OMG need help fast

-

bama-a-body

Reaction score
ok question is : my 318 is popping in the carb under load, runs ruff at an idle, i have replaced every part of the ignition system, checked for fuel it is getting plenty, rewired the distribitor twice just to make sure im not crazy,and no change?????? keep in mind the auto was under no disstress when this started.... any ideas....? please help fast as for this is my daily driver .:snakeman:

ok question is : my 318 is popping in the carb under load, runs ruff at an idle, i have replaced every part of the ignition system, checked for fuel it is getting plenty, rewired the distribitor twice just to make sure im not crazy,and no change?????? keep in mind the auto was under no disstress when this started.... any ideas....? please help fast as for this is my daily driver .:snakeman:

Check the timing first and then the carb.

What do you have the timing set at idle. Is vacuum canister plugged when you check it. What is your ALL IN MECHANICAL ADVANCE at? Once that is correct move to the carburetor and adjust it properly.

My Volare with a 340 did that once. Pushrod went through a rocker arm.

Another thought would be water in the gas.

Wylde1.

this is an absolute stock 318 sorry for not saying that earlier, and would or could that change if it was running fine and then just all the sudden ????? and thanks mad dart this has got me bummed out.

Timing chain sounds likely. Could also be a worn cam lobe just showing up now. I like the pushrod, or rocker arm idea also, and they are easy to check.

no water in gas in fact it will crank with out touching the gas and idle .... but ruff... man hope it aint a mech. failure.. please keep it all coming cause its gotta run by monday at the lastest and right now it wouldnt yank a turd out of a septic tank lol

this is an absolute stock 318 sorry for not saying that earlier, and would or could that change if it was running fine and then just all the sudden ????? and thanks mad dart this has got me bummed out.

Sorry dont mean to bumm anybody out. I figured just start with the easy stuff. Your carb could be clogged up somewhere also. Have you checked your fuel filter??

Again this is the easiest stuff to rule out!

if it is not the ignition...then it is in the valve train...

pull valve covers look for pushrod punched thru rocker....make sure all rockers are going up and down....

couple of possible causes that will need the valve covers removed to check two of and that be a wiped lobe on the camshaft or a broken rocker arm. as was mentioned timing chain jumped or a sunk valve from crappy gas. you can pull the spark plug wires one at a time form the distributor cap while the engine is running to determine which cylinder is not firing and then go from there. a compression test on all cylinders will be a help also

ok going to remove valve covers and there is no choke on this puppy lmao makes her alil cold collared in the winter lol no vaccum leaks i think and yea it does idle ruff as all get out but it will crank without touching the gas , just when you load the motor up it pops bad and runs ruff

and thx to all cause if i wasnt bald id be pullin hair right now lol

You say original 318, how many miles are on it and has anything been replaced or can you tell if some gaskets (timing cover gasket) look newer than any others?

ok i pulled the wires one at a time ... did ya'll know that could be electrifing to say the least lol, so any way the number 2 cylinder stops the popping when the wire is disconnected so i guess i will have to wait for day light and pull the valve cover thx again and please post more ideas if you have any.

360scamp it has an original 91000 old man miles on it and ran great up until earlier when i was puttering down the road and then pop pop pop everytime you try to give it gas

Hey bama where are you located. Maybe I can help. I'm in Hazel Green Al.

I've never seen these cars break a valve spring or drop a valve but I've seen plenty of pushrods through the rocker arms. If that is the case check the others too as lack of oil can burn the pushrod cup in the rocker out causing it to weaken. I have just seen weak rockers though.

just south of huntsville in owens cross rds harleydodge1 and no push rods thru the rockers the cover is off and they all look normal for 91000 miles that is lol, and now its wait for day light as for i can no longer hold the light work and see all at the same time lol

Relax

Pull the #2 plug and inspect, maybe pull the valve cover. Look and see what you have.

2 looks like the rest , pulled cover and no rod thru the rocker, with running if u pull the plug wire it quits popin on number 2 cylinder.

At 91000 miles your timing chain is trash. Yes, they will go just like that. I've had 3 or 4 that refused to start after parking them for the night. Hook up a timing light, plug the vacuum hose to the distributor, and fire it up. Let it idle and look at the timing marks with the light. If it appears to be moving back and forth at all, it's time to change the chain. You will need a 1 1/4" socket for the crank bolt and a harmonic damper puller to get the front cover off. You will not need to drop the oil pan but there are 2 or 3 bolts that thread through the front lip into the front cover. If it still wants to run rough, pull the pushrods, chuck them up in a drill, and see how many are bent. Had a '74 Charger that bent all 16. If you have bent pushrods chances are you also have bent valves.

-
Back