plz help...dizzy upgrade problems

-

gniknayrb18

Reaction score
yes i have searched and cant seam to find what im looking for. i recently ordered an upgrade hei dizzy for my 72 demon 340. this is what i ordered and i installed it and now im getting no spark. http://www.ebay.com/itm/330830750870?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
i hooked up the red wire to the positive side of the coil and the black wire to the other side and nothing. im getting really frustrated with this because it was running fine and i was told that the points was outdated tech. i cant seam to get anything out of this damn thing and about ready to give up. i have been having a lot of bad luck lately and trying to get this thing running right before i go in for surgery.plz plz if anyone had installed one of these show me the ways

Well, I have to ask, is the rotor under the cap. I have seen several times people leave it out in haste.

with the key on...are you getting 12 volts at the positive side of the coil?

while cranking...are you getting 12 volts at the positive side of the coil?

do you still have a ballast resistor in the circuit?

yes rotor is on and i finally got some spark but still no fire on the motor...have a full 12v both on and trying to start...not even trying to start and it ran fine before im so confused

and the ballast has been taken out...kinda...i am using that to get my 12 v from but only on the one that reads full 12 all the time unless the car is off

1-------Did you check coil voltage WHILE CRANKING WITH THE KEY?

(I suspect you did not get the blue and brown off the ballast hooked together, which provides cranking voltage)

2----------Jumper the start relay.......easy..........just take a screwdriver or pliers and jumper across the Great Big battery stud and the other bare terminal, the "square" looking screw terminal. Be darn sure to get it out of gear, as it will crank in gear.

3-----Are the destructions online and can you post a link?

no destructions and after doing more research...a little late now....its a skip white dizzy and have had some pretty bad reviews...any suggestions in a new hei upgrade system..i know trailblazer..i think thats his name...has something but i need a new dizzy as well

You can get a mopar reman at any auto parts store for like 35-45 dollars than use trailbeasts system you wont be dissapointed with his setup. I am using it and have nothing but praise for his setup. You will still have to curve the dizzy the way you want it.

you need to get 12 volts to the coil at all times......where the ballast resistor is ...you need to combine the blue and brown wire together...skip over the ballast resistor.

sometimes the blue wire is red instead of blue. I have seen this before.

Was your car originally points or breakerless?

72 shop manual:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088657

See page 8-147, follow along in the excerpt

At top left of the posted diagram, find "Q" in the bulkhead connector. Wire no J3-14BR which means it's wire no J3 is a no 14 wire and is BROWN comes out of the bulkhead and goes down the page to the COIL PLUS side of the ballast resistor (left side) This is hot 12V when the key is in "start" and is the ONLY source of ignition power when cranking. Ma calls this "IGN2", J3, some of us call it the "bypass" circuit

When you release the key to "run" the IGN 1 or "run" circuit takes over. Again at the bulkhead connector, find "N" which is wire J2-16DBL, meaning it is the J2 circuit, a no 16 wire, and is DARK BLUE. It goes down the page and to the right side of the ballast. NOTICE that it branches off at the ballast, this also supplies power to the alternator field (blue) and to the regulator. On some cars this also powers the idle solenoid if used, electric choke if used, distributor retard solenoid if used, and on some newer cars one or two other smog doo dads

Not shown in the post is that the other brown coming off the left end of the ballast does run off to the coil + terminal

Attachments

• ignition.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 138
Now, if you had factory breakerless, that is a sort of supplement on page 8-146

What you have here now is two resistors, one above the other. THE TOP RESISTOR is actually wired exactly as a 2 terminal "points" resistor is wired, electrically

That is, you have the left side hooked to coil + just like above, you have the brown going up to the bulkhead just like above.

What is NOT clearly shown is that the right hand end is fed "ignition run" to both the top right and botto right terminals which are jumpered together.

This is represented by the "diamond 1" symbol which if you look is present on page 8-147

Attachments

• electronic.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 143
-
Back