Plasti Dip

-

CharlieRotten

Green Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Plasti Dip?

Its extremely popular in the "tuner" scene (POS civics and corollas with huge wings) because its cheap, but I have seen a few cars that have been done up well.

I do know that it is very cheap and "removable" but I worry about how difficult it is to remove it.

It might be a good option to test out paint colors on my car until I find the right fit, but I am not too sure on the application or lasting effects.

Has anyone dealt with this stuff?

Love it, for what it was actually made for but Never used it on a car body.

Several of our club members use it. I wouldn't! You have to reapply to remove with ease, very hard to remove otherwise. Guess it softens the old coat. Also fades when sitting out in the sun too long. It is sold by the gallon at Lowes and comes in white and black. I think other colors are available. It is a matte finish for what its worth.

I've used it on small stuff on my subaru, grill/small trim. It does fade, and some cleaners/waxes stain it easily. Mine did stand up ok to power washing. I've had it become difficult to remove after sun (I've never heard the re-apply to remove trick). It's also not always a smooth finish, I've seen it come out with some texture to it. Because of that I'd sure be nervous about putting it on paint.

Joe

I did the blackout on the hood of my truck. glad I used it, first time I did it didn't like how it looked, so I peeled it off and redid it with a couple touches and love it

1st time

2nd time

Isn't Plasti-Dip the stuff you dip tool handles into to get a cushioned grip?

yup, but now they offer it in spray cans so you can basically paint whatever you want. walmart carries black and white, some hardware stores carry red, grey, and blue. and you can also get a glossifier, which is basically a clear coat

Plasti dip is crap maybe works on little things but a major pain in the butt to get off of anything big. Personal experiance I would never use it again.

We did my friends wheels and emblems. Works well and comes off easy if there isn't too many small spots you have to get into.

Plasti dip is crap maybe works on little things but a major pain in the butt to get off of anything big. Personal experiance I would never use it again.

came ff the hod f my truck real easy when I didn't like the 1st time I did it, and it didn't want to come off unless I picked at it to get an edge up

also did my whole quad with it, was black and silver, did it all white and did the centers of the wheels black, but the white is starting to come off in spots from going through the woods and getting scuffed up by tree branches

We did the hood of my brother's JK. It was a whole lot cheaper than getting a custom vinyl made.

650921d1375052747-jku-crush-mini-build-plasti-dip-3-copy.jpg

Plastidip is great stuff if used correctly. I used it to black out parts of my Mustang. It works nice with emblems too.

spikekid999
Sweet looking 2nd Gen Ram!

Attachments

• 2013-06-09182142_zps085a0bed.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 381
Thicker coats also make it come off easier from what I hear. It does tend to have a bit of texture to it, but I've also heard that spray technique can help to smooth it out. Did a dash in a 94 Viper with it and have been really happy with that. Tried doing the "windows" between spokes on a car of mine and didn't like it as much. Mostly just didn't care for the look in general, but also I didn't unmask it fast enough. You have to unmask while wet or you will pull edges up. It appears to toughen up a little over time. The dash in the Viper was still a little soft to the touch for a few days, but it's been months now and it has a firmer feel to it. Don't feel like I'm going scratch it off as much anymore.

i guess it is all in what you want to us it on a lot of jeepers use on there rigs. I think you can get it at the local auto parts store

haven't seen it at any parts stores, just walmart and hardware stores (ace, hope depot ect)

and thanks fj5 duster, lots of time and money in it, and still not close to done

haven't seen it at any parts stores, just walmart and hardware stores (ace, hope depot ect)

and thanks fj5 duster, lots of time and money in it, and still not close to done

You're doing a great job on it, keep up the good work! My 2nd gen is finally in the body shop for paint... I think my Ram project is costing me about 3x what I had planned! Check out my picture gallery when you get a chance.

actually going to be doing it to my 73 swinger, the whole car. Dipyoucar.com has some awesome stuff, ideas and tips. I don't have time to do all the metal work and get the car painted before my wedding in May of 2014. So I'm going to see how it comes out, will keep you guys updated!

-
Back