Real E body prices?

-
I think it's time I start looking for my holy grail car, a 70 aar Cuda. I've wanted this car my whole life, but want a clone so I can modify it and actually drive it. I do lurk over at the ebody site, but I really don't like the vibe over there. I've never seen a car with such whacked out values. I honestly can't even figure a ballpark.

I think a decent clone is in the $40-50 range. Does this sound about right?

Now this seems to be a tougher one for me to figure out. Another option is to buy a really clean uncloned car and do it myself. What does a clean, plain old 70 barracuda cost? I've seen prices all over the place. From $15-45k. Can a really clean 70 barracuda really be had for $20kish? A lot of the cars I see on line seem really shady, and a lot of guys are asking $30-40k for a 74 with ghetto paint, ugly wheels, air shocks, chrome chain steering wheel, and a chrome foot gas pedal.
Visit one in person with the ability to look under the car comfortably. Watch the front inner frame rails. Drivers side seems to be the problem child. Drive the car!!! If you can.
If you find a nice one and you have the cash, just do it... if the price is right!

Teaser pic. Yes it's the factory piece. :rolleyes:

20160404_195801.jpg

A few posts back there is a bare six pack intake. Is there a big chunk missing out of that Bad Boy? Yikes!

Went to Barrett Jackson Scottsdale last year.
I took well over 500 pictures. I would definitely go again.
Google Photo limits a Photo Album to 500 pictures
Here is a link to a batch if anyone wants to look through them... Not just Mopars
https://goo.gl/photos/gXcPrEZJAxfWDVwf7

Was a great auction if you were looking for an E-Body
Here are some of them. But there were more...
I considered most of these to be well to very well bought.

Clone 70 440 6 Barrel, Shaker SOLD for $36K
KQHzhLBEu2n2JKEnigF43F49_agYZIUl2fZwTzwRfQJHH2E37RqnorVaWDJfTw7-doUF_TXT0149CEZr4=w3261-h1834-no.jpg

70 Hemicuda Convertible Clone SOLD for $72K
t2pSwTgScxk-M34bft9gM6vaMPLi_X4pYop7NN7XHfEXkcdFHJ-miu9-dPfpgXW6jDRmgJJ-0Meqkc7tW=w3261-h1834-no.jpg

70 Hemicuda Convertible Clone SOLD $67K
zXDNMQswUBjtdt81yy3jOoHVbFmSOjMAdM19SQ4wBHGfTciYUvnT7r0rAbEJP9axiqOvMZRQ4CWQFblPD=w1033-h1834-no.jpg

4Ek5p7o1WSb8xnwT2dRLbTpXtX5lYf_XpcfKBPOtG_tcGHsEEN9ZnBPwSz2Red3fNanQNnVIgo5LiNOZz=w3261-h1834-no.jpg

Real T/A Challenger SOLD $52K
w8RST8Z-0Bvkx_CwAbW-46AxCaeaUwCx50Ub1TZNM1FzIEYtYZQhtVOx7vo2PF0SSe7xUOxlGUTNxXtK7=w1033-h1834-no.jpg

HAQL3w7KSIGyINpaE-ztGVYpzSk3GiZE9-Pm_CanGConlLU5vBe36SlddTinitJnabiTBKV-D1EX2L2Y2=w3261-h1834-no.jpg

70 RT/SE SOLD $50K V Code non-numbers
ynrP9TAYGhHmzrBo9zA8TEGI_Jyv8eCXvadTduns4GNJ_70U5M6Ifx90v5XYuWgkm9sCbpSfDOFHLnrkr=w1033-h1834-no.jpg

JiB3VLZlclYC72-ESJ1ISHlVJKRaoOsu65es64Lj8Ao6SqI0etdFhLeuAtfeNKxlaVjWtd-YQq37L_Ckh=w3261-h1834-no.jpg

70 Challenger SOLD $32K
n6VPbllw2ElUAqt8zegScbDovbK4pCs-ISDYO8G-N48IPWD-YToaqHz3Ao7Qd6AsvMNiU4btzJL2FT6uR=w3261-h1834-no.jpg

70 AAR Cuda SOLD $70K
r6rdkGcRLVfA8jAtqTJSSReyxUFUFm5MHZH9xa_qVONv8sJxfD8DsD7uKZb1DSQcJ2Nv1ducR7Xzw7DEs=w1033-h1834-no.jpg

QWc90CJQdbr5l22Q9-k8LfVJUfyyoa1do14oD2WZoyvBXvgNQfmo0j8tiqLfBZEluZ3NCXKOwmvDQGIWm=w3261-h1834-no.jpg

Hemi Challenger Convertible Clone SOLD $67K
gJHRM7JMzq1m_oWhIQtN52KfR54D_F2V0i1dYs-PCbYdjELs4Vg86YT3RdCH9SXc7Talt1iXOkMtzkIjh=w1033-h1834-no.jpg

g8mtqWfJntj1tlJI7ay9586mFSsv3fEUOnrAepaCzxTQnw3sQygM6pcPQ2bI7NZk_XUV3Rmr5aOS7ANrs=w3261-h1834-no.jpg

70 Gran Coupe Sold $40k
7UmRUnlIMWh5ag5QKbFLSCb8FXmNlY8yLvqtX1bXR7vFmV9BkMVvrnfwLMy9OmzgGA20yXb6_jrIXZrKM=w1033-h1834-no.jpg

8KVz2xHciK2nYxd78m3rEIXTCrft3Rk9gUJtwaiprm0Ml39GxW7io8vw2Yo-2isixMqDzhHmAmr0Wr95H=w3261-h1834-no.jpg

Even the cheaper cars are super nice. Those cars that sold cheaper, there prices are affordable.

E-body ..... i would buy a one already done that needs a little upgrading ...makes sense ...

Yes, those prices arn't bad at all. Re-storing an A oe E body cost damn near the same amount of money and is gonna take around the amount of time. Good prices for nice cars.

I have had restored 4 TA's and AAR's back in 80's early 90's. Yes a neat package, cool looks, they drive like any E body with the same drivetrain, sway bars, brakes, rear gear, etc. Is one really worth more than another 70-1 E body with same 340 less the 6pack and do dahs !?? Your $$. I dislike E body heavy long doors, rattles 95% seem to have, the sorry doorpanels that are like drums, the rust they can have (screws were rusting on them 40 years ago). sexy looks I love. But I quit E bodies by about 92 or so. I loved the plain ole 383 Runners, Bees, until the price of a good project for them got higher than I wanted to give, an went early B body and A body. NO regrets for me.
E bodies worth having are there, like the other member said while ago, I would be ready with cash and trailer when a good car pops up, get at least a complete roller or project, body /paint done or a just a solid car worth the money. I would not fall for the rusty idiot priced POS projects you see all the time. Spend more an get a decent car to start with. Just my opinion.

I have a friend with a Un-restored AAR that has turned down 6 figures. (he should have sold it) It's all what the buyer is willing to pay.

All depends on your $, your abilities, time and work you want to extend to the project, BUT if I had $ to spend, ...Like mentioned nice cars selling at BJ at affordable prices ( remember Few of the cars selling at BJ will bring those prices again anywhere but at a good sale), UNgrade a 70 car with the SSR parts. That is pretty simple, exhaust, carbs and breather , suspension which basically is sway bars. The heads are just J heads that can have the valve relocated,,,, came with TA offset rockers, I bet you have studied all this. Basically a stock 340 really with solid lifters. No they all did not come with quick ratio steering. stripes, spoiler, ..
If I still have one of mine I restored I would never drive it for its value. BUT I would drive a clone!!! Good hunting!!!

I have a friend with a Un-restored AAR that has turned down 6 figures. (he should have sold it) It's all what the buyer is willing to pay.

I have a friend that bought 3 years ago an AAR from the local Subaru dealer for $14,000.
A guy traded it in on a new car, he just was in the right place at the right time.
The AAR is very nice, and he still has it.

I prefer the A body styling... E bodies are starting to be like camaros .... especially now that you can get practically everything for them

A bodies are heading that way.
Give them 10-15 years.

Well after a couple days of research the answer for me is easy....buy a car from BJ or Mecum. After cruising their sites and researching ACTUAL sales prices it's a no brainier. They've both sold plenty of Cudas in the 30-50k range, and anything that they're selling is pretty much guaranteed to be clean and legit. I even found a few super clean real AAR's in the 40-50k's. I'd much rather spend 40-50k up front and have a complete clean car that I can enjoy while I make the changes I want. It just makes no sense TO ME to buy someone else's unfinished project, dump money into it for 5 years, and spend more in the end.

If you have good credit you can get a loan. I doubt an E-body will lose any money in 5-6 years. Especially a AAR/T/A

Do not take a loan out for a toy.
If the interest rate is right you actually want to take out a loan. There's no way I'm gonna fork over my money when I can play with someone else's. Even the ultra rich don't spend their cash unless they have to. It would be foolish to hand over $50k to save $2k over 5 years. I can certainly make way more than that with $50k liquid.

Last edited:
Well after a couple days of research the answer for me is easy....buy a car from BJ or Mecum. After cruising their sites and researching ACTUAL sales prices it's a no brainier. They've both sold plenty of Cudas in the 30-50k range, and anything that they're selling is pretty much guaranteed to be clean and legit. I even found a few super clean real AAR's in the 40-50k's. I'd much rather spend 40-50k up front and have a complete clean car that I can enjoy while I make the changes I want. It just makes no sense TO ME to buy someone else's unfinished project, dump money into it for 5 years, and spend more in the end.
Hemi Cuda

This should make your decision to go with an auction car too.

I just saw nice running and driving 73 360 car for sale in Manitoba for what would be $30k US swap some trim and add the strobe and there your clone start , swap the drive train as the stuff comes available meanwhile you are enjoying a solid car .

Why not people take loans out on 5th wheels lose about 50% soon as they drive them off the lot. Take loans out
on them shitty Harley's. At least on a E-body he will lose little to no $$$. And have a cool car.
A smart person buys toys that are used, and within there means.
I would never finance a hobby.
More important things to save for like retirement, children's education etc.

I will say I agree. I was in the car Business a long time. I was the finance director. I saw so many people buying cars and trucks. With payments I new they could never make. But, my job was to just get the loans bought.

A smart person buys toys that are used, and within there means.
I would never finance a hobby.
More important things to save for like retirement, children's education etc.
No that is purely perspective though probably a smart one from your position.

Let’s look at the otherwise of the fence.
House paid off or soon to be.
Near retirement or in retirement.
No kids/collage done for kids.
“Other loans” cleared. This leaves liquid cash. But not necessarily enough to purchase something in the 15K - 60K range right now.
After one sits down with a loan officer, does the math, then it is up to that person to decide if that payment is something they want to shoulder for the amount of time that loan is for.

Insurance on the car for the life of the loan should cover the loan until paid in full for that God forbid incident.

My retirement is locked in. I already know how much I’m going to make at a consistent withdrawal over the next 50 years. And it is now currently more than I’m making going to work.

So, for me, this could be a route to take if I WANT a certain something NOW! Instead of saving and waiting.

Purely a choice.

Oh! Also, IMO, a smart person (Not in the old car hobby) will purchase big boy toys brand spanking new as they come with Warrantees!

-
Back