"Next Victim"

-
Thanks Carl. You have the best insider information out there and we appreciate you sharing it with us!

On the Duster, I should have stated....

Beginning stages of mock up......

The rear will be similar to the silver Duster moving the axle centerline forward 2" but with the ability (possibly) for leaf springs and a 4- link. The factory front suspension attach points will be moved forward 2" by removing a section of the front clip by the radiator support and moving everything forward. Then a full frame rail will attach the shortened fronts with the rear section. I will also move the bottom of the front frame rail up....about 1-1/4"

With all those subtle Modifications you'd better park next to a "Stock-ish" car (like mine) so people will notice all the changes.

Thanks to all who have shared to this point. Though these cars were boyhood heroes of mine I was only a spectator and had limited knowlege of their under pinnings. Thanks again for sharing your knowlege.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76orangewagon View Post

With all those subtle Modifications you'd better park next to a "Stock-ish" car (like mine) so people will notice all the changes.

That is EXACTLY my plan.....
:)

...and that is EXACTLY what Pro Stock racers back then tried to avoid! lol

Herb McCandless told me at the Henderson, N.C. event this past fall that when it came time to tech the car.....he was ALWAYS no where to be found.

I had been thinking about raising the floor in this one and when he told me that they had done that on his Pro stocker....mine became a done deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76orangewagon View Post

...and that is EXACTLY what Pro Stock racers back then tried to avoid! lol

I always heard the NASCAR boys planted "altered" stock appearing models of their race cars outside the garage....just in case a measurement was needed.

Now you boys know that none of those guys would ever cheat. Um well bend the rules. Like Shultz would say back in the day. I see nothing, I see nothing.

Lots of bench racing....finally home from a trip and can get back to work.

I have been at the shop.....John has been MIA.

if I do not see him tomorrow...I'll take a couple with my phone and forward to him for posting.

not much to see...just looking at changes / upgrading from the silver car.

I have a question for you...

how far off the ground are your rockers at the front and at the rear?...this car can't be that low...but I am trying to get and inch or so lower than the silver car.

text me if you prefer.

I have a question for you...

how far off the ground are your rockers at the front and at the rear?...this car can't be that low...but I am trying to get and inch or so lower than the silver car.

text me if you prefer.

To tell you the truth it's been so long since I mocked it up I can't remember . The only measurement I can remember is my frame rail by the torsion bar socket is 5" off the ground. Sorry, the wife says I'm very forgetful since I've been back.

Denny starting rear frame rail placement which although well inboard of the stock
rails, like the silver car still allow the use of the stock gas tank and the rear of the
stock trunk floor. When you open the trunk, other then the enlarged wheel tubs, it
will look stock (wink...wink).

Frame%202_zpsbvrju0mf.jpg

Frame%203_zpsdmszredm.jpg

Frame%201_zps5dfsnji9.jpg

thanks

Mostly I am re-confirming locations from the silver car, if fact the frame rail used for this is a leftover from that build. I just got the "fresh ones" from Summit. They come in pairs and cannot reasonably buy just one.

I will follow the same path as before. With my cocktail napkin sketches and measurements, the entire frame will be built at the HDK welder/fab shop and then attached to the body shell. That way, I am assured of it is as square / level as possible and tig welded by a pro.

That is sweet!!!! It makes me want to cut my car into pieces, but I know it will look like a booger when I am done. LOL.

One of my biggest regrets on my build is not moving the frame rails in some. Nice job keep up the good work.

I would like to see Carl (Tinman2) post a couple of pics of his complete Colt rolling chassis
that he built but then sold after Clyde passed on.

I would like to see Carl (Tinman2) post a couple of pics of his complete Colt rolling chassis
that he built but then sold after Clyde passed on.

Ok. This was when I had removed the body to paint the frame. The body was all fiberglass made from molds that were cast from Carlton's gold Rod Shop sponsored Dodge Colt. That made it identical down to every detail (even the rivets of the windshield and back glass frame). Actually, this was around 1980. I believe this was the last car to come from Don's Lenoir garage while Hodges Racing was still operating from that location. Some time later, I sold the car to a local bracket racer. It was crashed and totally destroyed. Unfortunately, these are the only pictures I have of the car.

Attachments

• 1 Colt Chassis.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 412
  • 2 Colt Chassis.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 411
  • 3 Colt Chassis.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 392
  • 4 Colt Chassis.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 406
The front suspension, lower 4-link bars, and brake and clutch pedals are titanium. This car was started by Stuart McDade at Hodges Racing but he never completed it. I actually made a lot of the fiberglass body parts for it. Later on I bought it and a W2-340 prostock test engine. Stuart had bracket raced the 340 with a Powerglide and trans brake in a Dart Swinger. He swapped the 2x 4bbl tunnel ram for a single 4bbl Petty intake that was borrowed from Roy Hill. The engine and trans mounts in my Colt frame were for the 340 & Powerglide. It was projected to weigh 1600 lbs ready to race.

-
Back