Official 3rd Gen Hemi thread

-
With the 545rfe you'll need to cut the tunnel and fabricate a new one since the 545 is a huge trans.

Riddler

I'm starting to research a new project to install a 6.1 L Hemi into a 1969 Barracuda Convertible (original 318, 904 with console) and using RMS front and rear suspension. The Keisler 4L60E Hydra-matic kit looks like it will install without any body cutting or mods, but I cant find out for sure if the Mopar 545RFE 5 speed automatic will install without any body mods.

Can someone confirm?
Thanks

The 545RFE trans is very large. I don't think there is any way you can install one in an A body without major floorpan surgery.

I've included some pictures of the work I did.

trans mount.JPG

tunnel.JPG

tunnel width.JPG

Thanks for the info on the 545RFE 5 speed automatic.

Another question: What is the Chrysler p/n for the production line 6.1 L hemi engine to use for a swap (instead of the crate engine)?
A vendor here in Ontario, Canada is quoting $6000 CAN for a 2008 production engine (includes wiring harness and manifolds etc), but I wanted to check with my Chrysler dealer for pricing.

I put a 06 5.7 in my 70 duster,now have 1200 miles on it,I went the carb route although some have issues with this it is MY car and I wanted a carb for the ol' school look,I have had plenty of issues to work around as to I also went with the ol' school A833 4 speed with a hydrolic clutch ,That in it self was a 6 month back-up on getting the car on the road,it was dynoed on a mustang dyno last week and the results where 367 rwhp

I put a 06 5.7 in my 70 duster,now have 1200 miles on it,I went the carb route although some have issues with this it is MY car and I wanted a carb for the ol' school look,I have had plenty of issues to work around as to I also went with the ol' school A833 4 speed with a hydrolic clutch ,That in it self was a 6 month back-up on getting the car on the road,it was dynoed on a mustang dyno last week and the results where 367 rwhp

Swifter,

is that stock 5.7 or cam/internals, what intake?

Thanks in advance

JOE

engine--06 durango
intake--xv
carb-quick fuel
igniton-hemi-6
cam--comp cams xfi
springs-comp chevy beehives
push rods--6.1 stock
lifters-comp
car-70 duster
trany-A833
rear-end--83/4 with 3.91's
radiator-afco racing wide core
fan-be-cool

Swifter,

sweet, thanks for the breakdown,

the XFI 260, 268, or 273??

lifters, comp cams?? because of the MDS?? did you have to delete MDS on the block also??

Mds-eliminator kit from shop hemi.com
TTi-oil filter block -off kit--DO NOT BUY XV's--they leak
tilton--hydrolic throw out bearing
TTi-a body headers
schumaker-motor mounts
Flaming river close ratio steering box
oil filter relocation kit--shop hemi.com
Milidon-6 quart pan
Milidon dip-stick

Swifter,

THANKS!

I was curoius about you combo, and the cam swap parts... hopefully someday soon I can start to gather parts.

JOE

Nice dyno number. That means its probably ~ 400hp at the crank.

You and I have almost the same setup except going into a 73 Duster w/ a 70 nose & 727 trans.

Finished my Trans mount and thought I would share. Now the beast of a trans is right where I want it.

Attachments

• trans mount 008.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,986
  • trans mount 010.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,995
  • trans mount 003.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,001
  • trans mount 001.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 2,028
My '09 5.7 weighs 537lbs. fully dressed with all accessories, auto flywheel, '09 variable runner truck intake and truck exhaust manifolds. No oil, No wiring harness. As weighed on very accurate, brand new salvage scale.

want to carburate a 5.7 and use the 727. is the MSD hemi-6 and harness all i need to run this. was also looking at 750 mighty demon, 273 cam etc and fabricate my own headers.

No, it absolutely is too big. Just installed a 545RFE tranny from PATC, in a '69 Dart, and I cut the entire floor out. It looks like I will be able to reuse the cut-out, by raising it up and adding patch pieces in to raise its height. The tranny is very fat in the middle, completely opposite of the 727 trans, which must be the 4 clutch pack and overdrive. This fatness in the middle take out the main cross member under you legs, so I will have to rebuild the geometry of hump in the cross member. I will send pics as I fab it in. I have almost 300 pics, but I need to shrink their file sizes to send to you guys.

I'm starting to research a new project to install a 6.1 L Hemi into a 1969 Barracuda Convertible (original 318, 904 with console) and using RMS front and rear suspension. The Keisler 4L60E Hydra-matic kit looks like it will install without any body cutting or mods, but I cant find out for sure if the Mopar 545RFE 5 speed automatic will install without any body mods.

Can someone confirm?
Thanks
No, it absolutely does not fit without a lot of floor modifications. See FABO Forum on 3rd Gen Hemi Swaps. I just posted a lengthy expalnation of what I am going thru to weld up the floor. We have a 6.1 Hemi, 545RFE going into a 69 Dart.

No, it absolutely does not fit without a lot of floor modifications. See FABO Forum on 3rd Gen Hemi Swaps. I just posted a lengthy expalnation of what I am going thru to weld up the floor. We have a 6.1 Hemi, 545RFE going into a 69 Dart.

I've completely changed my plans - now going to install Jamie Passon's 5 speed OD manual tranny.

-
Back