Ported Slant 6 head

-
SWEET!!!!! You are one step closer. Hopefully I can get over there and check things out. I see a road trip in my future when I get home.

I dropped my rods and pistons off today to have them bushed for floatin pins, good rod bolts installed and rods resized.

The head looks nice and all, but 85% exh:int ratio at mid lift??? Not favorible for a NA engine.

Ok. I'll get it out tonight and get some pics and post the new flow sheet. Love your car. I wish mine was that solid. It will be.
Rob,
I am dying here of curiosity, please post the final flow sheet and get that thing together and get us some track times...LOL
Martin

The head looks nice and all, but 85% exh:int ratio at mid lift??? Not favorible for a NA engine.
Works good on a slant !
The 225 head is basically a great design for the 170,but Mopar never redesign the head for the extra cubes...

Since it's not a race car lookin for every last tenth, I don't really care. One thing's certain. It'll flow gangbusters over a stock head whether the flow is "Not favorible for a NA engine" or not.

Rob,
I am dying here of curiosity, please post the final flow sheet and get that thing together and get us some track times...LOL
Martin

I'm sorry. I have been draggin my feet. I will post it in a few.

Here are the final numbers with the competition valve job.

Attachments

• FINAL NUMBERS.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 542
Rob.you got your money worth.
I am stoked about your build.Yours going to be cooler than mine.This a first /6 build for me and I purchased an unfinished /6 project,blocks cut heavily,stock cast flat tops (sealed power),0.20 in the hole,bored 0.030 and stock chamber (54cc)head had 1.70/1.44 valve and seats put in it.I tore it down and cleaning it up.Working on better oiling,changing the cam to erson .465.
Justin working on my /6 head,got a clifford manifold in the deal also.
Got some older Clifford headers,I going to copy cat and make a custom,equal length headers...
Well bodywork is going to happen first !!!
My next slant will be along the lines of yours with 198 rods or K1....
You really need to start a member restoration thread,a lot of good information for present and future builds.
We all say we are building a street only car...
Just ribbing ya man...
See ya at the track,
Martin

Well, this is my first slant build too. The more I got into learning about them, the more I found out that you really cannot add an appreciable amount of power without some major mods. That's why I went the direction I did. I was going to simply add a four barrel cam and header, but that would have been a waste of time. I would have ended up pulling it out in favor of a V8. Now I will not. After Bruce's death, I resigned myself to build a hot slant no matter what, because were it not for him, I would still be pulling them out and throwing them in the ditch. He was a really special person and made me realize how cool slants could be. I never would have considered one had I not met Bruce.

Well thanks for the flow sheets,just playing around with numbers on the Dyno 2000 and stuff...Looks like I can do 10.92 second 1/4 mile runs with my combo if I ditch the 63 and build a sand rail with wheelie bars !!!(and lose some personal weight)...

I have not had time to talk to Justin but he flowed my head with the standard valve job the PO had done with just 1.70/1.44 valves and he said it was not good.He will be starting a thread soon.

I promise to quit hounding you about is that block done yet !!!
You definitely are going in the right direction on your build and mine is more run what I got...The previous owner was just build a warmed over slant for a truck.At least I will have better than stock compression...Maybe cut the head and get my compression up to high so Bill will not be able to talk me into going turbo.
LOL, Just kidding his build is beautiful...Can not wait to see it run.
I have considered it though and read a bunch on it.

You done your research and can not wait for at least a burnout vid...
How that 318 build going?
Or did this build take funds away and put in on the back burner?
Martin

Naw, the teen is still movin forward. We're callin it "Frankenteen" since it's an LA short block with Magnum heads. lol .

"Frankenteen"That is funny.
My 74 dart with 318la is getting the Magnum heads after all,I chickened out on milling the J heads(saving them for my 340)...I just clearance d the magnum heads so the pushrods would clear the heads.It zero deck and .525 lift.
Stock 466 heads with Hughes 1110 springs and retainers,guides cut for up to .600 lift and milled to 60 cc chambers.May try bolting them up tomorrow and see if I need to do any more grinding...they are not going to flow much,but once again running what I got.I bought a lot of parts for my darts in the past couple of years and now I got no money for the good stuff,so I going to get them running with what I got.

I bet you a dollar you'll have to run premium fuel and may have detonation under heavy load when it's hot out. Not me, brother. I ain't millin sheeot. 9:1 is just fine with me.....I don't care if it's 8.7. lol

I bet you a dollar you'll have to run premium fuel and may have detonation under heavy load when it's hot out. Not me, brother. I ain't millin sheeot. 9:1 is just fine with me.....I don't care if it's 8.7. lol
Rob,You got that right but it just go to be a weekend bruiser at the track !!!
Just trying to find time to finish...Finishing someones sleeper project and wanting to see what I can squeeze out of a teen.:burnout::burnout::burnout:
Here a link of the build I have not finished since I am now focusing on the 63.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=133981

Just got to look at the head it looks sweet. Thought I'd post a pic of my first attempt at porting,hope you don't mind.

Attachments

• PICT2439 (Small).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 361
  • PICT2441 (Small).JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 341

9:1 would give you the very practical option of forced induction, down the road, should you ever decide you wanted to go REAL fast...

9:1 would give you the very practical option of forced induction, down the road, should you ever decide you wanted to go REAL fast...

I have my 170 for that. I got plans. lol

I have my 170 for that. I got plans. lol

Well, it's really none of my business, but the virtually 33-percent larger swept volume of a 225 gives it an almost insurmountable advantage over a 170 when it comes to making power, (especially since the same head is used for both,) so if you really want to go fast, though it's possible to do it with a 170, it's a whole lot easier (and, cheaper,) with a 225.

It's a fact that the 170 has a storied history of runaway success in Class racing, and the Daytona Compact Race speaks volumes about how well a 170 can run. It has high RPM capability like no other, and the cylinder head was designed for it. In a class where the vehicle-weight is decided by a pounds-per-cubic-inch formula, there's just no better size to run; the 170 will ALWAYS trounce the 225's.

There's no question about that.

But, in the world of street or bracket competition, where TOTAL OUTPUT is the deciding factor, the old adage of "there's no replacement for displacement" holds true.

Different people build different engines for different reasons.

If listening to an 8,000 rpm song is what trips your trigger, then the 170's for you, because they have that capability! In spades!!!:cheers: I'm sure a turbocharged 170 running 25 pounds of boost at that kind of RPM would make tons of power.... and probably live.

But, if you just want a LOT of power from a slant 6 the cheapest way possible, my vote goes to the 225 with a hairdryer on it.

Just my 2-cents, and probably over-priced, at that...

Good luck in whatever you do; I'm sure it will be neat!:happy1:

-
Back