Oh dear God! 318 stroker

-
and trim the skirts to clear the crank throws,..then balance! but yeah the CH's work out good on the pistons. still makes better since to build a 360, cheaper to!
MAybe ‘I’ Should build this 340” 318 since I already have two of the 3 needed parts. The stroke would work good in a mild truck.

I ran into 2 issues; # 1; The intake will not be a put and place bolt on. If they take off the block surface then they " have " to remove from the front & rear rails or bolting becomes almost impossible. # 2! ; Pushrods. I chose to go with adjustable 273's. Pushrods are now too long. So now I have 2 choices stay with the adjustable, or go back to the non-adjustable ( stock ).

I ran into 2 issues; # 1; The intake will not be a put and place bolt on. If they take off the block surface then they " have " to remove from the front & rear rails or bolting becomes almost impossible. # 2! ; Pushrods. I chose to go with adjustable 273's. Pushrods are now too long. So now I have 2 choices stay with the adjustable, or go back to the non-adjustable ( stock ).
Sounds like they had to cut a lot off to get it zero deck.

I always wondered what it would be like to wear my underwear on backwards for a whole day. But never did it. Sometimes it pays go with the flow. Why make things more difficult than they already are.
I get the idea of wanting to experiment with different combos.

I don't get the idea of going around my arsehole to get to my elbow though with so many 360/5.9 cores available.

Sounds like they had to cut a lot off to get it zero deck.
They did. Bad thing about it was they didn't keep notes for the total amount cut off, otherwise I'd be able to just order the correct pushrods.

I sometimes wonder at the mythical magical reputation a 340 has in the Mopar community.
How about a hypothetical: in 1968 Mopar debuts the 2.02 head steel crank 10-1 four barrel 360, with a stout cam thrown into the bargain.
Five years later, smog regs coming on, gas prices double, insurance surcharges, so Mopar downsizes for smog reasons, and brings out the new two barrel, 8-1 cast crank, tiny head, no camshaft to speak of, 340!

Which does everyone want now? What's so mythical about a 340 now?

I sometimes wonder at the mythical magical reputation a 340 has in the Mopar community.
How about a hypothetical: in 1968 Mopar debuts the 2.02 head steel crank 10-1 four barrel 360, with a stout cam thrown into the bargain.
Five years later, smog regs coming on, gas prices double, insurance surcharges, so Mopar downsizes for smog reasons, and brings out the new two barrel, 8-1 cast crank, tiny head, no camshaft to speak of, 340!

Which does everyone want now? What's so mythical about a 340 now?
Cause a lot of people can't separate what the factory did performance wise and what's possible with any given engine. Look at 400 ford basically a 4 inch stroked 2bbl Cleveland but most think it has no potential, imagine if there was no 273 and 340 and 318 came with the 273 4bbl package then 340 trim. 318 would of been the legend.

To me I judge mainly by bore

3.98 is midway, to me 318/340/360 bores are fairly close to each other even a 273 bore is good for at least 400 hp.

Cause a lot of people can't separate what the factory did performance wise and what's possible with any given engine. Look at 400 ford basically a 4 inch stroked 2bbl Cleveland but most think it has no potential, imagine if there was no 273 and 340 and 318 came with the 273 4bbl package then 340 trim. 318 would of been the legend.

To me I judge mainly by bore

3.98 is midway, to me 318/340/360 bores are fairly close to each other even a 273 bore is good for at least 400 hp.
Same with the 400 sbc. Chevy guys like the 350, LOVE the 383 variant, and ignore the 400. Probably cause there was never a high performance version, just like 318, 400, mopars.
400 sbc can run hard with good parts, they don't even need to be great parts. Step one: pistons with some compression. Step two:decent heads. Step three, a decent cam. Step four: hang on tight.
The SAME formula works for 318s and 400s.
Potential of these and the Ford 400 is devalued, cause there was never a high performance version. It's a poor viewpoint.

I would start with a Molnar 3.58" stroke crank for a 318/ 240 main with 2.100" rod journals. This opens up lots of choices on rod length (anything from a 6.00" to 6.500") and more

common .927" wrist pin pistons. Then it's just a matter of selecting a piston compression height that will work with one of the available rod lengths and you can get in the cubic inch

range you wish to be in. You just need to know your deck height (I am guessing 9.58"), what CC heads your planning to use, and the compression ratio you would like the engine to be.

Tom

You can always buy a stroked Ford 5.0 crate engine at 347 CI.
Just kidding.
Just do the 318 stroked to 390 and put a 340 air cleaner on it. Only you will know.

359 Cubic Inch

Molnar 3.58" 2.100" SBC journal crankshaft
Molnar 6.200" SBC rods
4.00" Chevy 350 pistons with a 1.565" compression height. -.025 below the deck,

So many choices in 1.560" & 1.565" compression height SBC pistons allows for an almost infinite choice in compression ratio.

Or just buy a $400 360 core and be done with it.

Tom

Same with the 400 sbc. Chevy guys like the 350, LOVE the 383 variant, and ignore the 400. Probably cause there was never a high performance version, just like 318, 400, mopars.
400 sbc can run hard with good parts, they don't even need to be great parts. Step one: pistons with some compression. Step two:decent heads. Step three, a decent cam. Step four: hang on tight.
The SAME formula works for 318s and 400s.
Potential of these and the Ford 400 is devalued, cause there was never a high performance version. It's a poor viewpoint.
them chevy boys skerred of them 400 blocks, say there to weak to build power with! lot of them will only build what thay call a 010 350 high nickle block! sad thing is, them 010s ant near as good cast metal as any stock mopar small block, not by alot!!

It's an itch I've been wanting to scratch for 30 years. I've done chevy and ford's with the same Cid and have always been happy with the rpm and quickness. Street strip.
Just put your 318 together with 360 heads, good compression pistons, a decent cam, intake and carb. It will be plenty fast enough to match Ford and Chevy 350's.

400 blocks have siamesed cylinders with only steam holes for cooling. It does not work. Puffing smoke at 30,000 miles. Scrapped every one I got hold of.

I had a 400 in a small motorhome and it had almost no heat for late season races. I was talking to my buddy that ran a local towing service, auto repair and told him I was going to try changing the thermostat. He recommended putting more clothes on and told me their issues. Never gave me one Ounce of problems.

I had a 400 in a small motorhome and it had almost no heat for late season races. I was talking to my buddy that ran a local towing service, auto repair and told him I was going to try changing the thermostat. He recommended putting more clothes on and told me their issues. Never gave me one Ounce of problems.
Chevy 400?

A stock car friend built 377's. .030+ 400 with a 350 crank. TRW made the thick bearings to make it work. The damn thing sounded like no other car out on the track and ran like a scalded dog!

I just remember the look people gave me when I told them the rings were shot and their 400 Chevy needed rebuilt at 30,000 miles. And those were in passenger cars.

Like I said it towed good. Years later I went from a 23 foot motorhome to a 27 foot Coachman with a 460 ford. That thing was the most powerless piece of dog poop I’ve ever owned. It sounded like a damn vacuum sweeper. Now I have a 25 foot class A (2003) with a fuel injected big block Chevy and it tows my 26 foot enclosed trailer great. Bought it with 23000 miles on it. Best 5000.00 I’ve ever spent.

-
Back