Opinions on this Custom Comp roller cam, engine combo

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
5DFB02C8-E25D-47FF-8288-B29B14934368.png

Ok, learning everyday from the Pro’s on here, thanks in advance !
I have a 383/489 with flat tops. I was going to use a set of ported 516s I bought and swap to dish pistons but I just got some Stealths to use instead. So I’m keeping the flat tops. ....
4.5cc, 82cc, .051 gasket and comp roller with ...57* ivc, I end up with 11-1 with 8.33 dynamic.
Chambers may end up to be 84-85 and I’ll use a .040 gasket. Will be using pump 93, in a mini tubbed dart, 3500stall, 4.10s, 28in tire....... Tunnel ram, 2in headers, Street/strip
Cam is supposed to be from Bob Mazzolini’s shop.
What springs do you think I need ???
What do you think of this combo ?

Last edited:
Should work fine.

Very easy on parts lobes.
You could probably get away with 150 on the seat and 420-ish open.

That being said, I just don’t like using spring loads that light in a BB roller application.

I usually shoot for around 200/500 with the milder BB rollers.

I have a generic spring like that here, that installs at 1.900, and is [email protected] lift.

Basically you’re looking for something like a Comp 938 or 954.
Pair with some 10* retainers and locks.

That’s a bit to of a split. 7*’s.
Do you know how your heads flow?
IMO, I think it’s going to be a really nice street engine. It is a healthy cam.

That cam is smaller, and has quite a bit slower lobes than the UD 259/264-108, .651/.651 roller I ran in my old 9.7:1 906 headed 448........which btw was much mellower/better behaved than the MP509 cam.
And....... he’s going to have another 40+ cubes to use it up.

With the slower ramps of the OP’s cam....... it’ll still be kinda lumpy at idle though.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I didn’t want to wait months for a Cam and then I saw this one on eBay. It’s new and I got it for $300.
The heads are stock, 2 yrs old, with 300 miles on them in a Chrysler 300 with a 383. Will be blending bowls and gasket matching. Haha with all those “300”s maybe I’ll get lucky and they’ll flow 300. Hopefully at least 275
How about rockers, 1.5 or 1.6 ?

Last edited:
I like the tunnel ram. Don’t care for all that duration split with good headers.
I’m curious, do you think cam was intended for use with exhaust manifolds ?
Would it run better with smaller headers,
like 1 3/4 ? Or maybe Schumacher Tri-Ys ?

Playing with the ex duration on a build like that is really more like fine tuning.
Don’t worry about it.
Besides, the Stealth exhaust ports aren’t fantastic.

I’d use 1-7/8” or 2” headers.

Properly recutting the seats and blending the bowls on Stealth heads gets them into the 280 range.

1.6 rockers will likely require modifying the intake pushrod tunnels.

Playing with the ex duration on a build like that is really more like fine tuning.
Don’t worry about it.
Besides, the Stealth exhaust ports aren’t fantastic.

I’d use 1-7/8” or 2” headers.

Properly recutting the seats and blending the bowls on Stealth heads gets them into the 280 range.

1.6 rockers will likely require modifying the intake pushrod tunnels.

Ok thanks, I will use what I have,
2in hooker Fenderwell and 1.5 Crane.
I’ll be in touch

I’m curious, do you think cam was intended for use with exhaust manifolds ?
Would it run better with smaller headers,
like 1 3/4 ? Or maybe Schumacher Tri-Ys ?

Because that’s the trendy thing right now. I’ve typed this many times, but if you ask a cam grinder if they are adding exhaust duration or reducing intake duration you’ll never get an answer.

The only time I ever run a split is if I’m running alcohol (and at that I only had a 4 degree split) or if I’m stuck with a shitty exhaust.

IMO if the headers work, why add exhaust duration? IMO all that does is kill power right in the curve where you don’t want it to. Coming off the transbrake, in the gear changes or of street driving, right in the fat part of the curve.

I just don’t see a need for it.

Because that’s the trendy thing right now. I’ve typed this many times, but if you ask a cam grinder if they are adding exhaust duration or reducing intake duration you’ll never get an answer.

The only time I ever run a split is if I’m running alcohol (and at that I only had a 4 degree split) or if I’m stuck with a shitty exhaust.

IMO if the headers work, why add exhaust duration? IMO all that does is kill power right in the curve where you don’t want it to. Coming off the transbrake, in the gear changes or of street driving, right in the fat part of the curve.

I just don’t see a need for it.

Magnum 262/262 Solid Roller Cam (3 Bolt) for Chrysler 383-440

I was planning to get this one before I bought the other. Same 57* IVC

Last edited:
-
Back