pin in and the threads snapped off. I find now all the parts I order on line are junk. The best way to buy parts are cash and carry at your local supplier and take your old one with you.

Buy another pitman arm in person at NAPA . Never bought one thing from rock auto that fit the first time. Bought a tie rod once and I went to turn the nut just a little more to get the cotter pin in and the threads snapped off. I find now all the parts I order on line are junk. The best way to buy parts are cash and carry at your local supplier and take your old one with you.

I have to agree^^^^^^

Think of what you're working on. Just stop, back away and THINK. Do you want the cheapest **** you can find on the steering on your dad's car? Steering in a car is like a wing to an airplane. If something goes wrong, BAD things happen. While that may be a decent replacement part, you've already found something that differs from the original.

I have found that FirmFeel knows there business with this. I had a big block 69 Barracuda with fast ratio steering. Only they knew which pitman arm was right.

Last edited:
I have to agree^^^^^^

Think of what you're working on. Just stop, back away and THINK. Do you want the cheapest **** you can find on the steering on your dad's car? Steering in a car is like a wing to an airplane. If something goes wrong, BAD things happen. While that may be a decent replacement part, you've already found something that differs from the original.

I didn't buy it from Rock Auto for the price, I'm using my buddy's hoist and when he went to get one from Napa, they didn't have one and didn't know when they could get one. I only ordered from them for convenience. I will try and find a replacement.
thank you for the feedback!

I didn't buy it from Rock Auto for the price, I'm using my buddy's hoist and when he went to get one from Napa, they didn't have one and didn't know when they could get one. I only ordered from them for convenience. I will try and find a replacement.
thank you for the feedback!

I understand....I said that because most people buy for the pricing. I have too, but I always stick with brand names when I do. Yeah, you're gonna be hard pressed to find one in stock locally.

Is it clocked correctly? IIRC there is a double spline that has to line up with the matching spline on the shaft.

Also is it installed with the taper in the correct direction?

Is it clocked correctly? IIRC there is a double spline that has to line up with the matching spline on the shaft.

Also is it installed with the taper in the correct direction?
yes the double splines are lined up and I don't think it can fit with the taper the opposite direction can it?

Try to knock down any burrs or paint on the inside splines of the new pitman.

Take a stiff wire brush to it. Take a tiny file to the very ends of the splines. Look at the ends with a magnifying glass. Put some thread penetrating lube to the spines....

Are you basically trying to move it up 1/4” or so?

Like right now the nut is flush with the end of the pitman output shaft? And before there were threads showing?

I don't think it can fit with the taper the opposite direction can it
Just had to ask.

Have you measured it with a caliper?

Some where in the back of my mind I recall there being two diameter steering gear shafts?

Just had to ask.

Have you measured it with a caliper?

Some where in the back of my mind I recall there being two diameter steering gear shafts?

There are two diameters. But the difference is too large for any sort of reasonable spline engagement.

There are two diameters. But the difference is too large for any sort of reasonable spline engagement
If the shaft was large and the arm was small wouldn't that cause the issue OP described?

i just put on pitman arm from rock auto today on my 67 make sure you line up the splines correctly if the dont you wont be able to torque it down all the way an add a lil grease.

My dart also has a rockauto pittman arm put on 4 years back daily driver no problems. Most of my friends who daily drive there cars have cheap pittman arms.

Hi guys,
would someone have the Napa or Moog P/N for the pitman arm for a 65 Barracuda. The information avaiable in Canada through Napa is vague at best.

Not every part from rockauto is junk. They offer a wide variety of brand, quality, price, of most parts. The water pump for wifes RAV4 is a good example. I could buy a cheap Chinese copy or the same Aisin brand pump Toyota uses. I didn't need to shop locally for availability and price of the Aisin pump. I'm not paying for labor so I can afford the better parts.
I dont know who makes the best pitman arm though. Even Moog quality is not what it once was. Good luck

Not every part from rockauto is junk. They offer a wide variety of brand, quality, price, of most parts. The water pump for wifes RAV4 is a good example. I could buy a cheap Chinese copy or the same Aisin brand pump Toyota uses. I didn't need to shop locally for availability and price of the Aisin pump. I'm not paying for labor so I can afford the better parts.
I dont know who makes the best pitman arm though. Even Moog quality is not what it once was. Good luck
totally agree...some do it for price, some for convenience. I was stuck with no local source so it was worth a try.

Hi guys,
does anyone have the Napa P/N for the pitman arm for a 65 Barracuda. The Napa stores in Canada don't seem to be able to find it.
Any help is appreciate as it's special order.

I agree with that....BUT you need to be careful. They have a disclaimer "somewhere" that basically says if they don't have the part number you ordered, they will substitute it for a part they do have. It's there somewhere as I remember reading it. I've bought from rockauto and so far, I've yet to have that happen.

It’s a 0.11” difference. little less than 1/8”

It’s not that close
I just was bit by this on my Duster. Have a power steering gear box that was leaking like crazy. Replaced it with another fresh box that I had on the shelf for years. It seems that the new fresh box has the lager diameter splined shaft. So my Pitman arm will not slide onto the splined shaft. Did not know that there were two different shafts on the power steering boxes. Now, can I just purchase a new larger hole Pitman arm? This vehicles has headers and a 340. Will the new larger hole arm be the same length and curved drop and shaft to fit the rest of the steering linkage? Anyone by chance know a part # for this Pitman arm? Crazy. I thought maybe this was for a B or C body car. Any help would be appreciated.

I just was bit by this on my Duster. Have a power steering gear box that was leaking like crazy. Replaced it with another fresh box that I had on the shelf for years. It seems that the new fresh box has the lager diameter splined shaft. So my Pitman arm will not slide onto the splined shaft. Did not know that there were two different shafts on the power steering boxes. Now, can I just purchase a new larger hole Pitman arm? This vehicles has headers and a 340. Will the new larger hole arm be the same length and curved drop and shaft to fit the rest of the steering linkage? Anyone by chance know a part # for this Pitman arm? Crazy. I thought maybe this was for a B or C body car. Any help would be appreciated.
The problem you may encounter depends on the year of your Duster 72 and older PS boxes used a smaller pitman shaft and the stud that connects to your drag link faces up. On 73 And later they used the larger sector shaft and the stud at the end faces down. So unless you change drag links to the later model, your not going to be able to hook up your drag link.

Moog Pitman arm pn7076 came in today. Large splined hole ( ~1.1") vs the 1.0" hole on the old arm. Part made in some place called U.S.A.... don't see that too often. Stud diameter same as the old one.

pitman arm box (1).jpg

Pitman arm A body Mopar (1).jpg

In case anyone would need or like,
I have Brand New U.S.A. made:
The 1962 - 1966 "A" body PITMAN ARM,
The 1967 - 1972 "A" body PITMAN ARM,
And the 1968 - 1969 "A" body 383,440 PITMAN ARM.

All Brand New U.S.A. made... I would leave my phone number here, but forum rules prohibit that... (How dare I be up front and honest !!!!!)
P.M. me.... Craig....

-
Back