"Next Victim"

-
This is the Colt the fiberglass molds were made from. The body I had looked exactly like this except of course for the paint. Mine was just black gelcoat when I sold it.

This gold car was rebodied for Sox and Martin as a 78 Dodge Challenger according to Clyde Hodges (from my coversations with him during the last couple of years before his death). He said the gold Colt body was sold to someone in Florida.

Now this is totally an assumption of mine from what I remember: The stretched B/A Dodge Colt must have been a different chassis (not this gold car modified) with a fiberglass body that would be easy to modify for different wheelbases. That may be the reason there were molds made of the entire car.
Back to our conversation... I always thought the white Rod Shop sponsored Colt was a longer car overall. Clyde said the overall length was not changed.. only the wheelbase was altered.

Pictures 1 and 3 show the gold Colt with standard wheelbase.

Picture 2 shows body move forward on chassis 10 inches plus front wheels moved forward an additional 10 inches.

Picture 4 shows body returned to standard position on chassis but front wheels left 10 inches forward. I believe this to be the final version.

Attachments

• podium.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 650
  • 4.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 566
  • RodShopColt - Copy.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 532
  • Pictures 413 - Copy.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 537
Can we PLEASE get Scruffs her own Thread? Something like What Would Scruffs Do?
:prayer:

Attachments

• Scruffs.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 575
Can we PLEASE get Scruffs her own Thread? Something like What Would Scruffs Do?
:prayer:

...just because he had his nuts clipped is no reason to call HIM a she....he is one of the boys!

LOL....my wife says he is just like me....

he cannot hear.....he is deaf , ear mites ate his eardrums before he found me.
he is loud.............probably something to do with being deaf....man, he roars
he stinks..............he enjoys farting on me...usually while he is napping.

He was a scrapper in his day....if you look close , you can see half his snorkus (nose) was nearly ripped off...and part of his ear is a little ragged.

when he first started hanging around (in WV), my prissy neighbor gal took one look at him and said...."WOW...that is the scruffiest cat I ever seen. I said "Hey....you just named him....Scruffs". She saw him 2 weeks later and didn't even think he was the same cat. Amazing what a little food will do for you.

That cat probably knows more about A-bodies than half the people on this forum.

He has been all over and under numerous high intensity builds including doing time
at Hemimark's in Pittsburgh and Ross's (orange wagon's) in Akron.

When we go to Marks he always heads for the injected Barracuda to take his nap.

Don't let him make you out to be a dumbass (like he always does me).

Ok. This was when I had removed the body to paint the frame. The body was all fiberglass made from molds that were cast from Carlton's gold Rod Shop sponsored Dodge Colt.
No wonder those cars were so light! I hope there is more to come!

Added a little more info to post #176.

Brown Duster on a new roll-around cart today.

IMG_20150306_173921_946_zpsnmul4kke.jpg

Learn something from this. Notice they are working on the height of the back end to adjust
the attitude of attack up front to get the yarn to go straight into the hood scoop. In the last
three pictures of the post above the difference in angle of the hood from the base of the
windshield forward is very apparent. Note also the alternate hood/scoop setup in black primer
which I believe reappeared in some form on the Colt with the extended front end.

I have lot's of this stuff......Too much to post here.

12_zpsc5nf9hcc.jpg

50_zps43pjpffc.jpg

I have lot's of this stuff......Too much to post

Do you have or know any videos of any of Carlton's cars?

On youTube: You can see the stretched Colt run and Don Carlton interviews- "1977 NHRA Springnationals-Sportsman" at 16:45, 19:38, 42:58, and 46:48.

"1975 NHRA US Nats- Indy" at 18:12 the Dart Sport

"1974 Southern Style Prostock" a really blurry video of Stuart McDade in one of Don's Dart Sports

I just found these. Super cool!

Clyde said Don wouldn't use the parachute if he could help it because he didn't want to have to get out and roll it up.

I watched all of those a couple of hours ago when you first posed the question.

That one with McDade running looks like a vintage home video from a local NC strip.

Very cool......wish there was more.

Looks like Shuffletown Dragway (now closed) near Charlotte, NC

I'll bet that was a great car and easy to maintain with a nice big single 4-Bbl wedge and a 727.

looking forward to seeing this project being built and the education that is coming with it.

..... Pick a Caption .. (welding and bracing to be added)

B%20Dust%20-%20shop%200509%20010_zpsjj5pympi.jpg

B%20Dust%20-%20shop%200509%20011_zpsrgyfczzt.jpg

B%20Dust%20-%20shop%200509%20012_zpso4eyloix.jpg

1. That Demo-Derby win is in the bag!

2. Hitting a medium size deer no longer a serious concern.

3. That clamp on top of the core support kind of reminds me of a Playboy Bunny's ears.

4. Mounting wind-cheating fender skirts will be a cinch.

5. Do you believe all of those jokers that put space wasting chassis structure inside the car?

6. Now we can use any aftermarket one-piece dirt track late model bodywork our hearts desire.

7. This should keep all of the lookey-lou's away from our secrets.

8. If New York taxis had this stuff it would lower every auto insurance premium in the country.

9. Probably will be introduced as part of our premium line of lawn furniture.

10. I heard that Ross and Blue Missle are jointly using the Cray Super computer at the Lockheed
Wind Tunnel to get their version out to the public first.

I'll wait to see where this front end treatment goes before comment, but don't think I didn't notice that raised floor........very nice.

-
Back