Personal Crisis in Western NC: HELP!!!

-
Fatjack's got it!

So Ive ran into an issue. There is a lug stud on the driver's side axle and I can't get it out! :banghead:

I tried tapping it with a hammer. Hitting it with a hammer. And wailing on it with a hammer. Nothing. Hey, here's a fun smiley :violent1: Thats what I felt like I was doing and getting nowhere.

Btw JD, I took the plug out and shined a light in there. Everything is hunky doory as far as I can tell, but dry as a bone.

So back to the lug, what tricks do you guys have for removing lugs?

Is it damaged or sumphin? Usually they are pressed in and out, I have gotten them out with a BFH though.

It appears to be just a plain ole' pressed in lug stud thats had almost the entire stud broke off.

Dumb question, what's BFH?

Wow guys, your version of a little something is a lot of something! Thank you all so much!!!

Did you find / get one? I just read the post. There may be one in North Wilkesboro if you're still looking. That's about 40 minutes east of Hickory.

A shame this didn't happen a week ago,my wife and I went to NC for a balloon ride,and I could've brought you my rear end with 58K and brand new brakes and drums!!Let me know if it doesn't work out for you,maybe I can come up with something.

Money sent per paypal.

Good luck.

As far as the stuck stud, do you have an air hammer and punch bit to try to drive it out?

Soak it with penetrating oil and wail on it. Try a 2 lb hand sledge if you don't have an air hammer/chisel.

Fatjack's got it!

So Ive ran into an issue. There is a lug stud on the driver's side axle and I can't get it out! :banghead:

I tried tapping it with a hammer. Hitting it with a hammer. And wailing on it with a hammer. Nothing. Hey, here's a fun smiley :violent1: Thats what I felt like I was doing and getting nowhere.

Btw JD, I took the plug out and shined a light in there. Everything is hunky doory as far as I can tell, but dry as a bone.

So back to the lug, what tricks do you guys have for removing lugs?

Glad it looks good Matt. Unless it leaked out when I took it out of the car, and set it behind the garage for a while, I don't know? I didn't remove the cover at all. Pour a little motor oil in it, and set it so the pinion is hanging down. That will find a leaky pinion seal if there is one. I'm sure you know the studs on the drivers side have left hand threads on them. I can't imagine a little bitty fellar like you ringing one off twisting the nut the wrong way! :D You can get a stud out of your old axle to replace the busted one with. Let me know if you don't have any. I may have an old small bolt pattern 8 3/4 axle shaft laying around with studs in it, but I will have to strain the noggin to remember where they are. If I can find them, I'll be glad to mail you a wheel stud if I have one. Sounds like your making headway, just remember to work safe once you get under your car.

Quick update as I warmup from the 48.5 degree weather. Got the brakes off the new rear. Just got the U-bolts off the old one, it's ready to be pulled out. Wheel stud came out. Not put one of my studs in yet.

Back to work!

Glad to help.......best of luck getting it back on the road....A lot of us have been in similar jams. Nothing wrong with asking friends for help.....

-
Back