Piston pin bad ?

-
I dont think the Bruins will kill the Wings that bad..... The Wings are pretty decent.

Just the best sport in the galaxy..... :supz:.... and we're wai:coffee2:ting for more news from the OP.

Not to throw rocks at your parade, but a good sign is when they send you new replacements for free. The fact that they want you to send them back is to appear to show good will, before they smash your balls between two rocks! Maybe I'm being a pessimist?

This made me wince! OW! :sad1:

Hockey talk during intermission....

I will pull motor Sunday and take to machine shop on Monday.

I dont think the Bruins will kill the Wings that bad..... The Wings are pretty decent.

I agree Wings always seem to find a way to win. Im hoping for them over the Bruins.

I thought we were talking engine wows? What the hell is Hockey?

LOL, see below..

Just the best sport in the galaxy..... :supz:.... and we're wai:coffee2:ting for more news from the OP.

Ya nailed it! Habs n Lightning on now.

Hockey talk during intermission....

I will pull motor Sunday and take to machine shop on Monday.

Hope it isnt anything too drastic. Hoping for lowcost solution for ya!

Go wings, then hawks....

If they both get eliminated, then I don't care anymore.... LOL!

After watching the video & hearing the sound & seeing the pictures of the pistons, I gotta say it sounds like something getting beat around in the cylinder. A foreign piece of something. The valve train damage may be a separate issue from the noise or a result of that root cause. I would think the valve spring pressure would be enought to force the rocker back in position(closed) or if they were totally seized it would break/ bend the rocker or if the vavle hung open enough that would be bent too.
I hope you find out what is going on & that everything works out good in the end. Good Luck.

Sent the rocker arms back to hughes last Friday and they already have shipped a new set back. Dave said he is not sure why I had the problem but took care of me regardless.

Great customer service !

He thinks I may have had the side clearances too tight . They recommend .015 total play per rocker arm pair between pedestals. That doesnt sound like enough to me ....I am sure I had at least that much. Would you think there would be more hot expansion than that with 2 rocker arms , spacers and shims ?

Sent the rocker arms back to hughes last Friday and they already have shipped a new set back. Dave said he is not sure why I had the problem but took care of me regardless.

Great customer service !

He thinks I may have had the side clearances too tight . They recommend .015 total play per rocker arm pair between pedestals. That doesnt sound like enough to me ....I am sure I had at least that much. Would you think there would be more hot expansion than that with 2 rocker arms , spacers and shims ?

Call Dave back and ask if those clearances are hot or cold.

Good thinking.... I will email him. Hot would make sense.... .015 does not leave much room to grow ! Lol

So I brought the engine to get an unbiased opinion . Here is what is he said.

1).. This was caused my piston damage..( took him 3 seconds to find it!)

He thinks it might be a baseplate screw from a carb....i will check both holleys I used...
It was sitting in #3 hole which was unmarred ! I didnt think to check it closely because it was clean and i had just pulled that head late the night before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 136
2) The valve job on my heads was SH*T ! He said he would not even touch them and that I should just get new heads! (Rustyratrod was dead on ! And I never mentioned a word to the builder !) But doubts that created my rocker issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 134
I asked the shop to check out the whole engine to figure out what else the original shop may have screwed up!

A couple grand flushed....woosh.....

The chances of the block and other pistons being salvageable are good,, a piston,, maybe, but not likely a rod,, some new heads you needed anyway,,, you got off relatively easy,, and the root cause likely wasn't the builder's fault..

hope it helps

Bingo..

I mentioned it could get into other cyls,, glad it didn't do more damage..

Now you know the cause...

Not sure what it was yet... Probably never will.

Machinest told me he once had a prostocker suck a valve and take out all 8 cyls.
The driver couldnt believe 1 valve took out all 8.... Mike told him to look inside his sealed snorkel scoop.... It was beat to hell on the inside from a peice of the valve !

The chances of the block and other pistons being salvageable are good,, a piston,, maybe, but not likely a rod,, some new heads you needed anyway,,, you got off relatively easy,, and the root cause likely wasn't the builder's fault..

hope it helps

I don't think the failure was the original builders fault , but rather a random comedy of errors.

I do however think that the engine might have been a dog and possibly lived a short life due to poor workmanship....

Who knows where that piece came from...i was very carefull and even taped up ports once heads were on!

I don't think the failure was the original builders fault , but rather a random comedy of errors.

I do however think that the engine might have been a dog and possibly lived a short life due to poor workmanship....

Who knows where that piece came from...i was very carefull and even taped up ports once heads were on!

Yep,, chit happens,, you'll likely never know,, but check those butterfly screws.. lol .. hang in there..

To big for a butterfly screw....thought of that. I will go out and check the baseplate screws now.

Hmmm... Is there something missing here ? #3310 750 vacuum secondary....took it of the 383 mag from my 70 Charger to baseline the breakin. Was on the 383 for 15+ yrs...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 158
-
Back