Rare Dodge Dart GT? Which engine is this?

-
Dana, I thought they were metal back then not plastic. You say, "not necessarily", does that mean for basic motor 6cly or a HP one as the OP states it is.
A few things
  1. What I was pointing out is not all cars got shrouds, maybe in 69 or 70 on all cars got one? My stock 67 dart with 273, 2bbl, and CAP only got a 7 blade fixed fan, no shroud.
  2. I did not make any distinction between plastic or metal shrouds.
  3. HD cooling, AC, Towing Packages, 383s were most likely to have had a shroud.
  4. Thermostatic fan clutches were not commonplace till the late 60s
  5. The OP's car IIRC started out as a slant 6.
  6. The OP's car certainly has been hot rodded in the most truest sense. Engine swap - trans swap (I assume) who knows what else.
  7. My guess is the person/person's hot rodding the car did so with parts available to them, so it will naturally be a mis match of parts.
  8. Chrysler had alternators before Ford and Chevy, my 63 Econoline van had a generator, my mom's 65 mustang had an alternator. 60 Valient had alternator standard.

Yep, we bought a new fuel pump as we initially suspected the old defect one was the cause of the issues. Also it looks like all of the instruments are in English so I'd think it's 180mph and miles on the odometer

View attachment 1716042030
Kilometers IS in English, just not US English, most all other English speaking countries use Km/hr. Like said, I'd like to have that cluster, with the speedo gear &/or reducer to make it MPH. That'd be badass...

WELCOME!!! A very cool looking car. Keep asking questions here & best of luck with what you are trying to do. Keep us posted on your progress.

. Like said, I'd like to have that cluster, with the speedo gear &/or reducer to make it MPH. That'd be badass
Some one was selling a metric 67 to 70 dart cluster. 240Kph, right ratio converter you have a 240 mph speedo! I wish I had bought it. It did not even say Kph

I've got a metric (0-240KPH) rally speedometer in my 67 Barracuda. I bought it out of Mexico. I'll post a picture tomorrow night.

This is interesting.

Take a look at the lower radiator hose looping under the crankshaft from the passenger side, then back up to the early cast iron water pump outlet on the drivers side.

Not sure, maybe they needed that cast iron water pump casting so they could mount the Alternator on the driver's side?

View attachment 1716042071
The cast iron water pump is so the fan won't hit the radiator. I tried to put a new aluminum water pump in a 66 Barracuda and even with the stock 4 blade fan there was only about 1/4" (slightly less) clearance between the back of the radiator and the fan blades. Too close for my comfort so I put the cast iron pump back on.

6ab6e208-f286-4565-a8a9-6ab65f95efee-jpeg.1716041787
20170205_134339-jpg.1715015591

Same Speedometer as in this 1965 Barracuda (built for Export to Austria) - it is a KPH -Speedo.

KPH Speedos were common then in european mopars - we have four of them - with 180 kph, 200 kph and 240 kph - standard and Rallye dash.

IMG_3446.jpg

Duster interior.JPG

Or
161,612.0 km
Or
261,612.0 km

My dart shows just shy of 23,000 miles but that's the 4th time it has been there!

Would be cool to find some adjustable rockers sitting atop of a 340.
Weren't hot little 340's always known as big block killers?

Would be cool to find some adjustable rockers sitting atop of a 340.
Weren't hot little 340's always known as big block killers?
A TA 340 has them on its hydraulic cam but are a different offset then the standard 340. The 273 adjustable rockers would work fine on the standard 340. True as you say about the 340, as the big block killers or maybe it was the "giant killer". Can anyone tell me if the 273 was a soild or hydraulic cam, or depending on the year, both?

A TA 340 has them on its hydraulic cam but are a different offset then the standard 340. The 273 adjustable rockers would work fine on the standard 340. True as you say about the 340, as the big block killers or maybe it was the "giant killer". Can anyone tell me if the 273 was a soild or hydraulic cam, or depending on the year, both?
273 was solid until 68. 68 and 69 were hydraulic with non adjustable rockers. The 273 solid cam came in 2 grinds, one for 2 barrel and a slightly larger one for 4 barrel

273 was solid until 68. 68 and 69 were hydraulic with non adjustable rockers. The 273 solid cam came in 2 grinds, one for 2 barrel and a slightly larger one for 4 barrel
Thanks toolmanmike, so only the solid cams had the adjustable. I recall many years ago a friend of mine had a 67' Dart 273, four Barrel, that had a solid cam, but thought maybe all did.

Thanks toolmanmike, so only the solid cams had the adjustable. I recall many years ago a friend of mine had a 67' Dart 273, four Barrel, that had a solid cam, but thought maybe all did.
Yes just the solid cam's had the adjustable rockers except for the 340 TA/AAR engines. Hydraulic cam/lifters require different pushrods with the adjustable rockers.

Here’s a snapshot of the rear, dual exhaust. This is from back in 2020 when my dad was attempting to start the engine without luck, at least one tail light was working :lol:

46AA2C0E-B178-428E-B1DF-0FE81C09FEF2.jpeg

One thing is for sure, that car is in need of a lot of love.

One thing is for sure, that car is

One thing is for sure, that car is in need of a lot of love.
Wait til you see pics of my sled lol. Interior held together with safety pins. Body, paint ? No way.
Knowing me I'll wreck it, blow it up in no time.
After sitting for 5-6 years YUNGBLU about to fire up manana-fingers crossed lol.

20221219_115632.jpg

20230206_151143.jpg

Here’s a snapshot of the rear, dual exhaust. This is from back in 2020 when my dad was attempting to start the engine without luck, at least one tail light was working :lol:

View attachment 1716045256
You only need winter to be over as even here in Southern Sierras without a heated garage it's no fun.

Looking forward to your updates. I hope to post a video of initial fire after repairs due to broken valve spring.

20221210_143443.jpg

-
Back