"Next Victim"

-
Subscribed and brought more buckets of popcorn.:happy1::happy1::happy1::happy1::happy1:

I think you need to make a up to date version of the wire car cause in true racer mindset if they can afford it why not go with today technology if it makes the car go faster?

I think you need to make a up to date version of the wire car cause in true racer mindset if they can afford it why not go with today technology if it makes the car go faster?

it will be a street car

when you get my age (60)....it is not about how fast you are....or even how fast you were. It about how fast you look.

it will not be a street car

when you get my age (60)....it is not about how fast you are....or even how fast you were. It about how fast you look.

I was always told .....There's ALWAYS somebody faster...as long as you can beat the local Ricer kid your good.

had to fix my last post....

It will be a street car.....a real racey lookin' one.

Denny's car and he is the builder. I am the truck/trailer driver, show and hotel scheduler, photographer and
keeper of archives, sometimes parts runner and full time critic.......also I am the big brother.

Hey!!!!....I thought you were building the motor for this ride???....do I gotta do EVERYTHING?

Like the Fonz once said in regard to the rear view mirror adjustment on his motorcycle:

Heyyyy......I don't want to see where I been.....I want to see how cool I look gettin' there.

Hey!!!!....I thought you were building the motor for this ride???....do I gotta do EVERYTHING?
Priced everything today. Called Trick Flow for the heads (May). Picked the
stroker kit from 440 Source. I'm stuck on the camshaft selection. Might be
a solid roller. I hope you like lashing valves.

whadda mean....I can do it in my sleep......give it a bump!

John, where you not paying attention during the seminar in N.C.....

yes it made several passes....but only one that was a decent one. The lady that bought never made a full hard pass....she thought there was a problem and it was unstable....then (?) made a pass an said it had no issues...drove great. After that is was parked.

I forget who made the pass....think it was Stewart Pomeroy??

Betty bracket raced this car for a while. As best I can remember, I heard they ran a 360 in it. Didn't sound very radical. And it was hooked to an automatic transmission.

The times I saw it run, I always thought the tires were pumped up a little too tight and with the automatic, the suspension wasn't getting shocked hard enough to work properly. It seemed to be set up really stiff (shocks and/or springs) and maybe not enough weight transfer because of the short front suspension travel. I always thought it really needed a clutch to get it to launch properly. Just my opinion.

I was actually paired up against her a couple of races. Someone (it may have been Clyde) told me that the car weighed 1960 lbs. with her in it. And I think they started out running low 6 second times right away in the 1/8 mile. My stock block 302 Camaro was running 7.30s so she was chasing me. Here is something to think about racing on a poorly lit local track. I would be looking back trying to see where she was and that black car was difficult to find. The time when I could spot her, it appeared that maybe at the top of her second gear, she wouldn't be gaining on me all that quick, but when she went to high gear... it was like that car would catapult by me like a rocket. Super light weight is a wonderful thing.

I remember an article I have somewhere that states the car weighed as little as 1,880 lbs. I guess the race engine/trans would have weighed less than a more conventional small block/auto trans. combination.

Great info.....

When the question was asked at the seminar

Was the car ever raced or did it ever make a pass?....I think it was asked in regards to the car configured in the motor /trim the car it was built for......Pro Stock.

What engine are you building Brother John??

What engine are you building Brother John??
Looks like the 400 I got from you in trade (keeping the block only). It had a forged crank
which I may sell (I thought all 400's had cast cranks?).

Plans are tentatively for a 440 Source 470 kit 0.035 over (10.06-1 C.R. w/78cc heads), the
new Trick Flow Specialties CNC Power Port 240 78cc aluminum cylinder heads (avail May 2015),
Comp hydraulic roller cam & lifters .560 lift , Comp or PRW stainless roller rockers,
Performer RPM intake, 900 Holley carb, 440 Source balancer, water pump & housing,
Milodon 7 qt. roadrace oil pan. (subject to change without notice)

Looks like the 400 I got from you in trade (keeping the block only). It had a forged crank
which I may sell (I thought all 400's had cast cranks?).

Plans are tentatively for a 440 Source 470 kit 0.035 over (10.06-1 C.R. w/78cc heads), the
new Trick Flow Specialties CNC Power Port 240 78cc aluminum cylinder heads (avail May 2015),
Comp hydraulic roller cam & lifters .560 lift , Comp or PRW stainless roller rockers,
Performer RPM intake, 900 Holley carb, 440 Source balancer, water pump & housing,
Milodon 7 qt. roadrace oil pan. (subject to change without notice)

Only 560 lift?

Back in August 2010 I posted a thread with current pics of the "Wire Car" as I found it sitting in a local SoCal restoration shop. I found the thread earlier today but the pics no longer show.
I'll reload the pics from 2010 to this thread after I get home from work today - if I can find them...

A few real Wire Car resto pics. Look at that poor old acid dipped rear sheetmetal! It was replaced.

IMG_0462_zpse8viwzkq.jpg

IMG_0673_zpsjon0tsyg.jpg

IMG_0674_zps7fbpjvjm.jpg

IMG_0683_zps7gcxkcsd.jpg

IMG_0675_zpsmxvbrbu7.jpg

IMG_0608_zpszuc7oab1.jpg

IMG_0647_zpshupyzsqb.jpg

IMG_0607_zpscwscipww.jpg

IMG_0652_zpstvyczl8y.jpg

IMG_0464_zpszsaoiddd.jpg

IMG_0609_zpsmxzgtftk.jpg

IMG_0463_zpsknfectz1.jpg

IMG_0491_zpstgjuyhkz.jpg

IMG_0297_zpsccvzl3an.jpg

IMG_0299_zps3th7dn7r.jpg

IMG_0654_zps2unqgryj.jpg

IMG_0492_zps96lsjhxa.jpg

IMG_0680_zpsgy2ua07d.jpg

IMG_1004_zpsayqe8kfd.jpg

IMG_4329_zps9emampvt.jpg

IMG_4328_zps0pyaz9yb.jpg

IMG_4424_zpsycjdkqx5.jpg

IMG_4464_zpsfjrduvo1.jpg

What is the story between the pre-resto "Don Carlton" on the door and the current "Mopar Missile"?

Looks like the 400 I got from you in trade (keeping the block only).

I don't know I think being a tribute car......I would stay true to its roots, that Small Block looks bad ***, I definitely would have to incorporate that unique Distributor set up....actually I wish I had seen that before I might have gone that route.

Attachments

• IMG_4329_zps9emampvt.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 502
  • distributor.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 488
  • distributor-3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 478
I believe that the "Don Carlton" on the sides was applied during a previous ownership and freshening by Jeff Johnson who runs Chrysler Classics events and emulates the Dart Sports that Don campaigned independently after Chrysler bowed out. Essentially correct (at least not incorrect) for the time. The car would have eventually looked as it does today because it was destined to be the next official Mopar Missile.

I don't know I think being a tribute car......I would stay true to its roots, that Small Block looks bad ***, I definitely would have to incorporate that unique Distributor set up....actually I wish I had seen that before I might have gone that route.
I actually suggested that he might want to just get one of those 450 hp small blocks from Indy Cylinder Head for about $6-$7k but I don't believe that he is actually trying to copy the Wire Car; he just wants to build a more radical version of his previous car in the visage of the black '73 Missile style. None of the radical body changes he is making are the same as the radical changes to the original Wire Car but the overall effect will be similar.......No altered B-pillar position for instance.

I wasn't offering to build the motor for it but he was asking for volunteers and I stood alone in the crowd. I'm not a small block guy but if it tickles your fancy, go ahead. You guys are friends and he can't drive both cars.

If he isn't still busy taking care of the real cars at some point I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Joe wheeling one of them.

This build was influenced by the wire car....and that is about the extent of it.

Some have already referred to the car as the
HDK Missile....

Now that makes me smile. :)

-
Back