Pertronix conversion ?

-

ronw

Reaction score
Anyone replace their points with the Pertronix conversion and how is it working? Seems like
a solution to upgrade and keep the stock look with no fire wall boxes or additional add on's. Any + or - with this system? Ron

those kits work well. had a set in jamies 69 dart for years and never had an issue. Had the car for about 7 years. Drove the **** out of that car including 7 hours to the nats. Never touched the kit.

Last edited:
I haven't used this in my car, but I have a neighbor who has replaced the dual points in his and is very pleased. He says the car starts easier and runs better. He really likes the low maintenance of no points to adjust. My 65 barracuda is currently disassembled awaiting paint. I have considered replacing the points in mine, but haven't made that decision.

I used one in my 66 273 dual point and have one in my 70 Swinger. Yes, easier starting and runs fine!

013.jpg

The ONLY issue I have with those is ........consider buying two, because "if" it quits you won't find parts in the parts stores

I replaced the Mallory breaker plate in my boat with Pertronix, the boat has never ran better !
I do however carry fresh points installed on plate, just in case.
Throw your point distributor in the trunk, just in case, easy swap.

Works great. My pro-built 273 for CUDAVRT (see my photos) got a Pertronics conversion during the build. Fired right up on the run-in stand and purred like a kitten. Just remember to delete the ballast resistor.

Stroher

Just curious, if you only replaced the points, would you remove the ballast resistor

If I remember correctly some of the allow ballast removal others don't. Ballast was still on Jamie's 69. That was an older kit though.

Yes, read the instructions. Most don't use a ballast. Just leave it on and wire past it to make it look stock. I used one of these connectors.

kdv14p-o.jpg

When I replaced my coil with a FlameThrower, I contacted Pertronix. They recommended their 45011 and remove the ballast resistor. It's a .6 ohm resistance coil, IIRC.

The ONLY issue I have with those is ........consider buying two, because "if" it quits you won't find parts in the parts stores

Love my III, but keep the loaded point breaker plate in the glove box with a screwdriver and a needed ignition wrenches just in case!

Last edited:
If you do it, and I recommend it! Follow the instructions to the letter and use the coil and plug wires recommended. They are required to get the performance and reliability you desire!

I set points on my dual point dist. After struggling to do it even on workbench, I said never again and put in the pertronic. Very happy with it.

Dual points are the reason I am considering purchasing this for mine. I was never good setting points.

If you do, avoid the original Ignitor since outdated (still requires ballast). Ignitor II is like GM's HEI and III adds MSD and rev limiter. For those w/ a small-block, an entire HEI distributor is only $45, so could keep a spare in the trunk (Ningbo, ebay).

Not to keen on the ready to run dizzy. The mechanical advance mechanism looks like garbage. Convert your Genuine Mopar dizzy!

I put one in my '70 318 daily driver several years ago. I love it.

***The one hint is to by a couple rotors when you buy the unit and put them aside for future tune-ups. A standard rotor you buy at your local parts store will not fit properly. Summit has it all but the replacement rotors used to be hard to find on their website. I got the part number from calling Pertronix and searched it that way. Pertronix doesn't even list the rotors on their site.

I put one in my '70 318 daily driver several years ago. I love it.

***The one hint is to by a couple rotors when you buy the unit and put them aside for future tune-ups. A standard rotor you buy at your local parts store will not fit properly. Summit has it all but the replacement rotors used to be hard to find on their website. I got the part number from calling Pertronix and searched it that way. Pertronix doesn't even list the rotors on their site.
What is the part number??

If someone has been able to install a Pertronix in a 340 Prestolite distributor, I would like to know which one they used. I tried two different models, the 1383 and the 1384 neither fit. The mounting holes in the module did not line up with the holes in the breaker plate.

-
Back