Overpriced Used Parts for A bodies

-
Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of "greedy" prices on used stuff for sale in here. And some of this stuff looks like its ready for the trash can. Now I use to go to the self service wrecking yards all the time and prices there have gone up there around 2-3x since the 90's. Anyway.....

Front used seats self service wrecking. Todays price- $55
Front seats in here thrashed - $300
I sat in most all the mopar vinyl seats in the wrecking yard and I can tell you that they all sucked and smelled really bad.

Trailer hitch from pick and pull 1990's. - $7.50
Todays price. $25.00

Steering wheel $5.00 1990's....................

Now the A-body was suppose to be cheap. It was a compact commuter car. Now people seem to be fighting for the parts. That's where the greed comes in. Is everyone trying to win a trophy or something at the car show? Why not just get a B body or E body and play that game. :protest:

Your right since when does a gas cap cost $70+ thats what year-one wants for a duster gas cap.. I bought it at car Quest for 6 bucks sure it doesnt fit perfectly but who cares... I paid $35 for a used left rear veiw mirror. Its all a game but and they got your balls in a vice. ...Bill

You need to find another yard. I usually only go on half-price days. I have left parts on the counter when they ask too much or get too picky about their price lists. I tell them "crush it". I doubt they ever match the part to the car it came off, so not smart for them. The going price is whatever people actually pay for something, not the asking price. The main costly parts are the ones everybody thinks they must have, like a 4 spd tranny or a big posi rear-end. If you keep a slant, SBP, ... things get very reasonable. Even better for 4-doors.

Your right since when does a gas cap cost $70+ thats what year-one wants for a duster gas cap.. I bought it at car Quest for 6 bucks sure it doesnt fit perfectly but who cares... I paid $35 for a used left rear veiw mirror. Its all a game but and they got your balls in a vice. ...Bill
rape! that`s what I call it-rape! just kiddin, but your right, some people think eveyone will pay for it because it`s an a body. you just have to be patient, I know that deals come along (after I already bought):protest: all the time, do luck out once in a while tho------bob:protest:

If you look around enough and jump quick, you can still get deals. I just bought an a body 833, paid $75 for it and it looks perfect inside. The guy had just been sitting on it for years.
I try to pass deals along too when I'm selling parts

I'll buy every single 70 Duster/Dart bucket seat with tracks you can get your hands on for $55.

Call me when you have 10 so it's make fuel cost easier. :)

I list my parts with shipping include so the price may seem high but add the shipping . And that is for a vintage part you cannot get in repo. My parts are always clean to bare metal and usually coated. As for a gas cap the cost 70 dollars. Go find a 71 painted cap for a Demon. I have two painted for each car. Also when I sell a cap it comes from a fill tube that I need to sell missing the cap..

The last cap I sold for a 71 was to a member that came here . I sold it for $30 dollars in a package deal. I won't sell anymore due to being that hard to get . 67 -70 are all the same 72 up are the ones they repo. But they do not clock correct on the 67-70. And they won't come close to fitting a 71.

Also if you think that was a lot for a mirror Check out the prices of painted sport mirrors. Or a repo that is no where near the quality of a used original.

My vise is pretty big. The bigger your balls the harder I squeeze. . Many members have come here and almost filled their vehicle. I give them a price and they make me an offer . That is the fun of the hobby personal interacting and laughing.They always left with what they needed that I had and were more than happy. The more you buy the less you pay. Especially if your a sit down and bullshit kind of guy. I don't like hit and runs unless I am busy.

If so I get you what you need through a number out and then get the hell out of here. Steve

Also you can always make an offer if the price is to high. But most of you just yell rape.

the thing is...these cars aren't around like they use to be.i find that i have to pay top $ for something now that i would scrap years ago.

it's just gonna get worse.i'll take all the a-body bucket seats you can find @ 55$ a set too...highbacks only though...hahaha

i gave 150$ for this 70 duster in 96...i bet it'd be twice that now.

Attachments

• 1970 duster (4).JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 453
Here's one for you. A tranny mount for my 69 4 speed dart is $8.00 at Rock Auto, try that anywhere they sell Mopar restoration parts. Its plain rubber and my original lasted over 40 years, in fact I used it in my 65 Valiant as a backup when it failed.

You don't buy it then someone will. Just the way it is. Nothing cheap about this hobby. or play the waiting game And Wait till you find the right price for you

Probably the reason so many guys are selling their old cars for modern muscle.

Seats are only $15.00 each here... but there are no A-bodies or any vintage Mopars to get them out of.

Maybe there is a larger supply of A-bodies in California than there is in the rest of the country so parts are more plentiful. They are now scarce in this area since most of the old yards have crushed out and closed the doors. I have seen one A-body in the u pull it yards in the last year and it was a four door Dart with drum brakes and a /6 no option car.

A body use to be cheap. Nothing cheap about them anymore. I paid $3000 for my 69 Barracuda with a fresh 340/727, Nice paint, Nice interior in 98. I paid more then that for my 73 Duster, Needs everything but is rust free.

My biggest problem with the you-pull-it yards, is the price list, no haggleing, that's the price, priced out a 73 a-body brake parts setup(per the price list) and would have been over $300, then to pay core charge on parts that are cores themselves(calipers, rotors, etc.).

I built and installed an HEI ignition system at no charge for the manager of the U pick it here, so I get at least 50% off on everything now. :D

I found if you are patient, you can find some really good deals on stuff.
Whitepunkonnitro (Tony) has some really good deals too.

stop being fin cheap, compared to even 5 yrs ago, Abodys parts are very hard to find, good stuff!! in past 10 yrs many junkyards are gone, dont *****

if ya think stuff too expensive buy NOS, or year 1, or restoration places

yes were are not all jay lenos,
but wannabe restorers you shouldnt be, again in 2002 i pulled 2 dart fenders of a 73 , 50 each from a yard, 8 yrs later sold em for 175 a piece, in SC, even 175 is a steal!! rust free!! as they were,

the jay lenos will always buy no questions ask, again if restoring a bodies too much for your budget , get another hobby!!

I'm seeing a lot of "greedy" prices on used stuff for sale in here. And some of this stuff looks like its ready for the trash can. Now I use to go to the self service wrecking yards all the time and prices there have gone up there around 2-3x since the 90's. Anyway.....

Front used seats self service wrecking. Todays price- $55
Front seats in here thrashed - $300
I sat in most all the mopar vinyl seats in the wrecking yard and I can tell you that they all sucked and smelled really bad.

Trailer hitch from pick and pull 1990's. - $7.50
Todays price. $25.00

Steering wheel $5.00 1990's....................

Now the A-body was suppose to be cheap. It was a compact commuter car. Now people seem to be fighting for the parts. That's where the greed comes in. Is everyone trying to win a trophy or something at the car show? Why not just get a B body or E body and play that game. :protest:
So I take it you would sell your car for the 1500 it would have sold for when the parts were almost free.

I list my parts with shipping include so the price may seem high but add the shipping . And that is for a vintage part you cannot get in repo. My parts are always clean to bare metal and usually coated. As for a gas cap the cost 70 dollars. Go find a 71 painted cap for a Demon. I have two painted for each car. Also when I sell a cap it comes from a fill tube that I need to sell missing the cap..

The last cap I sold for a 71 was to a member that came here . I sold it for $30 dollars in a package deal. I won't sell anymore due to being that hard to get . 67 -70 are all the same 72 up are the ones they repo. But they do not clock correct on the 67-70. And they won't come close to fitting a 71.

Also if you think that was a lot for a mirror Check out the prices of painted sport mirrors. Or a repo that is no where near the quality of a used original.

My vise is pretty big. The bigger your balls the harder I squeeze. . Many members have come here and almost filled their vehicle. I give them a price and they make me an offer . That is the fun of the hobby personal interacting and laughing.They always left with what they needed that I had and were more than happy. The more you buy the less you pay. Especially if your a sit down and bullshit kind of guy. I don't like hit and runs unless I am busy.

If so I get you what you need through a number out and then get the hell out of here. Steve

Also you can always make an offer if the price is to high. But most of you just yell rape.
I thought you were very fair on my springs and I didnt dickher thanks again.

Funny, there are several yards near me, one has over 100+ 60-76 a-body Mopars....and awesome prices too....guess location is key too....not many yards left out west or east.....another reason I love Minnesota :glasses7:

Doesn't matter what your hobby is nowadays, everything is getting expensive.....guess if you think Mopar prices are getting too high then go build a Chevy with a 350 like everybody else! BTW, go to the grocery store, prices have changed there too in the last 10 years........

stop being fin cheap, compared to even 5 yrs ago, Abodys parts are very hard to find, good stuff!! in past 10 yrs many junkyards are gone, dont *****

but wannabe restorers you shouldnt be, again in 2002 i pulled 2 dart fenders of a 73 , 50 each from a yard, 8 yrs later sold em for 175 a piece, in SC, even 175 is a steal!! rust free!! as they were,

the jay lenos will always buy no questions ask, again if restoring a bodies too much for your budget , get another hobby!!

wow

Funny, there are several yards near me, one has over 100+ 60-76 a-body Mopars....and awesome prices too....guess location is key too....not many yards left out west or east.....another reason I love Minnesota :glasses7:

Doesn't matter what your hobby is nowadays, everything is getting expensive.....guess if you think Mopar prices are getting too high then go build a Chevy with a 350 like everybody else! BTW, go to the grocery store, prices have changed there too in the last 10 years........

Location has a lot to do with it. And I think the internet does too. Now everyone can compete with each other. They see someone asking big bucks for a part so their parts are worth just as much.

I'll buy every single 70 Duster/Dart bucket seat with tracks you can get your hands on for $55.

Call me when you have 10 so it's make fuel cost easier. :)
hell I will double price to get them out here.
the thing is...these cars aren't around like they use to be.i find that i have to pay top $ for something now that i would scrap years ago.

it's just gonna get worse.i'll take all the a-body bucket seats you can find @ 55$ a set too...
Same as above you find em for 55 ill pay a 110 for every 70 duster dart bucket seats with tracks you can get.:happy1:

wanna sell that dart????
ill give you early 90's price for that inexpensive compact commuter in your avatar.:thumblef:

Its not a hobby. Its been my transportation for 20+ years. I'm not a restoration freak.
I refuse to give in to "The System" which is: Getting raped by the dealerships.

-
Back