Overheated last night...bad

-
That kindof mAkes me rethink buying anything from summit. They are usually my go to. Looks like I will have to try jegs from now on.

Well..hard lesson learned, but I would always make sure the impellor is tacked from now on.

...The mildon however doesn't have the impeller tack welded to the shaft like the old one and the baffle plate is 2 piece vs. 1 which just seems chinsy to me. ...

Even tacking doesn't sound sufficient to last thru years of corrosion. After-market parts are expensive eye candy, but often less reliable.

Even tacking doesn't sound sufficient to last thru years of corrosion. After-market parts are expensive eye candy, but often less reliable.

The tacks are done with stainless rod. From experience I can tell you they are sufficient.

My old pump looks like the day it was put in and that was in service for over a decade.

Update: The car is all back together. I replaced the cast iron pump housing with a new MPP unit. I also replaced all of the hardware with stainless steel.

Next up, refill and giver her a go.

Fingers crossed.......

You might consider asking Summit for some type of credit or future discount for what turns out to be their mistake.
No one here can say it is their mistake for certain.... they may have been given incomplete instructions from Milodon for pulling parts. It is basically Milodon's problem. Manufacturers and distributors are pretty quick to blame these things on someone else to avoid liability. And technical/customer service people can be woefully ignorant and are incentivized to resolve issues on the spot, so there seems to be more and more crap given out these days.

It sounds like you nailed the problem rocco...

Oh, I nailed the problem. just hope everything is ok when I fire this thing back up.

So I started it up and drove it up and down the road and let it idle for a while last night. I have a nail in the tire so I couldn't go far. but I got it up to about 160 degrees.

It seemed ok, how do I know for sure if the overheating hurt anything. What would I be looking for?

blade tips also disappear due to dissimilar metals + water = electrolysis. Marine engines run sacrificial zinc anodes to prevent expensive parts from disappearing.

Do yourself a favor and take a meter and see if there is any voltage at all usually mv in the rad water while running. Seriously had this once and it ate the impellor.

I run dexcool. My impellor looked new after 12 years of service.

I just had a strange one caused by a bad ground so it went through the coolant. The electronics went nuts also!

It seemed ok, how do I know for sure if the overheating hurt anything. What would I be looking for?
I'd look for :
1. Overheating due to warped heads, lifted head gaskets, cracks. I'd get/borrow a pressure tester and look for elevated pressures when warmed up, or pulsation in the pressure. Or a gas-in-coolant test kit.
2. Lower compression in any cylinder due to the above or any ring/piston issues. A compression check would be good to do.

Glad you found it..

There's stuff you just can't look for,, like piston scuff ,, you're just gonna have to drive it,, and put on some miles, and hopefully smiles..

I don't have a BB handy,, but would the tool for checking the small block impeller,, would it have worked for checking the bigblock water pump impeller. or a tool similar..???.??

just curious,, and perhaps helpful to others in the future..???

I know it's only four bolts,, but....

thnx

Attachments

• waterpump and misc 021.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 228
Here it is. The one that failed and then new one.

Attachments

• water pump.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 228
I drove it again. Everything seems fine. Ran it up to full operating temperature. Let it cool, checked antifreeze. It's holding pressure in the system when hot and when cool it didn't' loose any. It runs fine.

Just curious. Did the impeller come back an wear into the housing when coming loose? I know some of the housings are aluminum and some are cast steel. You may ask them to pay to replace that if it did.

I am not sure of the clearance on a Big block. But I have seen some messed up timing covers on Small blocks from this happening. Just a heads up. Steve

It hit the housing but didn't' hurt it . It was an iron housing. I replaced it with an aluminum

Sounds like everything is ok. Really glad it worked out for you!

part of the issue.

twin elctric fans <---- boom!

How the hell are twin electric fans part of the issue? The impeller fell off the water pump shaft due to a faulty run of pumps milodon put a recall on. I had no water circulation.

You either didn't read or can't read. My car when the impellor is on the pump stays cool as a clam.

Wow, I can't even being to touch the ignorance of your post on every level.

ANOTHER PART OF THE ISSUE.

your water pump is a 6 blade pump. maybe get a 8 blade water pump.

boom!

ANOTHER PART OF THE ISSUE.

your water pump is a 6 blade pump. maybe get a 8 blade water pump.

boom!

What the hell is wrong with you? My car runs cool with the 6 blade HV pump. ALWAYS.

THE ONLY REASON I HAD AN ISSUE THIS ONE TIME IS BECAUSE THE IMPELLOR FELL OFF THE SHAFT.

Attachments

• water pump.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 156
-
Back