Ok so lets really talk K-members here Folks

-
Joe, Tory has been street driving with this k-member and suspension for over a year and has been designing it for 3. He has shown his design to some of his peers and they all have commented on how well designed the system is. Even someone who has been mentioned in this thread a good deal has praised this system and commented that it was time he wasn't the only pony at this show.

I know this is relatively unknown and untested (without years of postings and articles) but you guys are very quick to say it's junk when you don't know that much about it. I will be getting a k-member from Tory in about a week/week and a half and after I mock up my motor mounts and send him measurements he asked me to try my best to destroy it. I have a spare factory K-member so I will do comparisons between the 2 side by side pictures and side by side destruction so you can see what this thing is made of.

i never said it was junk. and your right no one knows anything about it. how can we know anything about it with only a couple pictures and three real quick videos where the tires never turn left or right?

that car is definitely a straight line car and i don't see him really pushing it into a corner. i'd like to see it hit a corner at speed and see how it behaves thats all.

It would "behave" by slammin against the outside curb of the turn cause of them skinnys on the front slidin across the road like a couple of pencil erasers. That's how it would "behave".

It would "behave" by slammin against the outside curb of the turn cause of them skinnys on the front slidin across the road like a couple of pencil erasers. That's how it would "behave".

i think you would be shocked as to how those skinny tires will handle. mine handled pretty damn good with the skinnys on it (pic below). no where near what it does now with the 17" wheels but damn good enough to surprise most of my friends when we hit a corner and i was right up their ***.:)

mikes__7-15-06_022.jpg

Interesting discussion. Is there a solution for those of us who would like to install a 3g hemi and keep power steering with the stock front end? The problem seems to be the power steering box is too large.

Would it be possible to modify the k frame to lower the power steering box? Or use a different power steering box like from a corvair?

Interesting discussion. Is there a solution for those of us who would like to install a 3g hemi and keep power steering with the stock front end? The problem seems to be the power steering box is too large.

Would it be possible to modify the k frame to lower the power steering box? Or use a different power steering box like from a corvair?

i brought up the covair steering box over a month ago but it turns out corvair never had power steering. but the good question is has anyone ever researched a smaller steering box like maybe from a plymouth arrow or dodge colt/cricket, sapporo/challenger? just some idea's

i think you would be shocked as to how those skinny tires will handle. mine handled pretty damn good with the skinnys on it (pic below). no where near what it does now with the 17" wheels but damn good enough to surprise most of my friends when we hit a corner and i was right up their ***.:)

Yeah! And if you are accelerating out of it most of the weight transfers to the rear anyway. I have 195's on all four corners right now and I can go down these twisty TN roads WELL over the posted limit.. I can hardly wait until I get my Sticky 17's on.

Ok guys I received some pictures from Tory today...These are of two cars that are in his garage with after market K frames and spindles. One is of a "GM" the other is a "Phord". These show the same exact style of geometry that Troy incorporated in his K frame for our cars. He thought outside the box and didn't try and fix the Ackerman, reverse, bump steer issues that others have run into while making their own Mopar based units.

Attachments

• Photo01031748.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 322
  • Photo01031752.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 360
i think you would be shocked as to how those skinny tires will handle..........

Nope and I'll tell you why. Because those skinnys on THAT car are BIASED PLY tires and would take a corner like ****. That's why. The pic of yours with the skinnys are very obviously radials. Big difference.

Oh ya you dont have to tell me twice about the diff between a radial and a bias,lol! The radial keeps your *** on the road. The bias puts it in a tree,lol. Kinda like the diff between a good handling european car and the original porshe 911.

Nope and I'll tell you why. Because those skinnys on THAT car are BIASED PLY tires and would take a corner like ****. That's why. The pic of yours with the skinnys are very obviously radials. Big difference.

still don't think it would be half as bad as you think if the suspension works properly.

Ok guys I received some pictures from Tory today...These are of two cars that are in his garage with after market K frames and spindles. One is of a "GM" the other is a "Phord". These show the same exact style of geometry that Troy incorporated in his K frame for our cars. He thought outside the box and didn't try and fix the Ackerman, reverse, bump steer issues that others have run into while making their own Mopar based units.

he needs to learn that the little flower setting on his camera is for close up shots like that. holy crap those blury pictures hurt my eyes.

he needs to learn that the little flower setting on his camera is for close up shots like that. holy crap those blury pictures hurt my eyes.

Sorry Joe gotta cut him some slack he's a fabricator not a photographer.

70Duster that's the poisondart built by Schwartz chassis and the engine is a 572 hemi. What I see when I look at that picture is severe angle on the tie rods and a complete lack of Ackerman like everyone is so quick to point out is a must..

There's more than one way to induce Ackermann steering.

You know what I haven't mentioned here guys. I'm not "working" for Tory and I do not stand to make any money out of this K-member. I am mearly acting as a voice for Tory who himself isn't able to spend to much time on the forums. He also knows my passion for these cars and knows that I can show you guys how things work from an outside perspective.

Wow! After making zip for so long it says a lot about you,going the extra mile.8)

I STILL hope this idea works out!:cheers:

After reading all the replies I've decided why the RMS Alterktion looks good. Mustang ii owners have gone to the tubular K frames and sold RMS, Heite and Speedway their stock units :jocolor:

its easy to sit here and discuss things like ackeman and bump steer, roll centers, etc, but the fact is 99.8% of everyone here have no idea what it means, no offense to anyone, but unless you have actually raced, oval or twisties as somebody mention earlier and have attempted to overcome issues and chassis tuning, you have no idea, its an art, requires real talent!!!!

most factory set up will work well in a somewhat normal day to day driving and even some mild racing application.....and to me drag racing doesnt count, straight line, requires little more than the ability to transfer weight in the correct fashion to hook the rear tires.
but oval track or road racing requires real design and tuning ability, from years of racing stock and superstocks with an a body, take it for granted, a bodies sucked at oval track racing, in stock classes where we had to retain stock appearing front suspension, we did some pretty insane stuff to get the race car to turn and handle, including putting the car on a genesis frame machine and twisting the frame in an attempt to get the angles right....

it takes knowledge to go fast and turn, at least if you want to run in the front of the pack....i applauded what your trying to accomplish, so far have spent 8k with RMS, would i be happyer having spent half that, silly question....4k instead of 8, 4k to spend some where else, like wheels, tires, name it.....

but at the end of the day, it needs to work, im not spending 40k + on my car to run last, will do whatever it takes to run up front and if it includes spending 5k on a front suspension, so be it....
Dodge29

by the way, if you think going fast doesnt cost money....try building an all out r3 race engine, front timing cover 440.00 cost, water pump nearly 500.00 my cost, dealer cost....
Dodge29

-
Back